NUC will not recognize exFAT USB thumb drive

I am having a problem getting my NUC with Roon Core to recognise a 512GB USB flash drive. The drive can be detected no problem on a mac book and a windows PC. The NUC does detect, and can play back music files via Roon from a Portable 4TB USB HDD that I have, so I know it works in that scenario but for some reason cannot do the same with the USB Flash drive. I have run a chdsk on the flash drive as suggested above, and can see that it is formatted as exFAT so all good on that score. Have also tried putting the flash drive on all three available USB ports on the NUC. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

Try a different Flash drive would be the first thing I’d do. But then, I have 10 or 15 of them lying around waiting for something to do :smiley:

And, I’m splitting this thread into it’s own. Since this is a “solved” support ticket, official Roon support might not see it.

2 Likes

Cheers Dan, dont have any more flash drives to try out unfortunately.

Anybody managed to use a flash drive with Nuc/Roon Core?

Yes - thousands of us have :slightly_smiling_face:

Having said that - I did have one flash drive a few years back that refused to be read on a ROCK/NUC, but was happy with a Windows PC, so it can happen. Don’t know what the root cause is though.

2 Likes

Hey @kevin_wynne1,

Ben with support here, thanks for your patience while we work through each thread.

Are you still running into issues getting your core to recognize your thumb drive? What do the shared settings on the drive look like?

If possible, can you please reproduce the issue and try to connect it, and take note of the specific date and time? Share that info here, and we’ll be able to enable diagnostics to take a closer look. :+1:

Hi Ben,

When I have entered the thumb drive into the USB slot on the NUC I try to “Add folder” from the Storage setting and no drive is detected. I entered the thumb drive into each of the three drives between approx 16:11 and 16:13 (UK time) on 9th March.
I’m a bit unclear about what you mean by asking about shared settings on the drive - can you expand on that?

“Add folder” or “New folder”?

I’ve just put an empty16GB USB Flash drive into my ROCK/NUC system, and this is what I see:

The thumb drive has the name NEW VOLUME, and since it is empty just has a folder with the System Volume Information on it.

Are you not seeing the drive being listed in the lefthand pane at all?

Thanks for reply Geoff. I selected “Add folder”, and I then get a screen returned the same as your screenshot. However I have no drive to select in the left hand pane.

Strange, it really does seem as though Roon OS in your Nucleus is unable to mount your thumb drive. Have you been able to try another thumb drive?

No, I don’t have another thumb drive. The thumb drive does work in both my Macbook and Windows PC so I know the drive is not damaged.
The NUC does recognise a Portable 4TB USB HDD that I have, so like you say it’s strange.

Hey @kevin_wynne1,

After reviewing this thread and the steps troubleshot so far, have you tried a hard reboot of the NUC recently?

We were able to review diagnostics on your account, but nothing yet directly pointing us in the right direction around this issue.

Hi, thanks for update.

No success I’m afraid after hard reboot

Your NUC does recognize a Portable 4TB USB Hard Drive which validates that the NUC’s USB is working correctly and therefore the issue is with the Thumb Drive.

Since you only have this 1 drive.

USB Thumb Drives can be had for $10. You can just purchase another USB Drive.

or

You could copy the USB Thumb Drive to the computer for a backup. Then reformat the thumb drive and then copy your library back to the USB Thumb Drive.

NOTE: Before formatting this Thumb Drive, make sure you have a copy or 2 on your computer. Also validate your copy has transferred successfully. Then when you are absolutely sure you have a working copy, then re-format Thumb Drive.

I would opt for a purchase of a NEW USB Thumb Drive. USB Thumb Drives are not very reliable to begin with.

–MD

1 Like

Cheers Mike, tried what you suggested but still no joy.

Have ordered a new thumb drive, arriving tomorrow hopefully.

1 Like

So there’s good news , and not so good news. Forked out £20 for a thumb drive from Amazon with decent reviews. I have just under 500GB worth of tunes, so thought I’d test it out and copy a few albums worth of tunes onto the thumb drive and check that the NUC can see the drive and the tunes. That worked, so happy days.
The not so good news, the copy of the 500GB’s worth of files has been going for approx 6 hours and is only 14% completed. Sometimes when I check on the progress it seems to have stalled, other times it’s literally only doing a few KB/s - the best I’ve seen it do is about 13 MB/s.

usb

The other thumb drive that I have that is not recognised by the NUC takes about 4 hours to copy the 500GB worth of files. Such is life!!

I don’t see it listed specifically, your core is a …? ROCK NUC?

Where is the music you are copying FROM? And where is the USB stick that your are copying TO?

1 Like

It is more than likely a USB 3.0 thumb drive. However most computers older than a year still have a USB 2.0 along with a USB 3.0. They are backward compatible with each other especially for minor stuff.

However for projects as this, you need to make sure to use the 3.0 port. Normally designated by a Blue feature connector on the PC. Hugh difference in transfer rates.

–MD

1 Like

It’s a USB 3.0 port that is being used to copy the files.

And to answer Rugby, yes my core is a ROCK NUC, the music is being copied from a folder containing music on the C Drive of my PC to a thumb drive on the the same PC.

1 Like

So, as stated earlier, it was confirmed that the USB port on the NUC was still operational and therefore it probally was the Thumb Drive even though it worked on your PC and as it turns out it was the Thumb Drive.

Glad you have it sorted out.

–MD

1 Like