NAD/Bluesound Grouped Zones out of sync, stopping playing, and/or skipping tracks [Investigating]

The last time this sync problems appeared in Bluesound products, it took a year to fix the problem. It’s ridiculous how long it takes for this company to fix bugs.

1 Like

Yeah… Bluesound / NAD don’t seem to prioritise Roon support… and customer support generally…

I had some Bluesound devices in 2019 and suffered some problems at that time too, which at that time never got resolved… They just kept blaming me and my network. Funnily all other types of devices worked fine without any problems :smiley: ended up with me selling all of it after more than a year of no help.

2 Likes

Still dropping out of sync at every change of track.
Started at 5.50pm NZT.

Getting quite frustrating having a platform that doesn’t perform the fundamental purpose of acquiring it.

1 Like

Indeed, this seems like just another example of this regularly recurring problem…there just doesn’t seem to be good enough regression testing for firmware updates in their products.

1 Like

Yeah.

I owned some Bluesound devices back in 2019-2020 too, and ended up selling them.

(Node 2i, Pulse 2i, Powernode 2i)

All of them suffered massive issues with Roon.

I don’t get why Roon let Bluesound maintain their Roon Ready status… :confused:

1 Like

I have a node and powernode and they work perfectly so it’s not all broken.

I had these same syncing issues with several Bluesound devices (two Node 2i, a NODE N130, and an NAD AVR dongle). I resolved them by 1) streaming all music from Qobuz not Tidal and 2) wiping my Roon database and settings and reinstalling the Roon OS (this was for a different issue but perhaps it helped/fixed the problem).

Is the sync problem still there? Has there been any fix so far?
Cheers

In my environment the problem still remains (checked this morning).
What I can’t explain to myself is why there is no issue if I group the players using the Bluesound App prior to using Roon.

1 Like

HI Markus, many thanks for the feedback and … sorry to hear this problem has returned. As mentioned before, it affected Roon-bluesound a few years ago. At the time I owned a full bluesound home system (Node 2i, Flex 2i, etc.) and multiroom sync was a big deal for me. Bluesound initially (6 months or so) did not even acknowledge there was a bug and always blamed Roon. It took over 12 months for the issue to be fixed when Bluesound issued a firmware update. This shook my confidence as you can imagine and I subsequently sold my bluesound units. I am really shocked to see this bug coming back and I sincerely hope it will take less than a year to fix…

The reason you can avoid the problem when you fist sync bluesound units via BlueOS: When you do this, you essentially ‘tell’ bluesound to handle the sync between speakers / units and Roon only sends a single stream to one of them. BlueOS takes that stream and then manages the sync. The bug is thus bypassed because all that Roon does is to send a single stream of music to (probably) one of the Bluesound units … with the BlueOS then taking over the syncing. This kind of works but it is not ideal for two reasons :a) you have to use two apps and go back and forth (eg. for voluem control), b) you cannot apply separate DSP to individual speakers.

The bug happens when Roon attempts to control multiple Bluesound speakers / units directly (as intended). In this case, it is Roon that handles the syncing across the individual bluesound speakers and that way you can enjoy applying dsp to each one separately and control volume for each from within Roon.
Best
Y

2 Likes

Hello Yiannis
Thanks you for the very informative reply. That explains it very good.
Yes, I do agree: the workaround is not ideal. When decided to go with Roon, the main reason was to have just one app to control the envirement. Although selling all my Bluesound equipment is (not yet …) an alternative. Maybe the announced October update of the Bluesound app will solve the isssue. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Again, thank you!
Markus

2 Likes

I’m not certain this is correct. I my case I can apply DSP and use individual volume control for my grouped Bluesound speakers in Roon. I get frequent out-of-sync when I initiate playing from Roon but stopping and restarting playback usually resolves the issue. Roon’s signal path shows DSP applied.

That looks good but just to check… are you grouping bluesound speakers via Roon? If so then DSP should indeed work and be applicable to each individual speaker. I am not sure if this works if you first group speakers via the BluOS app and then use roon (?). If it does work both ways then great :slight_smile:

Works both ways.

This is still a significant issue for me and getting to the point of actively replacing the BluOS products in my system and abandoning the brand altogether (M33 & Powernode).
The cynic in me would conclude this is almost deliberate by Lenbrook in an effort to push people into their “more stable” environment but for me I will not be locked into a proprietary tech used by a small number of brands.

This is happening almost every other song and I have non BluOS product in my system that sync fine across roon with one of the BluOS products but as soon as both are introduced it turns to custard.

1 Like

Hi Connor.

Any updates on this? A couple of months has passed and no words.

What is going on? Has Bluesound given any timeframe for a fix?

Kind regards
Anton

1 Like

They just dropped BluOS 4.0 and I was hoping it would come with fixes, but I can report that no, it still shows the same issues.

I can also add to this thread, that I did connect a Bluesound Node 2i (upgraded to BluOS 4.0.2) to my system and that device suffers exactly the same issues as the NAD CI580v2.

I think this is a BlueOS-related issue that most likely occur in more BlueOS devices.

I think those who don’t notice issues are probably on older firmware, or potentially not playing many zones at once.

I did send in a support ticket to Bluesound too but I have little hopes for response there as they don’t seem overly interested in their customers from historical similar attempts at getting them to investigate :smiley: My feeling is that they at some point managed to get the Roon Ready certification and has since no interest in putting resources on maintaining it… I think Roon seriously needs to put pressure on them, or consider remove the certification from them. I understand it’s most likely a device manufacturer that ships many Roon revices, and it’s not easy, but it sure does not make Roon look good!

2 Likes

Different behaviour in my environment after updating.
Synching seems to be ok (I did not test for longer periods - just roughly one hour). I will keep on testing and keep my fingers crossed.
I am currently running 1 NODE, 1 NODE 2I and one PULSE FLEX 2I. All devices running BluOS 4.0.2.

This is how my Roon log looks when playing on

Node 2i
NAD CI580v2
NAD CI580v2
Devialet Phantom 1

10/21 12:11:43 Trace: [Node 2i (pi60s) + Living room - Phantom + Living Room + Office] [zoneplayer/raat] sync NAD CI580 (4): realtime=365829137428 rtt=0us offset=-1812862us delta=-124us drift=309663us in 364.5765s (849.379ppm, 3057.764ms/hr)
10/21 12:11:43 Trace: [Node 2i (pi60s) + Living room - Phantom + Living Room + Office] [zoneplayer/raat] sync NAD CI580 (4): realtime=365828275625 rtt=0us offset=-1813724us delta=-63us drift=310530us in 364.5765s (851.758ppm, 3066.329ms/hr)
10/21 12:11:43 Trace: [Node 2i (pi60s) + Living room - Phantom + Living Room + Office] [zoneplayer/raat] sync Bluesound NODE 2i: realtime=365153774824 rtt=0us offset=-2488225us delta=222us drift=-15601us in 364.5765s (-42.793ppm, -154.055ms/hr)
10/21 12:11:43 Trace: [Node 2i (pi60s) + Living room - Phantom + Living Room + Office] [zoneplayer/raat] sync Devialet Phantom I Opéra de Paris Stereo: realtime=9046112074117280 rtt=500us offset=9045744431117us delta=178us drift=-2386us in 364.5765s

I find the paranthesis on each Bluesound device in the end of the rows interesting…

(851.758ppm, 3066.329ms/hr) means it will drift 3 seconds in one hour I assume? These values seems to be higher at times and I assume this might be what causes the issues?

1 Like