My Nucleus no longer starts up reliably

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus Plus 4TB SSD. Purchased directly from Roon about a year ago.

Roon version - 2.0 (build 1182) production

RoonOS version - 1.0 (build 254) production

Vendor version - 1.0 (build 14) production

Hardware Serial number - 54B20393983B

Hardware Vendor - Roon Labs

Hardware model - Nucleus+

IP address - 10.0.1.14

OS version - RoonOS 1.0 (build 254) production

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Apple Wifi, but tried Orbi as well.

Connected Audio Devices

NAD M10

Number of Tracks in Library

Formatted internal drive in attempt to resolve issue.

Description of Issue

Nucleus no longer starts up reliably. Typically takes several attempts to get it booted. When device does not boot, debug screen on HDMI A does not show up and device does not get IP address.

@support sounds like you need an RMA

Hi @Robert_Jagt,

Thank you for reporting your issue.

I’ve looked at diagnostics logging and there are a lot of connectivity errors. Dropbox backup timeouts, internet time retrieval timeouts, Qobuz timeouts, metadata server timeouts, device mapping timeouts, location timeouts with radio, and unexpected error timeouts connecting to your NAD.

I was able to get diagnostics logging pretty fast when I requested it but it looks like the Nucleus is having a hard time connecting to all kinds of things.

Can you better explain your network setup to me? What is the Nucleus connected to?

Thanks,
Wes

Hi Wes,

Had an internet outage this morning. So depending when you pulled the logs that may be what you are seeing. In any case, I have a Motorola cable modem connected to an Apple Airport. The Nucleus is connected over ethernet to the AirPort. The NAD is in a different room connected over Wifi.

To describe my symptom a bit more. When the Nucleus does not boot I do not get a video signal on HDMI A and the device does not get an IP address (0.0.0.0). Roon remotes can hence not connect to it, and the web server is also not reachable.

When the device does start successfully it works properly. Did not keep track precisely but I would say that the device only starts properly 1 out of 4 attempts.

Hi @Robert_Jagt,

It’s almost like something isn’t seated correctly but it’s also possible there’s a problem with the operating system.

Let’s do this:

1. Get into the WebUI for Nucleus and try to reinstall from there. This won’t impact databases or storage.

2. Send me a PM with the completed template below and we’ll get you an RMA to have the unit serviced.

Thanks,
Wes

• Where was the Nucleus purchased?
  • What was the Nucleus date of purchase?
  • What model Nucleus is this?
  • What is the serial number found on the bottom panel?
  • What is the best contact email address for you?
  • Where and who will the unit be shipped from (shipper’s full name and full mailing address)?
  • Where and who should the repaired unit be shipped to (if different from the ship from address)?

Hi Wes,

Re-installed the OS and during reboot device did not start. So that did not resolve the issue. Will PM you the requested info.

Robert

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.