NAS Connection Lost, USB drive connected to NAS still present

Hi Eric, I am sorry to jump in but I am having the same issue, or at least it is related.

My library is composed by files stored on a share in a RAID (synology 412+) plus a directory on external drive connected to the NAS via USB. Many times Roon reports the share on the NAS is not present, however the external drive -that is also connected to the same NAS- remains active and fully available on Roon, which is weird. The only way to restore to normal is by restarting RoonServer.

Last time it happened, even though I restarted RoonServer, I had to remove and reconnect the share (but not the USB, which persisted) and Roon started rescanning my whole library (it´s been two days and still going). Please your help.

Thanks

Hi @Maximiliano_Doweck ---- Thank you for the feedback, very appreciated! I went ahead and moved your post to it’s own thread, as it seems like you are experiencing a different behavior than what was previous reported to us by the other user.

Moving forward, to help aide in my understanding of this issue, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following:

• A brief but accurate description of your current setup, using this link as a guide.

• Screenshots of your “storage” tab in Roon.

• When you are in this state (i.e Roon reports that the share is unavailable but the extrenal drive is available), can you confirm that you are able to access the mentioned share without issue via the OS?

• Please use these directions and send us over a copy of your Roon logs from the device hosting your Roon core.

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Below the requested info.
A. Core running Roon Server: Roon 1.3 (build 262) stable (64bit). MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. iMac Retina 5K 27-inch Late 2015. 3,3Ghz i5, 8Gb Ram.
Endpoints:

1. Same iMac running Roon 1.3.262. Audio
  2. Apple TV 4
  3. Mac Mini Late 2009, El Capitan 10.11.6. 2,26Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8Gb Ram, 120Gb SSD.

Storage: Synology NAS 412+ w/ 4 3Tb HDD + 1 Tb USB drive for DSD files.
Collection: 26090 tracks (500gb)

Network: Router Asus RT-AC66U. Cat5e cable, Netgear GS108T v2 ProSafe 8 port switch to connect NAS and iMac. NAS connected in LAG mode. 2xUnifi UAP-AC-Lite + 1 UAP-AC-LR for wifi coverage (MacMini and AppleTV over wifi).

B. https://www.dropbox.com/s/credj6m7tu3jcwm/Maximiliano_Doweck%20storage%20Screenshot.png?dl=0

C. Yes, it is fully accesible.

D. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrtmne65l968gze/Maximiliano_Doweck.zip?dl=0

Thank you!

Hi @Maximiliano_Doweck ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback!

Confirming that you logs have both been received and are in our queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech staff. Once my report has been updated with the team’s feedback, I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings with you asap. Your patience is appreciated!

-Eric

Hi @Maximiliano_Doweck — Thank you for your patience while our team has been reviewing the information found in your logs.

Moving forward, the team has reported to me that they are having a hard time determining what could be triggering this behavior to occur. In light of this, I have been asked to gather the following information:

• When you make this observations (i.e the share becomes unavailable) are there any error messages generated in the application, on the NAS, or from OSX?

• When the NAS drops communication with the application, what happens with the content in Roon when this happens? Does album quantity starts to decrease every second until it goes to 0 ?

• How often does the issue happen?

Lastly, the team is curious if you have tried mounting the NAS and your core directly to the mentioned router? If I am not mistaken the Netgear GS108T v2 ProSafe 8 port switch is a managed device, correct? Not saying that this is the cause here by any means, but you should be advised that we have seen issues with manage switches in the past, so we are curious if the experience is any different with this device temporarily removed from the chain of communication.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

• Any error? no. I have to say though that twice it happened after a power outage. In fact, yesterday the energy went out and once it came back Roon started to scan and rebuild the library (it is still doing it). I made an attempt to restore from a backup but it kept scanning the NAS anyway. I have a UPS and the NAS configured for a soft shut down when on batteries to prevent data corruption.

• I’ve obseved two scenarios. One with Roon informing me the storage is disconnected hence no album/track count at all, and the second is when it reconnects after restarting when it begin scanning everything as it was a fresh location. So, no count down or anything, it is more like as if Roon was connecting to the drive for the first time (like in the groundhog day movie :smile:)

• It happened four times since I am demoing Roon. My trial expires on October 19th, so it is like twice a month.

