My First Gen Nucleus has vanished!

Roon Server Machine

Nucleus first gen internal SSD drive

Networking Gear & Setup Details

TP-link AX6600 mesh system with TP-Link TL-sg108 hubs running into hub was working fine.

Connected Audio Devices

none

Number of Tracks in Library

10729 tracks

Description of Issue

My Nucleus vanished the other day it was just gone I use Apple iPhone and iPad to connect no sign after many attempts to connect.

So tried to reboot 10 times no luck, tried to update keep getting error like the networking is not working. Tried to reset, turned server software off and on.Even tried to reset database and settings no luck.

So removed Nucleus from remotes and then installed on my Mac plugged into same TP-link hub as Nucleus still no where to be found.

I cannot go to web interface tried all options as before no luck still Nucleus no where to be found.

Please help

@Vince_Chacon, have you tried connecting the Nucleus to an HDMI monitor and see what the monitor shows when it boots?

1 Like

Rev A SSD has probably failed… you can wait for roon support or buy a new 128/256 M.2 SSD is maybe the smallest you can get these days. install ROCK on the Nucleus and then roon support can remotely reconfig it for Nucleus. restore your database backup - you have one of course I hope.

Hello Robert hooked up to hdmi it says my router is not giving it an address in the range assigned
169.254.x.x is the address where I find the admin page on my Mac
Should it be 192.168.x.x. ?

@Vince_Chacon, the 169.254.x.x. address means your router does not see the Nucleus (it is a self-assigned IP address different than your typical 192.168.x.x home IP address range).

The Nucleus is booting at some level, but cannot connect to your router. Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable as a first step? Otherwise i am tagging @support for you.

This sounds similar to my issue where the Nucleus+ is suddenly offline even though it is connected via Ethernet to the wifi satellite.

I changed the USB drive to a larger one and suddenly Roon Server is gone. It’s been hours and all of my Roon apps cannot connect to Roon Server.

This feels very unstable.

Hi Robert have tried three different cables two being new. Thanks for your help

1 Like

Is the Nucleus connected directly to your router? Have you tried rebooting your router?

As suggested earlier in this post. Change Ethernet cable, Reboot router. If still down, then switch the Ethernet cable to a different port on router. Then power cycle Nucleus after changes are applied.

–MD

Hi Geoff Was working fine then nothing 5 or 6 weeks ago connected to hub. Tried connecting directly to router still no luck switched cables 3 or four times now and my router reboots every night. I really think its a router setting but not sure.

1 Like

Hi Mike I must have tried rebooting 25 times and switching cables and locations multiple times.

Hi @Vince_Chacon,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! Can you please share a screenshot of the webUI?

Let’s also see if resetting the network settings on your Nucleus may help:

As a next step, let’s reset the network settings on the Nucleus. Steps to follow below:

1. Connect the Nucleus to a monitor or TV via HDMI.
  2. Connect a USB keyboard to the Nucleus.
  3. Power on the Nucleus and let it boot.
  4. Press ENTER
  5. Type resetnetwork
  6. Press ENTER

Let me know if you’re able to connect afterward. Thanks! :+1:

Hi Benjamin I I ordered a USB keyboard did the steps you outlined. Sorry no change attached is my web UI has asked for. Thanks for your help Vince

Your Roon database has gone kaput. The very small capacity boot drive is 100 percent available, effectively meaning no database.

AJ

Hey @Vince_Chacon,

Thanks for sending that over! We can’t rule out a network error just yet - you do have some odd network settings from the screenshot.

1. Do you have the option of attempting to connect the Nucleus on a different network? A friend or family member’s house? I realize this is a tedious ask, but it could provide clean answers to your issues.
  2. In the case that your network port may have failed, there is the option to test out using a Linux-compatible USB to Ethernet converter and see if you can connect via USB. Something like this would work:
    https://www.amazon.com/USB-Ethernet-Adapter-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B09GRL3VCN/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=usb%2Bethernet%2Badapter%2Blinux&qid=1704749511&sr=8-3&th=1

Hi Benjamin got usb adapter you mentioned. hooked up and rebooted got searching for network address and that’s it tried your reset network procedure no luck just searching for network address. Vince

Hi @Vince_Chacon,

Thanks for the follow-up! Does the webUI show you the same IP address when using the adapter?

Also, it would be good to review your local IP devices from your routers web management portal. Here’s a link that should help guide you on how to access this if you haven’t before:

The reason I’m curious on this is if you’re potentially running into a double subnet situation. You should be able to review this by accessing your list of network devices. Let me know how this looks! :pray:

Hi Benjamin tried to find the web, but no luck as the mesh routers have diffrent addresses? And their app tether will not work with Deco mesh routers. I looked at online clients in deco app it shows nucleus from before and it’s online. here is the screen shot from the monitor plugged into necleus.

That screen is in effect saying that there is a problem with your network - that IP address is not a valid address for home networks.

You need to have a single range of IP addresses set up for your network; Roon does not work across subnets.

In your posts, you first refer to having a TP-link AX6600 router and then later refer to a Deco mesh router - have you set these up to be a single network, or are they creating two separate subnets?