New to Roon, no High Res 24/192 streaming?

So, total newbie here, but having trouble getting Roon to stream at high resolution (24/192) or anything other than 16/44.1 actually.

I am using high res content from Tidal, streaming to a Marantz AV7705 (only Roon Tested) and a WiiM Pro Plus (Roon Certified) in a different room. The content I’ve selected is literally a playlist of 24/192 when streamed by the WiiM without Roon, or by my iPhone 15 when streamed by usb cable to the Marantz into an HDMI port.

I know that the Marantz HEOS app can stream 16/44.1 from Tidal, but the same app streams 24/192 from Amazon, so I assume that Roon going directly can bypass the Tidal challenge and swing the 24/192.

In fact, in the few hours I’ve been playing with it, I haven’t seen anything pushed at higher than 16/44.1

I don’t understand the extensions at all, but I did download and install the HQPlayer extension, but have no idea how it works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

1 Like

Just a quick thought.
Have you enabled hires streaming under settings:services?
See screenshot which is for Qobuz but Tidal should be similar.
And welcome to Roon.

2 Likes

Hey @George_Inskeep

Welcome to the forums! A screenshot of your signal path would help greatly in diagnosing what is going on – like this:

2 Likes

Wiim pro plus happily streams 192 as you can see

1 Like

Welcome to Roon. Very nice setup. Beautiful equipment rack….

1 Like

Are you using Airplay to both devices as that is limited to 44.1. You need to ensure the Wiim Pro Plus is on latest firmware and in Roons Audio settings you have enabled its Roon Ready zone.

As for the Marantz they only connect to Roon via Airplay over the network as they are currently not Roon Ready only Roon Tested using Airplay. If you use the iPhone direct to Marantz using its USB dac input and a Apple camera adaptor and enable the phone as the zone in Roon and make sure it’s not a private zone so others can control it it will work up to the max the amp supports.

Tidal is being slowly updated to 3rd parties to allow access to their new hires streams, not all companies are there yet so this means Roon is still only able to access hires older MQA offerings , which is how Tidal handled hires material prior to this change. This requires a specific MQA DAC to get the full hires. You can enable Roons MQA decoder which will perform the first stage of MQA decoding, unfolding to 88.1/24 or 96/24 but you won’t get the final stages as that needs an MQA dac. Marantx don’t support it nor does Wiim.

Amazon Music isn’t supported in Roon so not sure hoe your managing to stream it by it, some Christmas Miracle perhaps?

2 Likes

Why do you have the center speaker above the TV? Seems to fit below…?

1 Like

HQPlayer is an expensive third party app that is geared toward the needs of the audiophile who needs to obsessively tweak and shape his system’s sound. Unless you have a golden ear, you don’t need it.

Once the other considerations detailed above are addressed you should be GTG.

3 Likes

This is below….

6 Likes

I got confused with the Amazon/Roon, I stream Amazon at 24/192 from HEOS, which I have been co-mingling with the Roon in effect. The HEOS app shows all sources kind of at the same time.

I also have had Qobuz, Spotify and Pandora subs recently, but got rid of Qobuz and Pandora.

Great information about MQA. So much to learn, though it seems it should be simple.

The WiiM was purchased this week specifically to be an endpoint for Roon. Well… that and to give me an EQ capability for the headphone amp.

Master enabled…

1 Like

Hi @George_Inskeep,

Did you see this post?

Without this there are too many assumptions to be able to answer your question.

Can you please take a screenshot whilst playing a hires track… and post it here.

Here is the signal path for the headphones… showing MQA 192, but 24/44.1 on FLAC….

Here is the signal path for my Marantz…

And here is at least part of the problem… you can see that this track, shown here as 16/44.1 on Roon…

is 24/44.1 on my iPhone, streaming through usb cable.

The forum isn’t letting me respond right away because I’m new. Everything has a delay while my posts get approved. I responded in his text, as you’ll see shortly.

There was nothing pending when I posted, but it looks like our post crossed.

192K PCM to Marantz

The signal path shows you are using the AirPlay protocol to stream to the Marantz … AirPlay is the bottleneck as it limited to 48khz.

Can you connect to the Marantz via USB?

1 Like

MQA to Wiim Pro

That device doesn’t support MQA decoding,
In Roon make sure the device setup it correctly set to align with the device’s capabilities.

Once set Roon will perform the MQA decode, which will get you x2 rate out Roon … the rest is up to the DAC.

Why is there so much round and round in this thread? The issues are simple.

1. Denon/Marantz HEOS is not Roon Ready. At this time. HEOS may become Roon Ready at a later date. Until then, it is Roon Tested via AirPlay, which is limited to 16 bit 44.1 kHz.

2. Roon does not support Tidal Max. At this time. Roon may support Tidal Max at a later date. Until then, Tidal is limited to 16 bit 44.1 kHz lossless PCM or up to 24 bit 48 kHz folded MQA.

3. Streaming apps other than Roon, especially mobile apps, do not provide an accurate chain of custody. Just because an app reports that it is streaming some form of high res audio does ensure that it is outputting high res audio in that same format.

AJ

10 Likes

It certainly appears to be. What sucks is that I got the WiiM for Roon because it showed that it was also compatible with HEOS for Max res. It actually shows up as “Roon Tested” on the sources but doesn’t allow me to use it.

Unfortunately you are confusing “Roon Tested” with “Roon Ready”.

Only the later supports Roon’s network protocol RAAT … Check out …

If you want Hi-resolution and don’t have a physical conection from a ROON endpoint (eg your WIM) into your AVR , you may want to take a look at setting up RHEOS as an extension. This not only allows192 Hz streaming but allows direct control of the AVR from ROON controls . It’s in late beta and working for many users (approaching 6000 downloads). Until DenoonMarantz offer a ROON ready implemetation (timing unknown) this may be worth exploring if you have a raspberry pi or want to use other approaches to runnng the extension.