New(ish) Music! What are you discovering?

1 Like

Good sounds. Thanks Dick!

1 Like

If you’re into post-bop this one fits the bill nicely…It sort of swings between bossa nova influence and really strongly to Coltrane’s Village Vanguard and early 60’s period, with some modern touches in between :slight_smile:

Very well recorded and executed latin fusion. The 1st track’s a bit off putting, imho a pacing issue; it should be the last track. It all peps up after the 1st track…

1 Like

I really like the eclectic mix here. It’s melodic Prog-metal at it’s core, but it really has some great jazzy noodly bits which lighten the whole affair. Very accomplished and tight sound. A keeper.

2 Likes

Epic, Dirk. I do like a bit of prog. Don’t know Galahad. Thanks for the intro.

This one is sounding like something I can explore more.

1 Like

This is an album I keep going back to often and true, it’s on the edge of what qualifies as newish but it’s so good I had to share due to so few actually knowing this artist and his work. Don’t bother checking it out if you can’t give the whole thing a listen. I’d say if you like prog, post and hard rock with a little bit of modern tossed in you’ll get what I get with this gem. Oh…and it sounds incredible on a good hifi!

RoonShareImage-636576610015527380

1 Like

I’m trying. I’m really trying.

1 Like

Having had Jim Maving play guitar with Don Gallardo at our last gig and being totally blown away by his playing, I thought I had better check out his band Case Hardin.

I found this on Tidal and it’s great.

1 Like

It’s not an easy one, Devin :slight_smile:

https://i.imgur.com/2rstrxo.png

3 Likes

I agree Anders. I really enjoy the music that is made NOW!

1 Like

Hi miklats

ref Live Wire

not familiar with that. sounds good. Actually, i will be honest, that’s pushing my usual genre boundaries. What is that classified as? Electronic Reggae? Neo-reggae? R&B? Tidal classifies as Reggae, but it doesn’t really sit right with me. I do like to label things :wink:

Classic Chris. A keeper! Thanks for the find. Worth admission for the 1st track alone, imho.

(Ref Case Hardin)

1 Like

Listening now to Gravenhurst. Thanks. Sounding great 50 seconds in.Lol. Will edit when listened all.

I’m guessing you like Steve Wilson/Porcupine tree, Opeth, Riverside, Devin? Oh… dear , now there’s a rabbit hole we could never recover from, lol.

This Gravenhurst sort of checks the Prog box too. They’re going on about folk, dream pop and such. Hmmm…

Reggae (redifined), critical R&B or simply Pop.

1 Like

I recently purchased a pair of hi-fi speakers from a guy in the UK. We had a brief music discussion and went on and on about Porcupine Tree to which I was unfamiliar with. Now you bring them up. Listening to Steven Wilson’s latest solo record now as I read up on him. You ain’t kiddin, Effen Rabbit Hole! It would take me at least a year to even being to say I’m familiar with his work but it could be worth it. So far what I can tell from listening to To The Bone is he’s an incredibly talented artist. His work is impeccable but…a tad bit too commercial sounding for me. That said, his back catalog is huge and given his talent I will continue to explore his work hoping for something that sticks hard with me.

1 Like

Since we’re on subject of psychedelic rock, or at least I am, anyone here familiar with Dead Meadow? They’re from Washington D.C. and fall in the Stoner Rock/Psych Rock genera, traveling the down a similar path as The Brian Jonestown Massacre.

RoonShareImage-636577237497264310

1 Like