No longer connecting to SMB shares on Synology via Hostname

4 posts were split to a new topic: Folders from 2nd NAS backup not showing up

@support Any updates? I’d love to see any potential fix for this from Roon is possible?

I am not seeing a repro from any other device in my house that connects to the Synology. They all work fine with \name\share

My Roon is currently humming along with the work around of \name.local\Share

thank you!
-Mohammed

Hi @Mohammed_Samji,

Thanks for your continued interest in this issue. There is an active ticket with the QA team but no additional updates at this time.

One key piece of information here is if the .local workaround works for everyone affected by this behavior. I know that you and @Mario_Bucco have confirmed that it works, but if @Phil_Jeremiah & @Daniel_Blount can confirm it would be a useful data point to have. Thanks!

Back from holiday. Tried “smb://Synology_Music.local/HD Music” and “\Synology_Music.local\HD Music” and got “Invalid path specified” back.

Just to confuse matters further, my library increased in size and it appears that the “\Synology_Music\Music” link reconnected all on its own (I’d left one of the folders in place just in case). Unfortunately when I try to add the “\Synology_Music\HD Music” back in it doesn’t get accepted and as you can see from the above I can’t reconnect to the address.
Stranger and stranger…
Regards

Hi @Phil_Jeremiah,

Thanks for confirming that the .local address did not work.

This would seem like some kind of permissions issue to me, do the two shares have the same permissions? If you try to create a new folder, does that get added to Roon properly?

Is WS-Discovery enabled by default? If not, does enabling it help?

'> Is WS-Discovery enabled by default? If not, does enabling it help?
It wasn’t. It is enabled now. No, it doesn’t fix it.

'> This would seem like some kind of permissions issue to me, do the two shares have the same permissions?
Yes, same permissions
'> If you try to create a new folder, does that get added to Roon properly?
No

From the picture I can tell that you’re in Roon and trying to create a new folder in a share. Roon asks for a name for the new folder and you entered a complete share path instead. I’m pretty sure that Roon’s response “Invalid path specified” is correct here.

Where you are right now:
\\192.168.0.120\

The complete folder path you asked Roon to create:
\\192.168.0.120\\\Synology_Music.local\HD Music

I assume you tried the same non-working thing you tried before as you got the same error.

Have you tried the same thing again eventually?

To add a new network share in Roon Settings|Storage you have to click on + Add Folder which opens the “Choose Music Storage Folder” and then on the blue text + Add Network Share.

grafik

Don’t click on the button labeled “New Folder” directly below if you want to add a network share!

TBH, why can’t ROON work like EVERY other audio software that I have that lets me navigate to a folder directly. I’ve set ROON to use the static IP address now

A post was merged into an existing topic: Can’t access ROCK File System or NAS via Hostname

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.