Nucleus/core not connecting to remote apps

Hi @Matt_Dawson,

I brought your issue to our development group today because of a couple of errors we saw in the diagnostics. It’s possible there is some form of database corruption at play and we’d like you to try something if you wouldn’t mind.

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

This will tell us if the database is at fault and from there we can decide what our next steps are.

Thanks,
Wes

Thanks Rugby

Don’t have VPN and IPV6 not enabled.

I Just tried your suggested IP address…no luck.

Hi Wes, will try this:

Before I do…Forgive me for the stupid question, but how can I back up my Database if I can’t access the Settings in my Nucleus? (Note, I don’t believe I’ve performed a back up before)

Hi Wes, I’ve just bought an external hard drive…can I back up the Roon Database by manually copying the "Roon Server file to it? (I can connect my MAC to the Necleus and see all the folders, music files etc). As noted I can’t access the “Roon back up” via Settings etc.

If I don’t back up my Roon Database what would happen if I carry out the steps you have asked me to take above? Would my data be lost?

Hi, I did experience just the same as you after the last software upgrade on my Nucleus + Rev B. Everything was looking just fine in the web admin page - but no connection to remoteapp on pad/mac/iphone. At first, I thought maybe it was my NAS library which was the problem, so I shut down my NAS and did a Nuc reboot. Did no help. The solution for me, was to do a reset on Roon Database and settings. My personal settings and library is lost, but now it works.

Thanks- When you say your personal settings and library were lost, did you lose all the music files stored on the Nucleus ?..or just playlists/history/tags etc?

My music is stored on a NAS - no music files were lost - just personal preferences under Roon settings - It seems to me Nuc was reset to the original settings. Big downside is I have a large library, so it take a looooong time og scanning files…

Hi Wes, did you see my questions about the back up process? Just want to be sure I won’t lose anything before I generate the new Database…

if you generate a new database you will have lost all your play counts, manual tags and playlists etc…you music will still be there but you will have to add its storage locations.

roon keeps all its own info on your library its own database. it only uses your storage location to populate metadata that is not read from your music files metadata tags.

if you haven’t done a backup before then you will have to start a new database if the existing is not working. it might have shown a small red exclamation triangle warning to indicate there were no backs completed in the top right corner of the roon remote

Grab 2022-11-15 at 18.35.38

Ok, thanks…my Nucleus is perpetually “initializing” so remotes won’t connect to it…Wes advised me to do a back up before I generate a new database. Can I back up by manually copying the Database folder to an external hard drive? (My Nucleus still connects to my MAC)
My music files are mostly ripped CDs stored on the internal hard drive of the Nucleus…will these remain safe? Will the new database be able to see them? It won’t matter too much if I lose my playlists/history/tags etc…but it took me a long time to rip my CDs!

Hi Matt,

I think I might be able to help you fix this remotely by flagging your Nucleus for an update but until I do, I can only speculate.

It IS possible to preserve your data but if the data itself is what’s causing the problem, we’d be copying the problem back when we restore it.

Can you please take a copy of your RoonServer folder on your Nucleus and put it in a safe place? I would like to try this method but I can’t make any promises about preserving your databases at this point. Your Nucleus is on and responding to Roon servers but appears to be corrupted.

Let me know when done and I will give it a shot.

Thanks,
Wes

Thanks Wes, I’ve just copied the RoonServer folder to an external hard drive. It won’t be the end of the world if I lose my data (history/tags/playlists etc). Hopefully all my ripped CDs on the Nucleus internal hard drive will remain in tact. Before you do your thing at your end, do I still need to rename the Roon Server folder as “old” ?

Nope, as long as you have a copy of your RoonServer folder you’re good to go. What I would do will only affect your DB drive.

Wes

Ok, please test things as they are now. If it’s not working, we may very well need to have you follow a reinstall process that is more involved but we have great documentation to guide you so let me know.

Thanks,
Wes

Just rebooted, no luck I’m afraid…

Hi Wes, as noted its still not connecting to my Roon remotes. Will I need to do a reset? Please can you advise the steps I need to take.

Hi @Matt_Dawson,

One last easy attempt before we head to the hard one. I will list both though.

• Exit out of Roon
  • Stop RoonServer via the Web UI
  • Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to RoonServer/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs

Now for the more difficult path. This will be started at step 3 and the link should take you right there. You can disregard the fact that these instructions are for ROCK. When you’re done with this process, send me a message or reply here. I will be able to flag your account for an update to change the SW from ROCK to Nucleus. This process will not affect your saved files but it will wipe the database drive so hopefully, you have a prior backup ready to go when the process is completed.

PS
If you’re able to get this done before 5pm EST tomorrow I should be able to get you updated via the aforementioned update flag.

Wes

Could this be a possible firewall related issue between LAN and WLAN?

Could you explain your network equipment with a bit more detail.

I’m asking as outbound traffic to Roon is ok, but local traffic seems to be an issue.

It very well could be. We get diagnostics information for cores and @Matt_Dawson seems to have a clone of his core and both are responding to us. I was hoping the cache would be a quick fix but you certainly brought up a great point and step for @Matt_Dawson to try.

Wes