No playback on Windows 10 PC

No matter what song I choose in my library it does not play. If I choose an album or artist it quickly goes through all of the songs as if they aren’t really there.

Hi @Christopher_Perkins ----- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation with us.

Moving forward, may I kindly ask you to please provide the following:

1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here.

2. Please confirm if you are currently making use of any active firewalls or antivirus applications in your setup. If you are, could you please temporarily disable them and confirm if this action triggers a change in behavior.

-Eric

1.3 build 234 64 bit
Windows 10 PC
AMD Processor 6 GB Ram
USB connected external hard drive solid state

Windows Defender is the only program that is active, I think.

I was able to play music through Roon app from Android tablet on same network

Hi @Christopher_Perkins ----- Thank you for providing the requested information! Could you please try disabling Windows Defender and if there are any firewalls still up, please (temporarily) bring those down as well.

-Eric

I experienced this behavior yesterday. I traced it to a settings mismatch between the Windows driver and the device configuration in Roon. In my case, it appears as if Windows is dropping the maximum resolution (24/196) settings and the 7.1 output over HDMI settings in the Windows driver upon reboot. Go back and check both ends of the signal path, reset to defaults on the Roon side, and you should get audio again. Make adjustments from there. Drove me nuts for about 45 minutes troubleshooting this.

Why would those stop local software from playing local content? I have no problem playing the same music from other media players on the same computer…

Thanks David. I don’t think I understand what I am using well enough to follow your instructions. I do not have trouble using other media players for same music. I did look under device output in Roon and reset that to default although I am a bit lost on all of the settings in this part of the software.

Hi @Christopher_Perkins ---- We have seen on multiple occasions where firewalls and antivirus applications will interfere with Roon processes, such as playing back to endpoints and communicating with remote devices, for example.

I would strongly recommend (temporarily of course), disabling Windows Defender and confirming if this yields a change in behavior here.

-Eric

I disabled Windows Defender, this had no effect.

So if that had no effect, and you are able to get sound from Roon out on your Android device, then it is probably something in the audio settings on your Windows 10 PC.

Are you able to post screenshots of what your current settings are?

Thanks but I am going to cancel membership. How do I delete my account and remove billing info after cancelling membership trial?

Hey Christopher,

@support can definitely work with you to get things running smoothly on your PC.

If you would like to cancel for other reasons, let’s flag @kevin here – he’s dealing with accounts with Roon.

As information about accounts is usually private by nature, I’ll hide this thread from public view. Stay tuned for follow-up!

Hi @Christopher_Perkins, what a bummer to see you go! @support is still on standby if you’d like to get this resolved, but for now I’ve removed your billing information from our payment processor’s database as requested, and it looks like you were already able to cancel your membership.

How about you let us know when you’ve got some more time to troubleshoot with us, and we’ll revisit then? We’re happy to give you an extended 30-day free trial whenever you’re ready – just get in touch.

1 Like