New streaming service(s) coming in 2023

Do Uwe both miss him?

:rofl: couldn’t help myself, sorry

If I had any :heart: you would get one for that comment :+1:t2:

2 Likes

You guys are all underestimating Uwe.

2.65 million, and that’s just the local tracks before he dared enabling Qobuz and Tidal! In recent weeks I have seen quite many people asking about libraries with 500K-750K tracks, this seems to be becoming more common.

That’s crazy. I make that to be about 200,000 CDs

He was a character kept trying to make Roon work with his large library, although I dont think he made the right hardware choice as was using a laptop and not a hefty desktop which you would need for this size.

2 Likes

Wow. Laptop? I would go for a comp farm

1 Like

Even if only in CD quality, that’s about 156.25TB.

Maybe Uwe is the next music streaming service to be added to Roon :grin:

15 Likes

Uwe in french is Oui

That is a lot of music. I would like that

I’ve never looked into it, but wouldnt the profiles option in roon cater for different family members?

Sadly no, they still share the same library.

That seems a bit of an own goal, I wouldn’t imagine it would be difficult to organise the database to cater to different user profiles and only display each relevant users favourites/playlists while using a single storage system and streaming service.

Slightly more complicated than that because each user has to have their own subscription (otherwise they would be violating the terms of service for the streaming platform).

But yeah, no idea why the profiles don’t have their own databases.

Well, there are family plans on both Tidal and Qobuz.

The inability of Roon to accommodate that is what people complain about.

I agree, just pointing out that they can’t share one streaming account which requires roon to actually handle multiple streaming accounts, which they don’t.

1 Like

Isn’t Hi Res Audio “integrated” into Audirvana, not sure how “deeply” ala Roon

1 Like

Same here, I must prefer Deezer as a music service.

Roon isn’t alone here with family accounts though is it, which makes you think why? Because they are not allowed under the t/c of how the api works.

Roon like many is a central server architecture which runs one account and it’s this tie to account and device that is authenticated to pull the streams and send them on to the endpoint devices from the registered streaming account. Two different streaming accounts for the same service cannot be active on that one core account device at the same time this applies to pretty much any computer or server that has streaming integration.

Well Sonos manages family accounts, why can’t Roon. Well Sonos is a very different architecture as the app is the device authenticating the chosen streaming account and it’s sending urls to each endpoint with the specific account token. So each users apps can be set to a different streaming account much like the native streaming apps operate. They store each accounts details on your main Sonos account so it can be easily switched on each app but the app device is doing the authentication not the central account of a central core server.

Roons remote apps are nothing more than a dumb remote to the core, they do not perform any streaming authentication or sending of urls to endpoints this is the cores job. Having proper multiple profiles in Roon to handle different libraries per user won’t solve this as you still can’t have two active streaming accounts at any one time on the authenticating device account.

Now there is a way to get around this and it is how Plex does it. Plex has the ability to share your server with other Plex user accounts. In Plex the streaming accounts are tied to the Plex account holder not a server so a Plex account holder without a server can add their own Tidal account and be a shared user of a Plex server and you can restrict access to certain parts of libraries if you set them up individually in the first place.

Caveats apply as only the main plex server user with PlexPass gets all the fancy integration a bit like Roon but not nearly as good of being able to add albums to their own Plex library and some other things. Only PlexPass users can use downloads so not available on free accounts. But if part of your home account with PlexPass can.

Others not having their own server or library just use the Tidal api in its basic form and the app manages authentication and sending urls to endpoints. Other users cannot use anyone else’s Tidal account not even Local Plex home users can share Tidal accounts.

To make it all feel more integrated you can create separate Plex user account for each local home user and add those to Plex Home, normally home users are just different local user profiles with different access permissions and don’t require a separate Plex account and they just see your library but as mentioned they won’t see your Tidal only local materials. By adding them as separate accounts allows each to link to their own Tidal account. But all of this means a lot of account management and secure passwords and isn’t fo those looking for an easy solution. Its not as elegant as Sonos which doesn’t need all these separate Sonos accounts.

Roon would have to have a major change to its whole architecture to accommodate family accounts and I can’t seeing this being something that’s easy to do or a short term project. Plex built sharing into its design early on.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree -

Problem is Roon was evidently designed before integration of streaming services would be a thing.

Monetization of streaming doesn’t really allow for this. There is a tremendous amount of data being collected about your listening, search, etc. habits Apple collects within their own apps that can sold. An API causes issues with this part of the service…

1. Either the API doesn’t allow for the same data collection and therefore the streaming company loses a revenue stream.
  2. It collects the exact same data but now both the streamer and the 3rd party have access to it which dilutes the “value” of that data since customers can just buy it from the cheaper source.

But why would anyone integrate with Roon? Why integrate with anyone?

Numbers… As a small / young streaming provider you need subscribers. 3rd parties help with that. The big guys / gals already have subscribers and that changes their focus towards finding new ways to sell analytics from that user base.

Anyway… that’s my theory. Some of this new integration might also be why Roon is now “internet on only”. There is always opportunity, quid pro quo, when two parties have something of value they are willing to trade. Roon holds some pretty fancy listening / library / curation data.

1 Like

Ad revenue from Spotify only makes up 12% of their total revenue (this is very low given that 57% of their user base is on the free tier). I would assume that most of the data being collected is used to create a much more sticky personalised service (making it harder to switch).

As far as I can see, there isn’t a lot of value in selling user listening data (otherwise Last.fm would be much more successful).

The result is still the same, large companies don’t want to integrate with third parties because all that user data is what keeps people stuck to the platform.

1 Like