No sound from Tidal after update to 1.5

After the update to 1.5 I am having problems with getting sound at all from Tidal using Roonserver. I get 1-2 seconds then nothing. Playback in app seems to progress fine.

Signal path is: laptop with Roonserver, JPlay dual-pc.

Local media plays fine, problem is only with Tidal. Both SD and HD. Strange thing is that Roonserver plays Tidal just fine to other endpoints than my Jplay setup.

Ideas?

Hi @Johs_Gjela ----- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us.

Moving forward, to help aide in our understanding of this behavior you are running into when streaming TIDAL content via Roon through JPlay, may I kindly ask you for the following:

• Please provide the exact details of your setup using this link as a guide.

• Please provide a screenshot of your signal path leaving Roon when you notice the issue occurring.

• When the issue occurs does Roon generate any error messages or warnings?

• Being that local content is playing fine and this behavior is only occurring when Jplay is being used I am inclined to think that there is something in JPLay configuration that is causing the issue. I had another user report a similar behavior while using JPLay and they ended up switching to “classic mode” to address the issue.

-Eric

To elaborate.

Playback has been stable for months on my rig. Both Tidal and local FLAC. No dropouts or any problems at all. The only time playback has stopped, is when cpu has been stressed on control pc which runs roonserver.

Now after update, at least I think that is the cause, Tidal is unplayable. I get 1 second from time to time, then silence.

I am running Windows Server 2016 on my laptop where Roonserver runs.
JPlay on this one, which sends to my audio-pc running same os and jplay. Both 64-bit.
The laptop is an older Acer with a dual-core processor. 2 gig ram.
My local music is stored on the harddrive of the laptop.

Roon does not generate any error messages, sound just drops out.

No matter what I do with Jplay daclink or buffer, engine, wasapi or kernel streaming, and restart Roon, nothing changes with Tidal playback.

This has been working fine for a long time now no hiccups at all on the same hardware.

It seems Roon loses contact with Jplay driver. When playback is working, the control panel JPLAYSettings is not available. Nor should it be.
However. When the dropouts occur, I can access jplaysettings. Could it be something between Roon and the driver?

Hi @Johs_Gjela ----- Thank you for the follow up and continued feedback. Both are very appreciated!

Based on these symptoms you are describing this does seem like there is an issue going on with the JPlay driver. If JPlay is removed from the chain of communication (temporarily) and you load Roon (as a remote) or Roon bridge on the second PC (i.e the "audio pc) do you experience any issues?

-Eric