Nativ Vita showing uncertified

The reason we turned this off was because they and others never got fully certified, but kept selling units with half baked implementations of RAAT.

After we turned off this bad behavior, most got their act together (but not all). Nativ was a sticky situation, because they’ve clearly disappeared or something. They wont answer our emails either.

It’s good to know side loading is possible, even with the associated issues mentioned. As long as RAAT continues to work and the Vita shows up as an endpoint, I’m satisfied to operate Roon on Vita on my smartphone and ignore the non-functional Vita app. Obviously the more significant concern is the lack of future updates to the Vita’s OS and the eventuality that a future version of Roon will be unable to use the Vita as an endpoint.

2 Likes

My issue is I took my time setting up Vita as my endpoint, and now I missed the cutoff and isn’t usable with Roon… I’ve been sitting on this thing in case Nativ comes back, but now not so sure that will happen. It’s basically a beautiful paperweight now.

Hello. What happened to this fix ? If I buy Vita used, do I have chance to run Roon with OK graphics and performance when sideloading this app ?

We have a box, but it’s not functioning. They didn’t respond to our emails, and it’s unclear if we could get into it without their help. I don’t think they exist anymore. Even the SSL certificate for their website expired and they haven’t renewed it.

A chance? Sure, but caveat emptor. If you are looking for a promise (or even confidence) of support, you won’t get that from me.

If you had one already, no harm in trying, but it’s risky to spend more on this venture.

Hi Danny, I am late to the party, I just get a Nativ Vita so I have no chance to register and setup before the deadline, so I can’t activate the Vita as endpoint even with uncertified marking?

I would return that Nativ Vita if your intent was to run it as a Roon endpoint.

FOR ALL FUTURE VISITORS TO THIS THREAD: do not purchase any Nativ Vita in hopes to use it with Roon.

Got it, Thanks, just wait and see how the development.

What development are you waiting on?

Nativ will come back someday after COVID, wishful thinking

@danny can you please consider helping those of us who own the Nativ Vita to at least enable some sort of ‘legacy mode’ based on Roon Mobile 1.7 - which was the last version working on the Vita if I’m not mistaken.

I’m also a lifetime subscriber and even though the device is old and Nativ Sound is not responding - Roon was working OK on it until Core version 1.8.

I understand they didn’t follow the right procedures with regards to certification - but it doesn’t seem right for customers who paid for Roon - to not have access or options to keep the system running, even without further updates or limited functionality. I fully agree, updates can’t continue forever, but it was a running system working, so is it not possible to allow it to run in the last working version in some sort of “legacy mode”?

By the way, the same story will happen with other devices - if Roon continues to update the Core and leave behind old hardware and clients - how long before the same thing happens to the Naim Uniti Atom or the Cambridge Evo? 3 years? 5 years? Is there a plan for that or will those devices also become obsolete in 5-10 years?

Plex also relies on web services and you can still install and run those clients from more than 5 years ago or older on just about anything.

I would like to understand the strategy for Roon functionality on approved hardware (Nativ Vita aside) and how long Roon customers can realistically expect to have a working system on Roon Ready hardware.

Thanks!

This had nothing to do with any version of software. If you we’re running 1.7 right now, you also would not be able to access it.

No software version update is going to break existing certified devices. We do have a plan for what happens if we were to go out of business. It is discussed here.

The thing that broke with these guys is that we turned off un-certified devices on our backends that sends down the RAAT code. We stopped allowing developer access for all. You may think the Nativ Vita was working, but we know of problems with it, and we do not want it to be associated with Roon Ready. There’s a lot on this community site written around the time of this enforcement, and I have no desire to rehash all those old arguments.

This particular vendor has been very nasty because they clearly have gone out of business during this transition from being quite relaxed to being quite rigid with our certification enforcement. In the first couple of months after we locked out the non-compliant devices, we were giving users with these devices developer access so they could continue to use them. However, it’s been well over a year. Where have you been? How long have you owned this device? When was the last date you were able to send it audio using Roon?

Hi Danny,

First, thanks for taking the time to reply to and to provide more context and clarification on Nativ Sound. I wasn’t aware they weren’t meeting their obligations on the certification side - since the Vita shipped with Roon I thought it was already certified.

And thanks for the clarification on certified devices - I’m glad that’s not a concern with properly certified hardware in that case, as I have been considering other Roon Ready devices.

It’s been quite a busy year+ for me with a big move and other activities, so believe it or not I haven’t been on these forums in quite a while and had no clue about the developer access mentioned as I didn’t receive any email communication from Nativ Sound or Roon (clearly you guys have no obligations, I understand) but there was no way I would have known there was a form or timeline without visiting this forum in the short time window this was being discussed. I don’t know about you, but I typically don’t have time to visit user forums each month for all the software and hardware devices I own :slight_smile:

Will reach out over PM with more details. Thanks again!

Dear Vita users, does anyone have a recovery file from Nativ. My Vita needs CPR and I can’t find a recovery file.
Finger crossed!
Thank you

Nativ vita’s now belong in the boggy graveyard of what could of been.
They are now unusable.

Yeah, what a shame. I still have mine but use it as an endpoint, it works fine however because it’s with the older Roon version, I can’t bring it up on Vita itself.

As Danny said before, not a device to buy even used. I would go for maybe a Node 2i instead if you’re squeezed for funds, does the same except for the screen but you can use it with RAAT so Roon on a tablet is good enough and looks great.

Besides, I don’t use the screen that much on the Vita. Would have been great if they had placed the firmware on GitHub, at least someone could have picked it up and improved it as much as the hardware allows it.

I have a recovery file.

1 Like

What do you mean by a recovery file? My Vita was working fine until I inadvertently tapped on Disable when I was looking to modify some settings. Now I can’t Enable it because of it’s lack of certification. So I too, now have beautiful brick.
Does your recovery file restore Vita to a certified level?

The recovery file was one of the downloads available from Nativ when Vita was still a supported product. It restored the Vita OS (highly modified Android) if there were boot issues, etc. It sounds like your problem is with disabling the Vita IN ROON. If your Vita used to work with Roon because of Roon’s decision to “grandfather” some of these devices (mine included), perhaps someone at Roon can give you a work-around. I DO remember being warned when I got my “grandfather” notice from Roon not to disable the device after Roon enabled it.

Can you post your email?