Network Acoustics Muon Filter

Their U.S. distributor sent me ENO to try, and I refused to return it.

1 Like

There has been a new version released: Muon Pro: https://www.networkacoustics.com/shop/muon-pro-streaming-system/
Has anyone already tried it?

1 Like

It says:

ā€œThe muon Streaming System by Network Acoustics is the ultimate Ethernet noise filtering solutionā€ ā€¦ ā€œno more effective way to accurately deliver noise-free data to your streaming deviceā€

But what problem does it solve? What noise?

Torben

2 Likes

Only heretics ask such questions. Real audiophiles would not! :wink:

3 Likes

You may have come across galvanic isolation for example? Bits are still bits - But there is more to explore :wink: Just have a view at Network Acoustics Muon network system - YouTube for example to get an idea.

Actuallyā€¦ no, there isnā€™t. If there were heā€™d be lining up for a Nobel prize instead of selling expensive but useless crap to people who had failed high school physics.

2 Likes

Try it, you might like it. If not, return it. Simple as that!

1 Like

It only works if you believe in it, alas. For everyone else it has less effect than a green marker has on CDs.

1 Like

Ok so we all know your preconceived opinion about products you neither know or havenā€™t tried / experienced at all.

So spamming this thread can stop and we can get back to what the thread creator had ask for.

I was sceptical that a filter between an eero mesh unit and my auralic aries 2.1 could make much difference, although I had already been surprised that a simple ethernet cable from the eero in place of wifi did bring about an improvement. The 30 day trial period for the Muon Pro cable and filter nontheless persuaded me to try, and I have been astonished. In complex jazz (Dolphyā€™s Out of Lunch as the test case) it has become possible to clearly follow every instrumental line; elsewhere I can hear lyrics clearly that previously were buried in the mix. Orchestral sections are now placed and the timbre of strings is glorious (with Chicago SO at least!). Nothing in decades of upgrades, tweaks etc. has made so unexpected and remarkable a difference. Anyone unable to hear so marked a change, regardless of whether they like it, would do well to consult an audiologist.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just had the Muon along with the new DCS Bartok Apex to try over the past 4 days. I firstly added the Muon along with their Ethernet cable & initially thought the sound was cleaner & more transparent so continued to listen over 2 days listening to various acoustic, jazz & rock music. Then decided to do extensive A & B testing as I already had the excellent SOtM CAT 7 Ethernet cable on various tracks.
The reality was they both sounded the same -I believe the brain can some time play tricks on us also depending on the tracks I played some are clearly recorded very well so sound amazing & others not.
I would appreciate however if there are any expert network engineers on here explaining how & if EMI & RfI can effect the sound of music through a Ethernet cable being a ex engineer but in the Military MOD field.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a small risk of interference affecting music, but if you donā€™t break Ethernetā€™s inherent galvanic isolation by using a shielded cable, and you have a half-competentely designed DAC, it shouldnā€™t be a problem.

If you think you have a ā€œnoiseā€ issue, pull the network cable from your streamer and let the buffer play out. If it doesnā€™t sound any different, then you have no issue. Noise only exists in the analogue domain. If youā€™re running from the buffer, itā€™s purely 1s and 0s - the potential analogue noise being passed via ethernet cable is disconnected.

People worry far too much about this stuff. The industry has taken an analogue issue and told us it applies to digital - it doesnā€™t. Thereā€™s a whole market of products which has grown up around a fabricated problem. Ethernet as is, is more than adequate for audio transmission. Anyone who says otherwise, fundamentally doesnā€™t the technology.

I was told my RPi4B endpoints were way too low-fi for my system and branded a heretic for powering them via PoE. Despite this, I can discern a -120dBFS 1 kHz test tone playing from my speakers via a Benchmark Media front end.

Noise? What noise?

2 Likes

Cannot Muon provide you with some measurements to show the impact of their filter at the output of a DAC?

3 Likes

Anyone try the Muon Pro along with copper to fiber conversion from router to switch or DAC?

1 Like

As always, the results must depend on the equipment concerned. Iā€™ve now removed the Auralic from my chain as unnecessary and am using the Muon ethernet directly into my Bricasti Dac/streamer, with results I prefer. Slightly off-topic, one discovery I have made with the Muon USB cable which is unarguable ā€“ after buying a T+A headphone amp to run off my Mac (Roon, integer/exclusive modes), I needed a USB C to B solution. First I used an apple adaptor with my Muon cable, which sounded just horrible. Changed that for an Audioquest adaptor, and immediate improvement; big relief. Encouraged I then bought an Audioquest C to B cable. It sounded as good as the adaptor+Muon to my ears, but soon I found if I did any work involving internet on my computer, I was getting skips in sound. Changed back to the adaptor + Muon and have stress-tested with not only internet but photo-editing programs, and no skips ever. The Muon cable must have some special juice! (But I suppose I should try with adaptor and another USB cable to determine itā€™s not a matter of the Audioquest being faulty.)

I route my Ethernet through this

Hoping that CERN is too busy to notice

2 Likes

Now thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about! However, Iā€™ve never seen that look on my wifeā€™s face before when I took the front of the house off to get it inside.

1 Like