No centre image streaming 192khz & 176.4khz file via Qobuz

Running Pi4 with Riopeee XL
IAN Canada Transport Pi AES
AES out to DAC

When streaming either a 24Bit 192Khz or 176.4khz file via Qobuz the centre image shifts to the far left.
I can play all other files types 44.1, 48, 96 and the centre image is correct?
Unsure what’s happening grateful for any help on this matter.

The Digital delivery side isn’t going to affect the balance of a stereo image, it has to be like that in the masters. This will be either be in your dac or amplification stage, check your setup and try on a different piece of equipment and see if you get similar results.

I have checked all wiring from input to output and also checked speakers for correct phase all connections look correct.
Maybe the speed of the AES input on the DAC (Mark Levinson 502 AV Processor) is limited to only 96khz??
This is a legacy processor released in 2008.
I will try and find out what the capability of the AES input is on the surround processor

Does the center image really shift to the left or does the right channel simply go silent?

The image shifts far left but the right Chanel is still playing I can hear the vocal when I get close to the speaker

Just the vocal? And how silent is it? Difficult to say based on the description but if it’s very silent it’s possible that this is just crosstalk in the amp and digitally the right channel is entirely silent

The audio level of the right speaker appears to be the same level as the left but the centre image ■■■■■ to the left only when streaming any file greater than 96khz.

I think the problem maybe the speed of the AES sockets on the AV Processor this was released in 2008 and I would assume that the AES would only support 96khz. I guess I could load Volumio and output the audio via the HDMI port on the Pi directly into the AV Processor to see if I get the same result??

You can tell roon the device supports a max of 96.

If that works correctly you know it’s the DAC.

Very unlikely you’ll be able to notice a difference between 96 and 192.

Greg

Yes OK I understand that’s a good idea I’ll give it a go👍

I had something similar. Moving around the speakers solved it.

Greg

OK this has worked the centre image is back.
I think the speed of the AES input on my surround processor may only be 96khz and is somehow screwing up the stereo image when streaming a 192khz file through this AES input??
The processor was released in 2008 so I think at this time most AES audio inputs on DAC’s would max out at 96khz unless you was running the DCS Standard DUEL AES.

I found this the bottom statement is relevant here.

1 Like

A lot of digital transmission formats (ADAT, MADI …) switch to multiplexing across multiple channels as sample rates get high.

If the clocks aren’t all set correctly in the studio between devices - all sorts of signals turn mono, and turn up in the wrong place etc.

AES is usually the one that doesn’t - and these days 192 isn’t an issue but the case you quote is clearly an exception!

And all bets are off for gear made in 2008.

But if it works at 96 don’t worry.

I usually record at 96, I could do 192 - but I can’t convince myself it matters and almost everyone I know sticks to 48!