No sound / songs via Marantz AV8802A

Hi, first post, new user, trying Roon and Tidal demos. Currently using Win10 from Dell XPS 9350 Laptop, trying to broadcast via any means to a Marantz AV8802A. I am able to do this w/o issue via Spotify. I have Ubuntu 16 (my primary OS, not much help here) and Max OS X (very old laptop) available to help troubleshoot.

Currently, Roon can see the Marantz on my wireless network and connects via AirPlay. (I’ve never used AirPlay on any platform, and don’t really know what it is or how it works.) However, when I play a track in Roon, no sound comes out of the system, and the Marantz doesn’t show track info.

I am able to get sound out of my laptop speakers via Roon, although Tidal Masters sounds atrocious, with audible distortion at any volume. I suppose that’s a separate issue.

Appreciate any support, and apologies if I’ve breached forum etiquette in any way.

Edit to add: Tracks are now refusing to play, which would at least be a good root cause for why there is no sound. So, why are tracks refusing to play. :slight_smile:

Hello @Evan_Pickett,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to assist. Can you please confirm that you have the correct Zone selected from the bottom right-hand corner before starting the playback?

To expand further on this please take a look at our Audio Setup Guide and Zone Setup Guide. If these settings are correct and the Marantz zone is indeed selected, please provide a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio tab so I can take a look for any signs of strange behavior, this screenshot should look like this:

Thanks,
Noris

Hi,
Here’s the screenshot.

I am able to connect to the receiver - for example, if I have it set to TV, then tell Roon to play in that Zone, the AV8802A switches to Online Music. However, it doesn’t produce any sound, and doesn’t seem to want to select AirPlay - instead, it selects SiriusXM (I don’t have that) or Flickr (I don’t have that either).

Hello @Evan_Pickett,

Thanks for that screenshot. Just to confirm here, if you try to start playback via Roon and then manually select the Airplay input on the Marantz receiver, does sound get outputted then?

I am not sure if the Marantz has upgraded itself to the Airplay 2 protocol, if it has, we currently do not support Airplay 2 and you would need to facilitate another type of connection to it (possibly HDMI via one of your computers). Please let me know your results when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

According to this page,

https://marantz.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6713/~/marantz-avrs-supporting-airplay-2

my AV8802A does not support Airplay 2.

According to the Marantz manual,

http://manuals.marantz.com/AV8802A/EU/EN/GFNFSYjfglxuxr.php

AirPlay should be automatically selected when a device (e.g., laptop) streams to it, and “Online Music” will be selected. This does happen, but no sound is played, and the progress bar for a given track does not move.

It seems like a few others had a similar issue, but I don’t know if the RC is the same:

Thanks for confirming that info for me @Evan_Pickett. Can You please let me know the following:

• If you change the Volume from within Roon for that zone, does the volume on the device change as well?

• What is the behavior like if you do Airplay streaming from iTunes using that same computer? Does it work as expected?

Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi,

iTunes connects without issue and starts playing via the 8802A after a couple of seconds.

Changing the volume control for that device/zone within Roon does not have any effect. It defaults to 100, and lowering it does not change the volume on the 8802A.

Thanks for letting me know that info @Evan_Pickett.

I think we’ll need to take a closer look at what’s going on in your setup here and as such I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account, what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

After receiving said diagnostics, I will start a case for you with our QA team who will be reviewing your report, please keep in mind that this may take a bit of time to reach their queue with the Holiday Season but I will be sure to let you know after they have taken a look at what’s going on “under the hood”.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi,
Any progress? My Roon trial period has been extended so this issue can be examined. This is only one of many issues I’ve had with Roon.
Best,
Evan

Hello @Evan_Pickett,

I took a look at our internal tracker today, and I can see that your ticket is still in our tech team’s queue. This means QA/devs are still planning to look at this, but we don’t yet have a timeframe for when that’s going to happen.

Once the ticket has been scheduled and work begins, I’ll have a better sense of timing here. Thanks in advance for your patience!

– Noris