Now Playing Some Jazz [2021-2022]

Last night it was the second great Miles Davis Quintet on vinyl while tonight it is the same great quintet in high resolution digital from Qobuz. Sounds just as fantastic.
https://i.imgur.com/nENlGGA.png

10 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

Lovely track. Thanks

2 Likes

Anyone who thinks Jazz is dead or hasn’t been good since the 60’s and 70’s, hasn’t been listening. There are so many awesome musicians making fantastic music all over the world. When you get a chance look at Paolo Fresu’s bio in Roon. He’s all in.

2 Likes

Cheers Vincent Yes I have listened to 6 Albums that he is on mainly thru the ACT Label. Know he has plenty of works out there but getting the time to listen to all the great stuff is the big issue.

Some great Jazz from Europe (particularly Scandi and Italy) and UK in the last 20-30 years. Labels that I check regularly are ACT, Gondwana (Matthew Halsall), ECM and Jazzland Recordings amongst others.

There have been some great recommendations from Threads on the Forum in the last 12 months as well. Feel free to keep them coming.

2 Likes

Cheers @Torben_Rick Saw your Emil Brandqvist recommendation and listened to a handful of his albums again.

Great listening. :+1::+1:

1 Like

@Doug_Hannah posted this earlier in the piano trio mega thread. Just finished listening and definitely a keeper.

[The "I didn't know that one" PIANO TRIO mega-thread - #217 by Doug_Hannah]

1 Like

Paulo Fresu is so talented that even Carla Bley felt the need to seek him out. Available on Tidal and Qobuz and well worth listening to.
https://i.imgur.com/FWNNHfi.png

10 Likes

Continuing with the Miles Davis Second Great Quintet this recording is from a concert in Tokyo on July 14, 1964 and really isn’t quite the Second Great Quintet since this it features Sam Rivers (and not Wayne Shorter) on tenor saxophone. Before Rivers there was George Coleman. Once Shorter came on board the quintet really gelled and several landmark recordings soon followed, two of which I showcased in previous posts above.
This is a Japanese import, somewhat of an expensive rarity here in the states back in the day. Available these days on Tidal and Qobuz

Please take note of the little LAST sticker in the upper left hand corner. Anyone remember LAST record preservative?

6 Likes

Fantastic lineup.

5 Likes

This is quite good. DSD128 through a PS Audio DirectStream MKII does it justice.

4 Likes

I don’t know how to classify this recording. Jazz Electronica?

It has an amazing soundstage and the production is excellent. It’s from David Chesky’s new label The Audiophile Society.

7 Likes

@Vincent_Kennedy - Did you buy it from here:

But what do “DSD Package” mean? 64,128 , ? Can’t find any information about that.

Mary Christmas

Torben

EDIT: It is DSD 64

@Vincent_Kennedy added all three albums for later listening.

Thanks.

1 Like

Here is the complete list of the Top 40 Jazz Releases of 2022 from Jazz Times

1 Like

Soundstage is indeed amazing! Thanks for recommending.

3 Likes

Here is another great album of Christmas music in the jazz vein. Available on Tidal and Qobuz. Truly one of the best Christmas albums.
https://i.imgur.com/XMMfLhB.png

2 Likes

It is a little vague. I found this on their site:
“We offer both a Hi-Res PCM and DSD package. Some people like the sound of DSD and some prefer PCM, so we let you have both to compare. We also include a special headphone mix, as most albums are always mixed on speakers and the consumer just plays them on headphones. Our objective is to make a separate headphone mix, to try and make it as spacious and externalized as we can. The idea is to get the sound out of your head. Please keep in mind that like your fingerprints everyone has a different ear pinna. With some people it is harder to externalize headphone sources, and some people have no problem with it.”

“All Audiophile Society downloads come in a choice of two audio packages: The Hi-Res PCM Package (which includes a 192/24 speaker mix, a 96/24 headphone mix, & a DSD speaker mix) or The DSD & 48/24 Package (which includes a DSD speaker mix, a DSD headphone mix, a 48/24 speaker mix, and a 48/24 headphone mix), all in Mega-Dimensional Sound™.”

2 Likes