Nucleus knocking out the Router every 15 minutes

Yep, pretty much, though we started at slightly different points. Your questions might be more useful if there has been a recent change elsewhere in the OP’s house. I was going for a “let’s assume it could be anything” approach :slight_smile:

If it were random I could understand it, but I did a test earlier this afternoon.

11:53 Nucleus connected directly to Hub by new Ethernet cable (AudioQuest Cinnamon 0.75m cable).
12:08 Dropout/Hub Reboot
12:24 Dropout/Hub Reboot
12:40 Dropout/Hub Reboot
12:57 Dropout/Hub Reboot

You can almost set you watch by it

Yep, it’s definitely very regular. Try ruling out a REIN issue in your house. If that doesn’t work, and assuming you get on well with your neighbour(s), ask them to turn off their electricity for half an hour. If you still have the problem it’s likely not REIN related.

If you want to throw, a little, money at it. Buy a used bt hub off ebay and swap it and the power supply in and see if it helps.

I presume you have oodles as you’ve bought a boutique ethernet cable, presumably to match the decor? :smiley::smiley:

2 Likes

The hub was replaced a week ago, so it’s unlikely that two in a row would exhibit the same fault, but I guess you never know.

1 Like

Maybe one of these could help?

Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner, black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I use one for my AV and HiFi after something started causes HDMI audio drop outs and seemed to fix it. Of course something that is causing a router reboot might be too severe for this to handle, but just a thought.

1 Like

Nieghbours are my Landlord. I think they’d have a sense of humour failure if I asked that! :rofl:

The Hub is a replacement. So is the PS. Got them both last Saturday.

Fair point. Maybe try ruling out anything in your house first then :slight_smile:

I am going to close the Roon App down and see what happens. Doubt if it will make much difference though. :thinking:

Just to check, because it’s not 100% explicit from what you’ve said so far, I’m assuming that when you unplug the Nucleus from the network you don’t have the problem, i.e. you didn’t just unplug everything else and then assume it must be the Nucleus causing the problem?

Are you sure that the Nucleus isn’t using the same IP address as another device?

By default it should be asking the routers DHCP server to assign it the same IP it used previously, based on it’s MAC address, or else assign it an unused one in your IP range, but you never know. Worth checking the Nucleus hasn’t got a static IP assigned, just to rule that out.

I’m sure that it isn’t, but I will check that. Thanks

I don’t live in the UK but a quick search shows many issues with the hub. I don’t think the issue is the Nucleus but I do think without the Nucleus there isn’t enough demand on the device to cause it issues.

Did you try the quiet line test? Does your line socket have the split face plate? I see people have better luck plugging into the test port behind the face plate. Also, have you swapped the ADSL filter? Sometimes those can be bad.

Do we know if there’s anything the Nucleus (or other Roon core) does every 15 minutes that could cause this? I haven’t noticed my core doing anything with this periodicity, but I haven’t had cause to investigate.

I have seen many cases of multicast traffic causing router instability.

2 Likes

I had awful problems with my network, including with Roon, when using the trash modem/router supplied by Virgin. I think it was a Hub 3?

Anyways. It’s irrelevant. What was a game-changer was switching this Virgin ‘piece of s***’ router into modem-mode only, and buying a decent router. This bit-of-kit is absolutely superb:

3 Likes

Agreed, the Virgin Hub 3 is a disaster, but the BT Home Hub is a lot better. I ran Roon quite successfully for a number of years using a Home Hub, and only had intermittent problems. Also, while it might be the case that a better router (or mesh system) would ‘fix’ (or overcome) the OP’s issue, there’s still a problem that needs to be addressed.

I started with Roon and a BT hub 3 or 4 and now have Virgin Media, but in both cases I used them only as modems as they were both a problem with Roon and the amount of multicast traffic.

I also bought a Tacima 6 plug as above, just to help improve the power feed.

I use Orbi Mesh, but there should be plenty for you to look at and I think you can still switch the BT router into a modem for this.

Correct Dave…Initially, I was using a TP-Link 8 port, unmanaged Switch.

Into the Switch was the Nucleus, Samsung Smart TV, Manhattan Smart PVR, and Bose Soundbar.
I took the Switch out of the system in case a faulty port was responsible.
All devices, were independently connected to the Hub, by Wi-fi. No dropouts or reboot from the Hub.
Connected the Nucleus to the Hub, within 15 minutes dropouts and rebooting of the Hub, every 15 minutes (you could set your watch by it)