Synology D1812+ 32G

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Meraki 10G / 1G

Connected Audio Devices

NAD M33 Ethernet Attached

Number of Tracks in Library

1700+

Description of Issue

From iPhone ROON app I can select the M33, and it will switch to ROON, and show the album art, but no audio.

M33 works with

1. NAS Streaming (CIF File Share)
  2. AirPlay
  3. turntable

When ROON app attaches, it will switch to the artwork, but no Audio. If I unplug, hold power while powering, on, the unit will play (audio) a song, switch to another song, no audio.

ROON Core serving a RoPieee no issue, and will serve to Airplay devices, including the M33 if I add it as an airplay device.

A M33 owner here. have you set up the M33 in Roon under audio?

Is your M33 in the same network subnet as your Roon Server (NAS)?

Are you using Dirac at all ? If so turn it off I had this on the T778 where Dirac would crash and could not get audio I had to factory reset to get it back. Are you on latest firmware for the M33?

It would not show up at all if it wasnt.

Ah maybe not for RAAT, but when I ran my Roon trial I had my Roon Server on a NAS in a different subnet from my Marantz SR6015. Roon was able to see the Marantz (Airplay), but I was not able to stream to it.

Yes Airplay will as it uses bonjour/mDNS which can easily traverse. RAAT uses UDP. But op says he can select it and play to it it just gets no sound. Sounds like a BluOS issue, I had many when I had the T778, NAD are not the most reliable hardware.

Yes, I had it also as AirPlay.

I can control it, and if I power (unplug) it and restart it, it will play a single file. If I switch the song, it changes art work on the M33, but no audio, and not able to use the screen to play pause.

Yes, same IP Subnet, and same ‘broadcast domain’

I am using Dirac.

I will change it to off, but this would be a deal breaker for ROON. The room is very challenging for Audio (3 walls of windows, high ceiling, uneven walls) I bought the M33 because it can condition the room.

Thank You - I will see if it solves the issue.

Thank You - will dot eyes and cross the tees, but I should not have this.

ROON will talk to the RoPiee on the same network, but NAS is not the ‘preferred’ platform, just dang useful.

Update on trouble shooting

First, Thank You all for jumping in with ideas, they help spur new approach. I troubleshoot all the time, and one of my golden rules is test with the same variables.

Test SongA, switch to SongB

Keep A and B the same.

I was checking audio quality from AirPlay to RAAT/ROON. I know there is a difference, but can I hear it, on this AMP in this room.

What I discovered today is SongB (Handle with Care from Traveling Wilbury’s) kills ROON/RAAT. I can switch between other songs, hit that one, Album Art, and the AMP goes not responsive - ish

TEST 1 - Verify file capable of playing on M33

Use BluOS to stream the exact file off of the NAS. PASS

TEST 2 - Verify Consistency

Use ROON to stream ‘Wake up Little Susie’
Switch to Handle With Care
FAIL

Reboot

Use ROON to stream ‘Boots Made For Walking’
Use ROON to switch stream ‘Wake up Little Susie’
Switch to Handle With Care
FAIL

Test 3 Set ROON to lower bit rate

Go to settings in ROON for the M33 and lower the Max BitRate to 96KHz
Repeat steps of Test 2
Fail

Go to settings in ROON for the M33 and lower the Max BitRate to 48KHz
Repeat steps of Test 2
Fail

Test 4

Repeat Test 2 with Dirac turned OFF
Fail

At this point I have a file that ROON does not like, and ‘crashes’ or ‘seizes’ the Application on the M33, but BlueOS does not have an issue with.

Next Steps

1. Try the file on the RoPieee to see if it will play there
  2. Flip through the 1700+ Songs to see if I can find another that acts the same.

Any other thoughts

Apologies for repeating myself, but from the screenshot it seems that the M33 might not be in the same subnet as the AppleTV and the iMac. The IP address is of the M33 is 10.10.0.xxx, whereas the AppleTV and the iMac have 10.10.100.xxx.

Of course you could have a very big subnet :smiley:, or NAS and RoPieee are also in 10.10.0.xxx, which I can’t tell from the screenshot. If that is indeed the case, then please ignore this comment.

2 Likes

Get a new copy of that track and try it. Try changing it and transform it to a different resolution or format.

1 Like

If the sample rate is 88/24 I believe that with Dirac there has been a bug that causes them to not play with Roon. NAD were supposed to be fixing it. You could get round it by setting Roon to upsample the rate that causes it.

2 Likes

Thank You for double checking. The network is 10.10.0.0 /16 so it is a VERY large network just for easy of numbering. 10.10.0.x are network appliances, 10.10.10.x are services (like ROON is 10.10.10.2) then the clients ‘should’ DHCP into 10.10.10x.x

GREATLY appreciate the look over.

1 Like

The library is my digitized Vinyl Albums. Could be a bit error in the file. Odd that no other stream has the issue.

• moOde
  • NAD’s built in
  • oneTune
  • Apple devices
  • VLC

it is just ROON on both M33 and RoPiee that has the issue.

Looking at the encoding the file that is causing the issue “Handle With Care” was an early recording;

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Duration                                 : 3 min 15 s
Source duration                          : 3 min 15 s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 128 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 213 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 3.04 MiB (96%)
Source stream size                       : 3.04 MiB (96%)
Encoded date                             : 2022-05-27 11:58:10 UTC
Tagged date                              : 2022-05-27 11:58:10 UTC
mdhd_Duration                            : 195670

Files that are working are in this format.

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : ALAC
Codec ID                                 : alac
Codec ID/Info                            : Apple Lossless Audio Codec
Duration                                 : 5 min 6 s
Duration_LastFrame                       : -5 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 2 845 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 96.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Stream size                              : 104 MiB (100%)
Encoded date                             : 2019-09-04 11:00:46 UTC
Tagged date                              : 2019-09-04 11:00:46 UTC

May be just an incompatible encoder. I have the original WAV of the album and can re-encode, but a mystery of why.

1 Like

This appears to be the most likely culprit.

1 Like

Thank You but it is the same subnet 10.10.x.x is ONE subnet with a 16 bit mask.

If the M33 did not stream ANY FILES I would chase this, but, it DOES WORK for hundreds of songs, it fails on one set from one Album.