Native DSD instead of DoP on my DS DAC

I have been ripping my SACD collection so that I can play them in Roon. They are being saved as DSD64 files. When I play them on my PS Audio DirectStream DAC the files play as DoP. In the DSP Engine settings under Sample Rate Conversion I have Enable Native DSD Processing set to yes. Why are my files not playing in Native DSD over the Bridge II? Is there a setting I am missing? Or is this a limitation of the DAC?

Native DSD processing is unrelated to Native DSD.

Okay then let me rephrase. Why are my DSD64 files playing DoP instead of DSD? Is it just my lack of understanding? Is DoP just DSD under another name?

Definitely not. Can your DAC play native DSD, many canā€™t. Schiit, for instance, refuses to do DSD.

I looked up your DAC, PS Audio is a littler cagey about how they handle DSD. They only say they ā€œupsample to 10X DSDā€. Whatever that means.

[quote=ā€œJohn_Aiello, post:3, topic:29563ā€]
Is DoP just DSD under another name?
[/quote]DoP is a means of transporting DSD to DoP compatible DACs.

From dCSā€™s website:

"FAQ: What is DoP (DSD over PCM)?

The original idea for DoP was invented by dCS in 2011. It involves taking groups of 16 adjacent 1-bit samples from a DSD stream and packing them into the lower 16 bits of a 24/176.4 data stream. Data from the other channel of the stereo pair is packed the same way. A specific marker code in the top 8 bits identifies the data stream as DoP, rather than PCM. The resulting DoP stream can be transmitted through existing 24/192-capable USB, AES, Dual AES or SPDIF interfaces to a DoP-compatible DAC, which reassembles the original stereo DSD data stream COMPLETELY UNCHANGED.

If something goes wrong and the data stream is decoded as PCM, the output will be low-level noise with faint music in the back ground, so it fails safely. This can happen if the computer erases the marker code by applying a volume adjustment."

Hi mate

See Tedā€™s post #14 here:

The Bridge II only takes DoP not raw/native DSD (and only single rate DSD)

Always good to check with Ted and easy enough to do luckily

The DSā€™s USB and I2S inputs are the only inputs that can take double rate DSD, both native and DoP

1 Like

Similar to what you do with your iDAC2 but instead of up-sampling to 4x DSD rate (DSD256) the DS up-samples to 20x DSD rate (it increased from 10x to 20x with a recent firmware update)

Awesome stuff. Thanks everyone.

Yeah, awesome, but I bet you still canā€™t get DSD to your DAC. Maybe a missed Roon setting?

John mentioned in the first post that itā€™s playing via DoP, so the DSD music is getting to the DAC, no issues there.

Everything looks to be working as it should for the DS and Bridge II

Yeah, but I think his complain is that he doesnā€™t want DoP, but ā€˜nativeā€™ DSD64.

1 Like

Correct. But I guess that is not what is supported.

I said I guess. If you are going to quote me please do it with context and not just a snip.

Itā€™s a delivery method nothing more. If you have the PCM sample rate capable of delivering the max DSD format your DAC supports via DOP there is no real reason for Native DSD. Native DSD would only work on Window with an ASIO driver unless the vendor has a supported Linux driver. Native DSD is rather limiting when it comes to source hardware.

Native DSD is required for DACs that do PCM 384 max and also do DSD256 or greater. Similar if the DAC did PCM 768 max and also did DSD512 or greater.

Main drawbacks of DoP is double the bandwidth of native, and increased processor load in the endpoint due to decoding the DoP back to raw DSD. Only reason DoP was invented in the first place was to send DSD over gear that wasnā€™t originally designed for DSD. Kinda a bandaid to deal with a temporary problem. Much like USB for audio has been over the last 7-8 years.

1 Like