New Roon Server mode is Slow

Yes, there’s a snappiness back to Tags at the moment. More or less instantly appear. Just hoping it stays like this!

1 Like

Yes I am planning an editing session today and at the moment it will be a pleasure, as opposed to the chore over the weekend.

1 Like

does this require a reboot on the user’s end?

Nope! This fix is all on our side.

4 Likes

I posted here Roon search extremely slow - how to fix it? BUILD 1353 about the problems I am having and whether I need to get a faster NUC to run ROCK. I’m still having problems - for example right now the album pictures (whatever you call that) aren’t loading. Now that you have fixed things on your end, does this seem to you like my problems are related to a slow processor on my end?

We’ve got an abundance of different systems in our back-end. The fix I did was specifically for the systems that handle portions of the overview page and details pages. Images come from elsewhere. If you’re having issues with search + images it sounds like there is a different issue going on more local to yourself. It might be a slow processor, it might be a shaky connection, or it might be something else. Probably best to keep an eye on that thread.

2 Likes

Well, screen loading, Home Screen and tags etc are greatly improved. I can move from section to section with relative ease at the moment so hopefully that continues. Before it was a lottery as to whether it would be slowish or very slow. If this continues I’ll be happy once again!!

So who is investigating the overall backend infrastructure now?

1 Like

I’m using a Nucleus. I noticed this morning that Roon has become unstable. It took ages and one or two re-boots to get it to change from one playlist to another. And it has just stopped mid-track.

Frankly our overall backend infrastructure is a bit too significant for just one person to oversee all of it. If you’ve got an issue that’s reported it’s on someone’s plate.

Sounds like a playback issue, unrelated to the topic here :slight_smile: .

I’m going to mark this thread as solved as I’m pretty content that we’re at the very least not experiencing the same issues any more.

There are lots of other threads where people are apparently still experiencing issues and there’s nobody from Roon around who provided any information like you did here

For instance, but there are others:

Except zenith further up in that thread but that was 6 days ago

2 Likes

There are different systems that allow different levels of responsiveness. I know Zenit is investigating those issues. I’ve not responded on an issue I’m working on in mixes for a week or so - I’ve got nothing to say there - I’m working on it and when there’s improvements I’ll say so. I’m sure that Zenit is in the same position with the search performance issues.

1 Like

All the while users are freaking out though. There have been issues for weeks by now

5 Likes

Hi. I’ve been having this same experience around the same dates reported here. I am not sure if my issue is the same, but I’ll share some details in case it does.

In terms of temporary fixes, a server restart tends to improve the situation (for a few of hours at best).

One issue that I am having that I don’t see mentioned here is that, after some days experiencing this general slow down, I lost access to the core and had to restart the server (on a Nucleus, in my case) three times to get it back. Yesterday I lost it again still it cannot be found (this time, I have not restarted or taken any action yet).

You are absolutely right! This is no minor topic to do now or sometime later.
Users are on pins and needles and feel very much lost when they get no feedback. Especially when things get worse for weeks now and no one is providing an outlook on what is the reason, what is the intended approach of a fix and its timeline etc.
@nathan Always have in mind that this is no freeware to try or get back by users rather than a sensible piece of software that users rely on a daily basis. And of course they also pay a considerable amount for it.
I am sure no one wants to see users quitting Roon like Roon unusably slow after update - #21 by Elling_Jacobsen

3 Likes

We finally have a Roon member @nathan that is communicating to us.
If we all start shooting again at the ‘messenger’, we will soon be back deaf, dumb and blind.
And then we wonder why.

It is clear there are some serious issues. Hopefully the right people at Roon are working on it.

But let us not kill the communication PLEASE !!!

Dirk

3 Likes

As I’m sure they are freaking out for mixes as well and I’m sensitive to that - but unfortunately the number of hours we’ve got in a week are not a function of how bad the problem is. I know Zenit is working hard on these problems, but the majority of time spent on bugfixing is spent fishing red herring and working on your tackle box and those things aren’t really announce-able.

I know it’s difficult and there doesn’t seem to be a common theme (I’ve personally had no issues during all these weeks, for instance).

Maybe a sticky banner at the top of the forum may help to inform people that Roon is aware and working on it - that might be all that people want for now. There are lots of threads about various new issues since the update (and many separate threads about what might be the same problem), and people don’t look into each one, so not everyone will be seeing your helpful comments in this particular thread, for instance.

1 Like