No audio outputs on end point PC since upgrading to Win11

Roon Core Machine

Core: Windows 10, HP Prodesk 400 G4 8GB Ram, i3 8100T
Endpoint PC: Windows 11, Self build, Ryzen 5 2600, 16gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

All connected via ethernet via Asus RT-AC88U

Connected Audio Devices

Also connected (and working perfectly):
Pioneer N50 (via USB output from Core),
Chromecast audio,
Google Mini,
and 2 RPs, one running volumio and one running RoPIEEE

Number of Tracks in Library

6700 Trackes

Description of Issue

Since upgrading my office PC to Windows 11, Roon doesn’t see the audio outputs on this office PC.
This office PC isn’t the Core - that is a separate miniPC in the lounge.
In fact, from the Roon software on the office PC, when I go Settings → Audio it list as ‘This PC’ outputs all of the ‘Core’ outputs instead of the office PCs outputs.

I did wipe my Core PC OS as well to change the drive from MBR to GPT and reinstalled everything (Win 10, Roon Server etc) and everything else, including all of the endpoints, are running beautifully. I just am not able to listed to music in my office via my office pc.

I have tried switching off the firewall on both the core pc, and the office pc and this doesn’t work.

I have also tried making the office PC the ‘core’ and when I do, Roon sees all of the office PCs outputs.

Any help gratefully recieved

Thanks all

I would re-install from scratch on the client PC. First, I’d go to User/AppsData/Local and rename Roon to Roon_old, and RaatServer to RaatServer_old. Then install the latest download. And see if that corrects things.

Thanks Rugby. I’ve just done that and this time I don’t see the Core’s devices, which is a step in the right direction maybe… I just don’t see any devices at all now under the ‘Audio’ in settings.

Did you try and reinstall a backup?

Hi again Daniel. No, just a clean install and just uninstalled and reinstalled my core as realised that I couldn’t see any audio devices from any of my devices. I can now see all my devices, bar the win10 pc in the office.

Tired up for a few days but will try with reinstalling from a backup next weekend. Thanks for all of your advice.

The first thing to check on the office PC is that it is a firewall issue. Turn it off briefly as a test, do you see the devices? If, yes, then review the firewall setting. If no, then, I can suggest other things to check.

Hi Daniel
Yes, first thing I tried was to shut down the firewall (private, public etc) on both core and the office pc, but no difference.
Will play with it this weekend when I’ve got a bit more time, but I really appreciate your time that you’ve given already, trying to help. You’re a star!

Yesterday I uninstalled Roon on both the Core PC (win 10) and the office PC (win 11), carefully removed every reference to roon in the registry using regedit, took the firewalls down on both PC and still the same - no way to listen to audio via roon on the win 11 pc in the office with the Core on another win10 pc.
I couldn’t revert to a backup Daniel, as I stupidly wiped the win10 pc where the core was to attempt to upgrade to win 11 (I had to convert the drive from MBR to GPT) :frowning: . Now I have to wait to be able to upgrade the core to win 11 - I’m hopeful that having both on win 11 might solve the issue… though not very confident. I did look to revert the office pc back to win 10, but I’m past the 10 days where that’s possible and I can’t face a full reinstall.

Hi Stewart,

Did things work out with both PCs on Win 11?


Hi Daniel

No joy - I’ve given up for now and am just accepting that it doesn’t work for the time being. Long term might try to get a second hand chromecast audio that plugs into the hifi in the office. I’m aware that others have had this issue but that it’s resolved itself over time, so maybe that will happen for me :crossed_fingers: Thanks again for all your help Daniel. If I do manage to get it sorted I’ll be sure to post to the forum to let everyone know. The most frustrating thing is that I have a lovely DAC connected to by pc in the office so listening in there whilst working was a joy. I’ll get it sorted at some point…bloody win11!!

Hey @Stuart_Hudson,

Ben here with the support team, you have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response and for your wait. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

Since none of the above steps have helped you with your issue (thank you for all the help so far @Rugby) I’d like for you to try one last thing based on the information from this thread.

Specifically, If you’re comfortable editing the registry, try clearing out everything in HKCU/Software/Windows-SLS as well as resetting the physical_address key.

I will be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

1 Like

Hi Ben
Yes that worked! Thanks Ben - I’m finally up and running in my office. Thanks so much.
Thanks too to Daniel for his help.




This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.