Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wifi 6 Lan cat 6

Connected Audio Devices

Sonos One

Number of Tracks in Library

Local: 7 Albums
Qobuz - 1,500 albums

Description of Issue

Sonos updated and now Roon will not play anything over Sonos. The label comes up and says “Roon has lost control of audio device” I have read this has happened before in the threads so I have rebooted, restarted, disabled device and reenabled device. I don’t know what else to try. I am now about 3 weeks into the Roon experience and can not seem to get a stable experience. I have upgraded everything and yet the Roon experience is frustrating. I continue to try because when it is working, well, wow it is great. Anyone know how to fix the Sonos issue? Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Is your core machine wired to the router? If not try wired and that should help.

1 Like

Yes, I have the core on Lan. When I first started I was using Wi-Fi and read some threads and watched some videos trying to find a way for the slow searches and spinning logo to stop. Thanks for responding :sunglasses::+1:

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sonos - “Roon lost control of the audio device” after Sonos Update [Ticket In, See Workaround]

Is that instantly or after a period of time?
I’m streaming to a play one at the moment, it’s only just started so i’ll leave it playing and see if it stops.

Is the Sonos on Sonosnet, wifi or wired?

1 Like

I was getting ready to play yesterday and Sonos pushed notification of updated - so I went to the app and updated. Then went back to Roon and it will not even start playing. It says “lost control of audio device” - so it was immediate and still no fix. I have tried all I can think of. I might try rebooting modem and router as perhaps something is going on with that. Thanks for response - super glad yours is working. It really is good that others have not had the issues I am having. It gives hope to us who are having issues that this is not the “norm” for Roon. If it was, then who needs this aggravation in life. :wink:

P.S. I am playing via the Sonos App to the Sonos speakers right now, so it is just with Roon that I can not play the speakers. So I am paying for Roon but still using Sonos’ rather unpleasant app :sunglasses:

Thanks for confirming, hope it is fixed soon as I also use Sonos each morning.

It didn’t feel very encouraging for the months that the issues existed, but that only affected a small number and this looks much more wide spread.

I rebuilt my network 3 times during that time and ended up with a SonosNet mesh running off a Boost and the world returned to calmness after that.
I have started a couple of zones playing now after checking all the versions are in order and all is working well

Makes me wondering if Sonos has played with the Mesh settings. Might be worth getting them to do a remote diagnostic to see if it is doing what it is meant to be doing. Though I could not get Sonos to even accept that Roon existed and if it worked in Tidal and Roon they were happy.
Good luck getting this fixed you will get a lot of support from the many Sonos users here.

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

Yes for the monthly cost Roon interacts very poorly with Sonos.
I can only get live radio to play over airplay and I only have two speakers with airplay.
The non airplay speakers just cut off with live radio and Roon have never fixed the issue, I just use the Sonos app now, it just works. I’m very reluctant to spend money just to get Roon working with live radio.
They really need to invest sometime on creating a robust solution, Add the Arc Carplay issues into the mix and it doesn’t look good.

1 Like

UPDATE: Roon has updated a few moments ago. So far it has not fixed the Sonos issue. I have rebooted and will await to see if it all starts functioning

I am still awaiting resolution also. Sonos are recognized by Room but when I hit play - a few seconds delay and it says “Roon has lost control” I hope your issue is resolved quickly. Because you have a Nucleus you may want to start a support thread and perhaps get priority on a fix. It appears to be a widespread problem.

Workaround in the existing thread:

2 Likes