No remotes can connect after 1.7 update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK running on NUC5i5 just updated to 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core hard wired Ethernet through Cisco unmanaged switch to UK Sky Q router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and Bluesound Pulse Flex with wired network connection tons through Cisco switch

Description Of Issue

After updating ROCK installation, together with iPad, iPhone and Windows 10 laptop remotes to latest builds, none can connect to core. I just get the Roon symbol alternating with the ‘trying to connect to core’ message. ROCK reloaded and rebooted. ROCK web screen showing all things functional and showing on network with usual DHCP IP address. Apps deleted and reloaded. Router rebooted. No change.

Hi @jobseeker,

Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing on the remotes?

Have you tried also rebooting your networking gear?

Is the Windows 10 remote connected via Ethernet or WiFi?

@dylan Windows machine is Ethernet. Only the iOS devices are wi Fi. Literally everything in the chain has been rebooted - Core, router, switch, all remote devices including laptop.

For some reason the images won’t upload. The screen alternates from the usual Roon symbol that you get when you launch the app and then the ‘Remote Connection’ header with the ‘Waitting for Remote Core’ sub-header and the ‘It is taking longer …’ message.

Thanks for the update, @jobseeker.

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

@dylan I am now seeing this screen after relaunching the app. I have previously had my core on the laptop. I note that the ROCK core is alternating every few seconds between available and not available. If I try to connect to ROCK the result is the same. Should I try connecting to the laptop instead? That seems to be constantly available.

@dylan Ok, so it looks like the problem is that Roonserver is restarting itself every few seconds in my ROCK installation. If I keep renewing the web screen, it comes up as ‘not running’ then the timer starts from zero and before long it goes back to ‘not running’ and the cycle starts again. I have reinstalled and rebooted to no avail.

Hi @jobseeker — Thanks for the update. The team is still looking into this, I’ll be sure to update you ASAP once I have their feedback.

I am also seeing this issue. The ROON software restarts after 20 seconds, continuously. This is frustrating :frowning:
UPDATE: After a few more minutes, my ROON server is now available again. Woohoo!!!

@dylan No improvement here. I still have no system.

Had the same issue, solved it by reinstalling the remote-app and waiting a few minutes…

@Christoph_Longree e So you had a ROCK installation in which Roonserver was constantly restarting every few seconds and reinstalling the control app on a single device cured it? That most certainly (along with anything else) has not worked for me.

I run Roon on an iMac and after updating to the new Version my iPhone and iPad could not connect to the Server… I them reinstalled the remote app on phone and pad and voila - it worked…

I suspect you just needed your remote app updating to the latest version. That’s completely different to my issue. Still waiting to hear from @support how to fix.

Nope - I updated the iMac and then each Remote to the latest version and then I had exactly the same issue as you decribed… until I reinstalled the app… anyways - good luck - hope you find the fix soon!!!

Hi @jobseeker — Apologies for the delay here.

We were seeing some unusual traces in the diagnostics report, so we brought this to the senior development team for feedback. Based on what they’re seeing, there appears that there may be an issue with the SSD that Roon is being stored on that is causing this issue.

Our team has suggested reformatting this drive and completely reinstalling fresh. If this doesn’t help, you may want to run tests on the drive and see if any issues are reported.

A post was split to a new topic: Can’t connect to Windows from Android/iPad

I’m not sure I know how I would reformat the drive within a ROCK installation?is it done from the BIOS settings? Presumably my 1tb music library drive will be wiped when a new installation is done and it is recognised for the first time again?

I’m not convinced that this is a hard drive issue. Too much of a coincidence that it all started with 1.7 update. I am NOT happy about this.

A post was split to a new topic: Unable to connect to ROCK on 1.7

Hi @jobseeker,

The drive will need to be reformatted from a machine running another OS. You should only have to do this with the drive that Roon is installed on, not your internal storage drive housing your medial. You have our apologies for the trouble here, Paul. If you have any questions please let us know!

Hi @jobseeker,
Did you proceed as suggested?
I have a similar problem and would like to know whether it helped.