Naxos Classics Online HD - integration

He may be able to point the appropriate person to this thread Ludwig. Ideally they would have the opportunity to play with Roon and think about what it could be like for Classical …

Please point to Tidal integration in Roon as an example of collaboration…

If memory serves me correctly, there is someone as classics online/Orastream who was part of the Soolos/Meridian team.

@steveoat87 – dunno about Meridian, but no one from the old Sooloos team is there.

1 Like

I’ve been in touch with Classics Online and Orastream. As with all things, we will see what happens and will keep you posted.

But at a minimum, I should hope that you will get a properly crafted standard reply to requests for integration :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Keep up the good work, @robdarling!

Got this from Classics Online. A much more optimistic standard form response already ! Well done Rob :

Dear Sir,

Apologies for the delay. We hope this message finds you well.

Please be informed that our developers are now in contact with Roon Labs. We’ll let you know as soon as we get an update from them.

Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding this matter.

Warmest regards,

Kryshia Tabang
Customer Service
ClassicsOnline HD*LL

5 Likes

I’ve just received (April 26) an update from Naxos ClassicsOnline HD on integrating with Roon. According to them (see below), it’s in Roon’s hands (slightly modified for the sake of brevity):

We are writing to give you an update regarding your concern with Roon Labs Integration. Mr. Rob Darling advised that though they are interested to integrate ClassicsOnline HD*LL to Roon Labs, they will need to plan and schedule such a proposed integration based on prioritizing their various projects.

Our developers have informed Mr. Rob Darling that when Roon Labs is ready to take up the integration, they will make the introduction to our managers. At this point, this project is KIV until decision from Roon Labs.

[…]
Kearsy Rosete
Customer Service
ClassicsOnline HD*LL

That’s a very interesting response. Kind of weird that they expose some of the workings of the deal, and that they essentially speak for Roon without (I’m guessing) approval. But positive news all the same…

Yes, it does sound hopeful. In the meantime does anyone know a way of streaming Classics Online HD without using their (not very good) app?

Don’t think you can.

I have lately been quite disappointed in their high resolution selection. They used to offer virtually all of the BIS and Chandos recent releases in lossless format. Now they offer virtually none.

If things don’t improve, not sure I will renew.

Thanks @steveoat87 I’ve taken out another month’s trial after not using it for a while and have been disappointed to find that a lot of albums have disappeared. Also, that the app hasn’t improved at all.

I actually asked them about the disappearance and they never give a response that makes any sense. Here it is:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that some recordings under Chandos and BIS
labels are only available for Download (30-second previews only) due to our
licensing agreement with these labels. This is the reason why you cannot listen
the entirety of the album.

Please kindly take note of the following:

• Some BIS albums are only available for Download, 6 months after new release
    date

• Some Chandos albums are only available for Download, 5 years after new
    release date

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any
further concerns."

This is clearly not true because they were available until about a month ago. I followed up on this and never received a response.

It is starting to look like Tidal is becoming the least bad streaming option.

I’ve just found that Qobuz have discontinued their classical-only subscription - I discovered this when I tried to resubscribe after the Tidal trial had run out. I emailed them about it and got the following reply:-

Hello,

Congratulations on choosing Qobuz.

The Hifi Classique subscription is no longer part of our deals pannel.
The first subscription, Premium, lets you use Qobuz same mobility and offline.

Qobuz thank you for your interest in our services.

Good plays.

Looks like I’ll be staying with Tidal for the moment because of its integration with Roon and Naim… and maybe I should check out Jay Z and Beyoncé

1 Like

Just a bump. Any news on this front?

1 Like

Very disappointing, as this would have been a premier addition to the streaming services stable. I would bet money that most Roon users are heavy classical listeners, based on many posts on meta data issues I’ve read.

1 Like

I too am interested in an update.

Tidal should look at their search function – it is so much better for classical.

However, still not thrilled with their Orastream Player. Its kind of clunky, and the sound quality is not as good as Roon through HQ Player.

Would love to see an integration.

Agreed. I’ve restricted my participation to downloading purchases. They do have a nice catalog.

I think lossless streaming is still work-in-progress. TiDAL may be furthest along. But, still disappointing with all the skips and dropouts, especially irritating when tracks cut short and skip to the next.

+1 for NAXOS streaming online. Hopefully with the impending release of MQA software built in to Roon app this will be come a reality in the near future.

1 Like