New streaming service(s) coming in 2023

To be honest, my AirPlay sounds good both via my AppleTV (with an HDMI audio splitter with digital output to my DAC) or even better via my Innuos Zen with USB out to my DAC. However, I agree that AirPlay isn’t ideal. Apple needs a better solution.

1 Like

Have you tried tethering an iPad (or iPhone) to a DAC? Again, not ideal from a useability standpoint as there is no way to control the playback (play/pause/skip) or music selection remotely. Sounds pretty good though. This is where Roon wins out (just not Apple).

I kind of think I agree, but I haven’t seen the new app yet nor its previous incarnation before Apple acquired Primephonic. Having really struggled to navigate classical music with other music services I imagine it will have something to do with the structure of the library etc. It may make sense when it comes online or could be a half way house solution until Apple find a way to integrate it properly. Ether way I am looking forward to trying it.

Oh no, Idagio is also extremely good at it. I would’t use it otherwise.

That was one hiccup that I had. But found out there are ways you can control the phone from the osx. My next question is how I do charge&ethernet&usb dac (maybe someone knows, did not google’t yet)

Really? How and what do you mean by OSX (a Mac?)?

I’m not sure what you are asking here.

Could this be the method?

Yes, I apologise.
OSX it is the operating sistem of Mac computers. I did give up using an iPhone but now might get a used one just to try this.

To connect iPhone to dac the phone needs a dongle. There is the double headed one so that you can connect the usb dac and charge the phone in the same time (so it will not run out of battery) or you can use the usb dongle to a ethernet dongle and have lan on the phone (have internet with no wifi) but I want all 3, dac and charger and ethernet cable.

Sorry again

There might be other options and better, maybe if ethernet connect I can stream iPhone’s audio. have to google a bit :slight_smile:

Interesting. I might try to figure this out.

I have a dongle with USB and lightening/charger input. Works fine apart from the lack of remote control. Out of interest, why would you want an ethernet port and USB? I assume your WiFi must be slow/unreliable? I like using ethernet for Roon as it is a big improvement in functionality/usability. Roon is very demanding. But Apple Music on an iOS device never has any issues on my WiFi, or any wifi in my experience. The bottleneck is the data stream to the DAC and this part is handled by the USB connection.

1 Like

I am not aware of a previous instance where Apple would provide content to another company, certainly not for just a few subscribers.

Nitpick:

macOS (/ˌmækoʊˈɛs/;[7] previously OS X and originally Mac OS X ) is a Unix operating system[8] developed and marketed by Apple Inc. since 2001. It is the primary operating system for Apple’s Mac computers.

5 Likes

The experience, search features, and display will likely be very different. Makes a lot of sense.

Only way to connect the iPhone to a streaming endpoint over the network is through Airplay at this time.

Yes, MacOS, it was a little confusing but he did clarify what he meant.

I know, just poking a little fun. It was called OS X for a while after being called Mac OS X (after they killed Mac OS 9) and before it became macOS, but it has been a while.

1 Like

Thanks, but I don’t think this is what I was looking for. I wanted to be able to select music and playback controls on my iPhone or iPad using another iOS or MacOS device.

You are right IDAGIO as well allows those types of searching
My question is, could Roon organize these types of searching?

I suspect that Roon could. I don’t know to be honest whether it does it or not. It does have the Focus feature, but I haven’t found it that useful.

Fully agreed