New LS60W roon ready (with an asterisk)

blue speakers for you, a blue deluxe vacuum cleaner for Mrs. hammer :rofl:

3 Likes

Ouch! (10 char)

1 Like

sell the devialets to fund them

Going to take a few more Shekels than they will raise Iā€™m afraid :flushed:

You gonna have to accept you will never be able to retire, you just have to expensive taste for the finer things in life :grin:

2 Likes

The LS60s look like a very tempting option and the small number of reviews to date are extremely positive. Looking forward to hearing them. My wife will not tolerate a wired separates system in our lounge but ironically loves music and is agnostic to spending huge quantities of money so these are potentially a great option for me!

2 Likes

You could. Or you could wait for it to be Roon-Ready certified, and then it would function as its own Roon endpoint, with no additional hardware needed.

Just came back from a listening session at a Dutch KEF dealer (shout-out to Bender HiFi in Arnhem). The usual caveats apply: problematic setup/room, unfamiliar music, eardrum-splitting volumes (why, oh why?). Listening through all of this, the LS60W were impressive, with a large soundstage, superb imaging and controlled sound. Bass suffered from the room the most and mids appeared a bit coloured ā€“ Iā€™ll definitely need a home audition next to the LS50WII/KC62 to compare.

Had a very quick meet-up with the incomparable @Geoff_Coupe ā€“ thatā€™ll need a home audition as well, I guess. :smiley:

6 Likes

Good to meet @RBM in real life at last after years on this forumā€¦ :grinning:

Indeed, the volumes were unnaturally loud - vocalists appeared to be giants with heads positioned 2 metres in front of us. I only have my esl57s to compare the LS60Ws with, and I missed the transparency of the former, but as RenƩ says, that could all be down to the room acoustics and not being in control of the music and volumes.

The speakers themselves are striking in design, with an amazingly thin front profile - I can see that they will have a high WAF/HAF. Once they are certified as Roon Ready, and production ramps up (there are currently just two pairs of the LS60Ws in the Netherlands), I would like to see if I can persuade Bender HiFi to let me have a home demoā€¦

4 Likes

Sounds like the demo was at least enough to keep you both interested even if not ideal listening conditions. Your point about the high volume is a good one - weā€™d definitely want to know that these also sound great when playing at more moderate domestic harmony inducing levels!

Hello, I have a new set of KEF LS60ā€™s and want to renew my Roon account to use for these speakers. Iā€™m unsure if Roon will work on these at the moment. Should I give it a try, or wait until official certification release comes out? On another note, will Roon allow DSD playback to these speakers as well?

Thanks!

I donā€™t think they are Roon certified yet for use with the RAAT protocol, but they support both Airplay and Chromecast so they should work fine. Just pick your option. Airplay limited to 16/44 but that should in no way cause any issues.

When they are Roon Ready they will appear here
https://roonlabs.com/partners/kef

Thanks for the reply @Michael_Harris , looks like Iā€™ll hold off until they are officially Roon Ready then. May try out JRiver in the meantime for the DSD decoder / play backā€¦?

1 Like

Ah I missed the part where you didnā€™t have a currently active account.

Hopefully it will happen late summer , so gives you a chance to compare software packages

1 Like

As for DSD: the LS60 will accept anything up to DSD256 when RoonReady, but resample all signals to PCM192 (when interlinked via cable) or PCM96 (when interlinked wirelessly).

1 Like

Any update or guess as to when these will be Roon ready? I received mine recently, and really enjoy them, but am looking forward to having full Roon functionality. Like is 1 month from now a bad guess?

Pete Roon have a no comment policy on this.
Once they have passed the tests they are certified. It is up to the supplier to make sure the devices pass all tests or they go back for updates and retesting

But at least for now you have Chromecast and Airplay, so hopefully you are having a good musical experience

2 Likes

Interlinked.

ā€œA system of cells interlinked, within cells interlinked, within cells interlinked within one stem.ā€

A mysterious text in Blade Runner 2049, a very mysterious film.
From a mysterious poem, in a mysterious novel, by Vladimir Nabokov.

The relationships are discussed in this analysis: Blade Runner 2049 | "Cells Interlinked" and Pale Fire - YouTube

2 Likes

Donā€™t hold your breath, it will take a lot more than those KEFs to better the transparency and low distortion of an ESL. :smiley:

Sheldon

The ESLs do set a high bar, I agree. :grinning: