New Pi and tracks skipping

Well I am clueless as to how to sort this if I am honest.
Which one of these in the last link would be best? The faster one? At that cost its definitely worth a go

I think I have 3 choices.
1 Get another data point in my office upstairs…although this would literally be to use Roon as I have not needed to do this
2 Just use the Tidal app from my lap top as it seems to work , although I admit to not testing it for long enough
3 Persist with the Pi and try and get it work…its just not a promising start and I want my spare time to listen to music not to be continuosly configuring devices to make streaming work.

For now I will try the dongles. If that does not work then I will probably just stream Tidal from the native app I think.

I will see how it goes over the next few days and weeks I guess

Just want to add Roon is doing something in the background as I have that whirring circle.
It says it is analysing my music …could this affect the wifi?

Steve the last link is a cheap dongle that has been confirmed to work.

The first one is a lot more expensive but looks like it would get a great signal to be honest.

I would probably buy the cheapest one and test it out myself to see that it improves things at a very low cost.

Sorry Michael in the last link there are two dongles…will either do?

That’s doing your Library analysis.
Might be using a good chunk of your bandwidth, it’s a common complaint for problems in the first few days.
Leave it on and allow it to finish

1 Like

I got the Nucleus back on friday . Why would it still be doing this? Or does it do this every time I reboot the Core?

Sorry Steve the link is to the first 300Mb version based on what I read.
They may both work but I don’t know that

1 Like

It cant even find my Burson tonight. Sorry this does not feel like it is going to work at all.!

Steve is the Burson connected to your Core or your Pi?

I assume you have tried the unplug and reboot method favoured by us IT folks

Its connected to the Pi
Its my headphone amp, it is in the office upstairs. I have tried unplugging and rebooting a few times.
Like when trying to use the Pi tonight its not even finding the Burson. then when it eventually does it loses it again within seconds

Not a good night. I have enjoyed 7 weeks with my HP set up in the office , it was flawless. I am assuming this was because my Core was my lap top for this time

As I sit here tonight I am thinking the only way is to get a permanent solution is a data point and a wire run through my walls. I feel that this is a little bit overkill just to use Roon.

Steve I think you are correct.
I am assuming that the WiFi keeps disconnecting so you should be seeing the pi disappear from the Core.

Maybe the WiFi dongles will help, but maybe not. It’s difficult not knowing your environment first hand

Yes I have ordered the dongle as it is worth a go.
If it does not work then the Pi will be returned I guess, which is a shame.
Then I can see how the lap top performs …if this does not work then maybe use the Tidal app.

Or of course the ultimate solution of another data point and network switch put into my office.

Can you have as many network switches as you like without impacting other things?

1 Like

Generally yes you can add multiple switches without issue.

1 Like

This has been going on all night

Steve that suggests that you have internet problems

I know that’s what it looks like , but I have been in this house for 10 months without a single issue

We did have an outage about a week ago as a builder cut through a wire. The whole estate was workout broadband.

However bt sorted this the same night .
I stream from Netflix , Amazon , etc and have no issues whatsoever

I may have rebooted my nucleus in the middle of whatever that screen is doing .

Steve
I worry to ask you this, but have you tried to change your DNS servers (this has been flagged before)

I have seen previous suggestions of 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 (this is what I use)

Or 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS)

You can often do this in the DHCP settings on your router, or if it doesn’t support changing them then you can set it and a static IP address on the Nucleus we config page.

I wouldn’t normally suggest this, but for you I think it is worth a go.

I just would not be prepared to do this just for Roon playback. I also seem to recall that the Router I use will not allow this

I think its an issue with the Pi. Tonight I have streamed music for 3 hours with no dropouts or issues from the lap top.

I then put tried to use the Pi, Roon found the Burson but as soon as I hit play it lost the Burson.

Steve I did think you might not want to do that.
When analysing your Library it does a lot of lookups and some ISP’S DNS can’t cope through their servers.

Roon is not without technical requirements that are beyond some and you might be in that category.

Once you get your WiFi dongle, post again, though as you have a Nucleus you should be able to get more direct support from Roon, regarding the likely issues with the scanning, as this is likely separate to the Pi issue.

1 Like

Thanks Michael. Do you have any idea why it is doing this analysis. I have has the Nucleus back since Friday Morning