New NUC install won't boot

Hmm, come to think of it (my memory’s good but it’s short) while it didn’t get me to a place where I could press F2, it might have gotten me to the text I mention in my post.

Dunno.

Yeah, there was a lot of advice being flung back and forth.

UPDATE:

Still sitting on that blank screen after 2.5 hours…

Yep, I tried @Rugby proposal last week. Didnt get me any further. I had a douzen attempts to even get into the Power menu - an when I was there the option I needed was taking me back to that blank screen. Catch 22.

OK, I just checked out my strategy on my NUC.

The message I was referring to popped up without using the power button method.

It took about ten minutes to appear.

So, I have another experiment to try if you’re willing. I won’t help you install ROCK, but maybe it will narrow down what the problem is.

Disconnect all USB devices and see if you boot up.

Yes, I know this useless to solve your problem, but there might be some conflict between the USB bus and the BIOS.

did you say you got a new NUC7i7BNH but new SSD or RAM? or that you got new RAM and SSD but had not used it yet?

That gets me to that warmly welcome message:
“A bootable device as not been detected.”

Yes, that’s true, because you don’t have an internal drive with an OS and the device you wanted was the ROCK implementation on a USB stick.

At least, now you can get into BIOS, right?

I’m just trying to get to some place that’s stable.

I had used those components in the other NUC8 that would’nt boot, and then in the used NUC7 that booted, where I installed ROCK successfully but which had problems keeping a network connection an locked-up every 3 minutes.

Fun-fact: I was calling my Crestron integrator who is aorund next week for some maintenance anyway whether he could have a look at that NUC. His response: “NUC? No sorry, We don’t touch those.”

I’ve found that installers and integrators and the like don’t like to mess with anything that they don’t recipes for.

I know what I’d do at this point, but it’s pretty convoluted, so I’ll let others chime in.

Good luck.

Let me know

OK, I think the problem is some conflict between USB and BIOS.

We need to hook up your USB devices after BIOS posts, but before the boot process continues.

1. With no USB devices connected you should have a chance to (quickly (I think the default time for the splash screen display is 30 seconds)) attach a keyboard and then press F2. Do it fast before the boot process continues. Once you get into BIOS, set the parameter that controls how long the Splash screen displays. Set it for a value high enough to let you plug in a keyboard, before the boot process goes any further, so that you don’t have to hurry in step 2.
  2. Boot up your machine with no USB attached. Your should at that point, before the boot process goes any further, be able to F2 (after you plug in your keyboard) into BIOS. Do that.
  3. Now connect your keyboard and ROCK drive tell the BIOS to boot from it.

I’m shooting in the dark here, but that’s what I’d try next.

Might not work, but it’s just a try.

long shot but maybe try a different keyboard - maybe a friend or neighbour might have something you could try. I tried a MAC keyboard (USB) and it didn’t work

1 Like

Well, how??? thats the whole problem

OK, I guess I misunderstood.

Before you get this, you have a chance to F2 to BIOS, right? -

I assume that the RAM you have is stated as compatible with the NUC?

It’s a puzzle, ain’t it?

I bought the memory / SSD etc as proposed by the Roon Amazon link, so I assume it should be compatible.

NB: Well, maybe not. Intel says this Transcend 8GB 2400 MHz

The Roon Amazon link guides me to this: Transcend 8GB 2666 MHz,

So maybe a right honorable F-U in the Roon / Amazon link?

Transcend? That’s odd - the Roon KB page links that I see are for Crucial RAM

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

That said, I agree that the Intel list of validated RAM shows speeds of 2400 MHz and 2133 MHz, not 2666 MHz. I don’t know whether this would be an issue - perhaps a hardware guru around here would know?

yes, but also the 2666 version. I have both transcend and crucial. But both 2666 when Intel says 2400. Crucial isnt even listed on the Intel page.