It is important to mention that the share where the music is stored on the NAS has Latin characters (//Diskstation/MiMúsica/iTunes 2015) so in order for me to be able to connect roon, I created a new share named Music and created a symbolic link in it pointing to iTunes 2015. So the share where roon is connected is //Diskstation/Music/iTunes 2015).

About connecting to the Router instead of the switch, that I can do, but it is not the world I want to live in permanently.

I am considering on buying the annual license. However, due to the aforementioned issues, I am hesitant. Furthermore, as Roon only works on SMB shares, I had to enable SMB on the NAS, and disabled AFP which was what I was using. It caused performance issues, as it is slower on macOS Sierra for file transfers. It is a penalty I am willing to afford in order to enjoy Roon.

But when you think of the full combo SMB speed + Library Rebuild + Latin chars + Router I am not fully sold, and it is getting harder for me on making a decision yet.

Thanks,

Hi @Maximiliano_Doweck ---- Thank you for you patience and my sincere apologies for the slow response.

A few things moving forward. Please see below.

You’ve mentioned the following in response to our tech team’s questions:

“I have to say though that twice it happened after a power outage. In fact, yesterday the energy went out and once it came back Roon started to scan and rebuild the library (it is still doing it).”

“I’ve obseved two scenarios. One with Roon informing me the storage is disconnected hence no album/track count at all, and the second is when it reconnects after restarting when it begin scanning everything as it was a fresh location.”

• My understanding of the above is as follows. You stated that this behavior has happened “4 times” since starting your trial period. So, twice this occurred due to the storage location being dropped off the network in Roon (i.e observation #1 - “storage is disconnected”) and the other two times were because of a power outage in your home (i.e observation #2 - “restarting”). Is this correct?

• Furthermore, in regard to the “first observation”, did you try testing with the NAS mounted directly to the router? If so, are you still noticing this disconnection with the NAS?

• We have changes coming in the next build, that may help with behavior.

“It is important to mention that the share where the music is stored on the NAS has Latin characters (//Diskstation/MiMúsica/iTunes 2015) so in order for me to be able to connect roon, I created a new share named Music and created a symbolic link in it pointing to iTunes 2015. So the share where roon is connected is //Diskstation/Music/iTunes 2015).”

• Can you please elaborate a bit further on this mentioned procedure?

-Eric

Hi Eric,
First of all, I am sorry if I am not clear enough. English is not my native language, but Spanish.
Yes, it happened four times. No, I haven’t had the chance to test it connecting NAS and computer directly to the router yet.

On the symlink, when setting up Roon for the first time I was not able to map the folder on the NAS where my music is stored (//Diskstation/MiMúsica/iTunes 2015). If you take a look at the containing folder, there is a letter with accentuation (…Música). When I asked the forum what could be preventing Roon on mapping this folder to access my library, I was told Roon has issues managing Latin Characters.

As migrating my library to a new location was out of question, the workaround was to create a symbolic link pointing out to iTunes 2015 directly from a //Diskstation/Music directory (ln -s /path/to/original /path/to/link). That way, I got rid of the MiMúsica issue, and no migration was needed. The system interprets the symlink and Roon picks up the music from my original folder without any issue. I’ve employed this strategy many times and it works.

I really hope the new build to help, because I got used to enjoying my system through Roon and I am willing to subscribe.

I have three more days before the trial expires…

Hi @Maximiliano_Doweck ----- Thank you for your patience here. I saw @mike had messaged you privately in regard to your trial period and wanted to offer you a quick update as to what the “next steps” will be in addressing this behavior you’ve reported to us.

Moving forward, we will be passing your report over to our QA techs for further testing to see if we can reproduce this behavior in house. Once my report has been updated with the team’s findings I will be sure to provide you with the team’s thoughts/findings asap. Your patience is very appreciated!

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Just checking in looking for updates from the QA team.
Thanks

Hi @Maximiliano_Doweck ----- Thank you for checking in with me, it’s good to hear from you.

I just checked in with our QA techs in regard to your ticket and the team has been struggling to reproduce this behavior in house. When I asked for feedback one of the first thing they inquired about is if you had tried shortening the chain of communication between your devices and connecting the NAS and core directly to your router.

I would like to get back to the team with another round of feedback so we can try to continue helping you, so please confirm if this test has taken place yet.

-Eric