NAD M33 no Audio

AAC can be a bit funky. I wonder if it’s variable bitrate that’s the issue?

Went back in my memory to which albums I encoded _in the beginning this one was and it is ACC

The first track ‘I Heard it on the Grapevine’ the M33 just skips, click it, and a quick flicker and it jumps to ‘My Girl’ and plays that song.

Like wise ‘Joy to the World’ is skipped and jumps to ‘Ain’t Too Proud to Beg’

The songs do not seize the M33, it just jumps them.

Seems to be an issue with some ACC formats

My apologies. I thought it was only streaming via Airplay to the M33 and not from Roon. I’m assuming the Roon Core and NAS are on ethernet as well.

1 Like

I take it you have installed ffmpeg properly for Roon on NAS. You need they to decoce AAC. Is it all or just some?

2 Likes

Not sure how to do that, so I would assume no. I will dig through it. It is a Synology NAS and loaded the Synology Package. but missed any ffmpeg install needs.

That part “CLEARLY MARKED”

Appendix: Adding support for additional audio codecs (like AAC…)

Will look into it.

Just installed them and rebooted the server and did not fix the issue, BUT think you are on to something.

• AAC is the issue files
  • AAC on Synology needs extra support beyond the built in ffmpeg

I may try CORE on a Mac Mini that is my PLEX server as well.

Once again to YOU and EVERYONE reading and helping, Thank You!

1 Like

update Sep 16, 2023 5:22:03 PM

Built the CORE on a Mac Mini. More impactful than I expected. Home Assistant needed to be rewritten to all the new entities, after the integration was authorized, etc…

The NAD M33 plays all of the files

My hypothesis is the CrystalGipsy was correct on the ffmpeg and the Synology Package.

11 Days left on the trial, off to play more.

Thank You all for the thoughts, ideas, and tips.

3 Likes

If you’re up for some more tinkering, and don’t mind running an “unsupported” environment, you could also try running Roon in a Docker on Synology.

I did this when starting my Roon trial 4 months ago on a comparable NAS (RS1821+ with 20GB RAM). This topic gave me a good starting point.
I don’t have too many AAC tracks, but never ran into any issues. YMMV.

Happy listening.

1 Like

You still need ffmpeg installed for that as well if you want to play AAC. Windows and Mac it relies on the operating system support to decode them as both have that built in. Linux doesn’t as it’s open source and don’t want to pay the license fee so relies on ffmpeg.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, the docker image handles the install. I never added it myself and have no issue playing AAC tracks.

2 Likes

According to the Roon documentation it’s ROCK that doesn’t come with it. and apparently it’s also needed on some NASes I guess, but isn’t that because of an issue with the system install of ffmpeg? Not sure.

Anyway, regarding Linux:

1. On Linux, Roon expects to find the codecs installed as part of the Linux based operating system.

On Linux it will depend on the distro I suppose, but in Ubuntu it is included in the official packages:

1 Like

Not all distros have had it installed by default.
I had to when I ran vortexbox.

1 Like

Yeah not by default necessarily, but many general-purpose distros like Ubuntu have it as part of the official repositories that can be installed with the built-in software management.

Some may not have it, e.g. if particularly picky about licensing questions - but then anyone who uses a special-purpose distro should know what they are getting themselves into. (Though even Debian, who are traditionally strict with licensing, has it and apt install ffmpeg does the trick)

1 Like

Question

Is this a ‘bug’?

The need of ffmeg is not a bug, that is a requirement. The fact that the software does something to the file that puts the player into a non-responsive state would be a bug.

• The file can be played by the M33

What did ROON_Synology_CORE do the the file that resulted in the ROON_CLIENT_M33 failing?

Think that is a bug.

• CORE, not playing/sending the file, OK
  • CORE, not playing/sending the file and alerting in a log, BETTER
  • CORE, attempting to do something (aka transcode) failing because ffmpeg missing, and creating a corrupt RAAT stream, that causes the ROON_CLIENT_M33 to fail, seems like a BUG

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.