My Experience with Fiber Ethernet

That was I thought in the beginning - you better buy this product because it is approved. On the other hand 35-80 EURO for a good FMC compared to 500 EURO for the product, than it must make a big different (SQ). But if there is a different than paying that amount would be ok.

Than I was told “The FMC you are using now is a basic off the shelf one. It has a lot of switching supplies and is feeding noise to your Linn.”

If that is the case, than “a “noise” level comparison (measurement) between the “basic off the self” and the product” would not be a problem to provide.

The reply was then “the information on our website is what we are making available to the public”.

Than the whole discussion about SFP’s - will my SFP’s work or not work.

Have a nice WE

Torben

Indeed, though I doubt any measurements will be forthcoming as most of these sorts of claims are based on FUD.

3 Likes

Add me in. No problem in years using pretty generic SFPs with Meraki switches at work.

3 Likes

ELTel as someone who has bought hundreds of Fiber modules, that is the only are of compatibly that I have ever really come across. Bigger companies like Cisco and HP have identification firmware on the SFP modules and in the software (but the mainstream vendors have that down now).

Even on Amazon it tells you which devices are compatible with which brands and you select the one you want, so it is not the issue it was 10 years ago (when I lost a whole network of switches (Finisar SFPs) after an urgent HP switch update took them all out :flushed:

3 Likes

Oh - that’s the inference we were supposed to take. Gotcha. I’m aware of that particular situation which I wouldn’t call an issue per se.

I figured that the implication was a Cisco switch with Cisco SFP not communicating with a different manufacturer’s switch at the other end of the patch. Now I get it.

I’ve only ever specced original SFP modules for Cisco switches. Seems strange to try and save a buck there when it’s not really the best idea. I always thought of that being akin to saying that if I put 16" alloys from a Ford onto a Porsche then the Porsche will drive fine (stud patterns notwithstanding); or maybe trying to run an AMG Merc on 2-stroke fuel: it’ll kinda-sorta-work. Maybe.

2 Likes

You be rich then :crazy_face:
I think the inference is exactly that as I have had that problem (sitting on dozens of old fiber nodules), but if it works in the switch it always talks to whatever is at the other end of the cable (as long as it is set up properly).
So for anyone prepared to do their homework on SFP modules it really is a non issue.

Currently Ubiquity 10GB (to Ethernet) modules are impossible to get hold of in the UK and I need a few. I jumped on Amazon and did a search and found a couple in a few minutes that will do me until the real thing is available and then will make a good backup. Total investment was 5 minutes

1 Like

Well, my clients would be, yes.

Slightly OT, but most Cisco support contracts would require original genuine Cisco parts or maintenance and support would be null and void. If you’re a bank and running a network that is an intrinsic component for tens of millions of dollars of trade per hour, a few hundred thousand dollars of extra marginal spend globally is neither here nor there for the certainty provided. I’m sure I am preaching to the choir on that one.

3 Likes

Absolutely, build a suitable priced network for the business level and support you need.
Most of my current gear is unify or ubiquity and they have been having shocking product availability since Covid, especially on the Enterprise stuff. I have been waiting 6 months for an aggregation switch Pro and no sign of it coming :see_no_evil::disappointed:

1 Like

Ubiquiti gear seems to be compatible with a few different makes of modules from my experience. I have used 10Gtek and 6COM generics, also Dell and Intel units. My Dell switches are a bit more finicky. Won’t play with the Intel modules, but worked OK with Juniper ones and obviously the genuine Dell models. Got my last Dell ones brand new on eBay for £3 each.

What a bargain Graeme 10GTek has become my goto secondary brand and have have been perfect in the 4 or 5 years I have used them.

We used to use Dell switches (and I still have a few) but moved away when they started to misbehave after updates and had issues with 3rd party modules all of a sudden, which might be linked to what you said.

For Unify and Ubiquity both their UNMS and Unify software platforms are just fantastic and make managing 40 to 50 switches a dream. Now if only they were as reliable as Dell, Cisco and HP equipment after updates are installed :grimacing:

1 Like

Indeed. I had 1000/1000 FTTH installed last week. Still trying to get it to play nicely with my UDM Pro. Speedtests are great, but that’s about all that works ATM. ISP reckons it’s an MTU issue. Back on VMs DOCSIS connection for now until I can work out what settings for MSS clamping need to be enabled on the UDM to work with iDNET’s PPPoE.

1 Like

I had a nightmare getting my UDM Pro working when I first got it, it kept saying it wasn’t connected to the Internet (into a Sonicwall via 10Gb fiber connection).

I think that I ended up plugging it via WAN 2 directly into the router (distant memories now)

1 Like

As a complete novice and with about 90 minutes of research, I setup my 10GTek kit about 18 months ago, unwrapped it, connected, powered up and it worked immediately with no intervention and has been running without problems ever since.

5 Likes

Now you are known as an Expert :+1:

1 Like

:rofl::joy_cat::joy:

ten char

1 Like

Could not care less about this World Cup. Not a dog in this race :wink:

So did you flag him for his comment about football?

Nope. Why should I?

It wasn’t me either, but if you want to spoil it for others, please do it in a different thread.

I just thought it seemed a bit harsh, but good to know it’s not you thanks, seems to be a bit more of this going on recently.

@Marian how am I spoiling it, maybe read my post before you post.
I was merely asking a question in a thread I have participate in