Surface 7 pro notebook 16g ram ,

Networking Gear & Setup Details

802.11abg 300mb internal wifi

Connected Audio Devices

Mobile phone using Roon remote

Number of Tracks in Library

using subscription service of Qobuz

Description of Issue

The new Roon which runs Roonserver seperately appears load the overview pages very laggy and very slowly. Whenever I click into an artist page through the Roon then go under overview, it now only loads top ‘popular’ tracks and rest of the page in waiting icon stays on few minutes for the rest of recommendation to load.

I never experience this problem using old Roon using rooncore. At the beginning I even thought it was my laptop or network connection problem, but clicking through other section such as “compositions” or loading the Qobuz page loads fine pops up instantly. so Im sure something is wrong with the software somewhwere, makes the “overview” artist page loads soo long.

I tried to load it through an roon remote on android or through the roon app on my laptop to the same roon server and its the same.

7 Likes

It looks like the issue lies on Roon’s side. As I am suffering from exactly the same issue since yesterday.

Until Friday evening everything was fine.

3 Likes

Same here…

Same here…

Not here, loads within a split second, can‘t even see the jellyfish sometimes …

EDIT:
BTW, I‘ve been running Roon server in parallel to Roon without lags in the past before that change.

Same problem here. Sections of the Home screen keep taking a long time to appear.
It started yesterday, about 10 hours ago it was faster, now slow again.

I don’t usually like to add ‘me too’, but yes, me too. On the home screen I get the recently played/added section, then nothing more - just the ‘jellyfish’ wobbling away…
It does seem that a server restart sorts it for a while, which seems odd if the issue is at Roon’s end, although once the home page appears the recommended artist section at the very bottom still takes its time.

Michael

1 Like

Multiple restarts here. I don’t believe the issue being on my side.

3 Likes

I think you’ re right - just seems odd that a restart seems to sort some of the issues, although not all.

Michael

It doesn’t sort it at all it just a placebo your connecting later at a time when the latency is less. This is the nature of the cloud as it will slow down under certain load conditions it’s not the same everytime you connect. Server issues with Roon have always manifested like this which is why you get so many saying it’s fine for me must be your end. It’s not your end or anybody else’s been here too many times and it’s always their side and it tends to get worse over weekends. But it’s always about the timing, where you are and likey how your isp deals with the local cdn.

2 Likes

Some recent infrastructure changes lead to some instability. I’ve intervened to mitigate the instability for the moment and will be investigating the root cause. It should be fixed for now.

12 Likes

Thank you for communicating !!!
Dirk

@nathan
Is your ‘intervention’ ‘set-up agnostic’?

i.e. as the problems are being experienced by a significant number of people on a considerable range & combination of systems, will any positive effect(s) be experienced by everyone?

1 Like

I’ve found the extremely long lag on the Home Screen has improved from yesterday. Then the Genre screen was working ok but the Home Screen was terrible.

Today, the Home Screen is good but now there is a long delay on the Genre. I’m also getting random stops/breaks in playback where nothing seems to happen no matter what you press then all of a sudden, it comes back to life!

In addition to this, delays/lag comes and goes with adding tags. Sometimes it takes a couple of seconds but other times I end up cancelling and trying again until it reveals my tags so I can make a selection. The system just seems like it has a Jekyll and Hyde mentality at the moment. You just never know what you’re going to get.

Yeah - generally my interventions are going to be server side only. This case was just a server behaving badly. The intervention makes the server behave better without fixing the underlying problem (it is Sunday :slight_smile: ).

4 Likes

Playback errors aren’t going to be touching the set of systems that were misbehaving today. If these errors persist it might be better to kick off a thread specific to it as I’d suspect it is some local issue for those particular symptoms.

1 Like

Will do thanks. The playback issues have probably occurred 2-3 times over the last 5 days so not a big issue…I’ve just checked back on my Ubiquiti logs and there were a few high latency spikes so the dropouts and slow Home Screen may well be completely separate problems. I’ll keep an eye on it all the same.

Yesterday after the intervention I poked around for a bit and ended up finding a possible cause of the server side memory leak, fixed that, and overnight the memory use has been flat so I’m happy to conclude that the work has been upgraded from an intervention to a solution.

15 Likes

First thing today the Home Screen and tags were very sluggish… very. I decided to reboot a couple more times and at the moment it seems to be a lot better.

Will it remain like this is the question as over the last few days I’ve lost count how many times I’ve had to reboot to breath life back into Roon. No more dropouts so that may well have been Virgin Medias fault.

1 Like

As someone that was doing a fair bit of work with tags yesterday, they were a disaster and constantly disappearing and re-appearing a few minutes later.

Today Roon seems much better behaved which is good news.

@nathan Let’s hope it can stay that way for some time to come

2 Likes