NUC7 vs NUC8 for Roon

Hello,

I am considering buying a NUC to run Roon in a VM (next to several other services like Hassio, NextCloud and maybe even SAP R/3, etc.).

@saschamt, I was planning on buying NUC8i7BEH just because it is the most recent one. But I came across your thread and see you had problems with it. Did you eventually manage to make it work?

@mike, I see the ROCK page still suggests the older NUC7i7BNH. Any plans on officially suggesting NUC’s latest gen?

Any long lasting known reason for picking NUC7i7BNH instead of the latest one?

Thanks,
Nuno

I’ve run Roon on a Nuc8i7BEH since early April. This ROCK installation has been very reliable. I restart it every two weeks, since it seems like a good idea. But I’ve never had a glitch.

One user (maybe two) had reported problems getting the NUC8i series to boot in Legacy mode. So it seemed Roon took an action to remove support for the NUC8i until they could investigate. The reports of problems with Legacy boot could not be substantiated (apparently) so it was added back.
Many of us did not have that experience. If you are fairly computer saavy (and it sounds like you are), I would not be daunted by this.

From Danny’s Post

2 Likes

We just put in a Nuc8i7BEH for our Roon Rock Core, only a few days use but seems to be working fine. The install was straight forward. Ours was built by QuietPC, no relation, but highly recommended.

• Akasa Turing case (Fanless)
  • Intel NUC motherboard (Intel 8th Gen NUC Core i7-8559U 4C/8T 2.7 - 4.5 GHz)
  • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 SODIMM
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250MB NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives for the Roon Rock Core operating system
  • Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD Solid State Drive, MZ-76E2T0B/EU for our Music files
2 Likes

Will throw https://www.atlastsolutions.com/ into the mix, they can also supply the above prebuilt.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.