Nucleus knocking out the Router every 15 minutes

I’m running out of ideas, but a) does anything else happen when the router loses connection, i.e. does Roon pause, skip a track, or anything else? And b) have you tried looking at the Roon Server logs to see if you can spot anything that coincides with the router going down?

Previously, I had Bt broadband for about three years. In the days when I had a Qnap NAS and a Naim ND5 XS. No issues at all.

Defected to Sky, no real issues with their Hub.

Swapped to BT…I live on a farm in Cambridgeshire. The Broadband comes directly from the exchange, (Exchange Line) not from a green box in the road. Hence, the broadband speed is only 6mbps!! Crap speed, but it’s been rock solid…until 23rd Sept.

When the Hub goes down, which is every 15 mins, I lose Roon totally. The message says “Lost connection, choose another Core”.

Might be worth checking the logs then to see if anything specific is happening with the server at the time.

I agree Dave. I have sent the logs to Dylan @Roon Support.:+1:

1 Like

So the noise could be coming from the Exchange even.

I would recommend buying either a third party router like a Dreytek or a mesh network that can turn it into a modem so that at least it doesn’t take Roon down with it

The Engineer (OpenReach) have said it’s all good at the exchange.

They think it is REIN related (Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise), caused by something in my home, or a neighbour. The system has been rock solid for three months.

I read the thread, but I have never seen this in action besides on cheap device’s with poor power supplies that seem to randomly reboot.

You can try the Tacimo power block (I have 3 of these) or a more expensive device, or even a UPS to block the noise, but not sure if any of this will help.

Is this speed really useable? It looks too slow IMO.

1 Like

Funnily enough, it has been rock solid and streams Netflix without buffering.

I think it’s good idea to get @support to take a look at the logs on the Nucleus, something weird is going on here, it may be something to do with some sort of the Roon software bug or it could be something to do with the ethernet cables, or the BT hub or the TP-link switch.

I’m using AX86U which supports 802.11ax

1 Like

I still believe it’s a router firmware bug, every 15 minutes its buffers are overflowed by the multicast causing reboot.

Roon is regularly updated, it’s normal that the network traffic pattern changes so this problem was not necessarily triggered before.

Can the Hub be set to modem mode without routing function as suggested above?

If this is a BT router firmware bug (I agree it probably is), why are there not more reports from UK users with this issue? They would need the same combination of BT Hub version and Nucleus (or ROCK?), which may not be common amongst UK Roon users. The OP is also on some sort of Exchange line, which will not be common.
Routers have logs, they can usually be accessed via the Admin screen. Worth a look if not done already.

Try resetting the network settings on the Nucleus to see if it helps. Can’t remember how you hardware do this thougj It does point to some incomparability with it, if it only happens with it plugged in.

Hi Adam

Roughly every 15 minutes, from early morning until late at night. What goes on between 23:00 and 08:00, more of the same I would suspect. I’m sure it’s not the fridge etc…

What we can’t work out, is why it’s suddenly started doing it. For 3.5 months it’s be great!

Do you have anything else to run Roon core on such as a laptop to rule out if it’s the Nucleus hardware itself or Roon overall that’s causing it?

Have your SmartHubs had a firmware update recently?

Morning Tony

Our Hub is the HH4, Type A. I’m told the reason we were given this Hub, is because we have an ‘Exchange Line’, with a max speed of 6 mbps.
I probably can access the Hub’s Log, but I wouldn’t have a clue what I’m looking for. My IT skills are the most basic. The OpenReach Engineer will be able to see the logs. He thinks it’s REIN related. Where it’s coming from is another story.
All I would say is, when the Nucleus is connected to the Hub, the Hub reboots, so we lose connection.
All other devices both wired and Wi-Fi have no issues. Just the Nucleus.

I read the spec on my Hub, it says that it has a ‘Smart Scan’ which searches for faults. If it finds one, it will Reboot. This exactly what’s happening.

Morning Simon

Yes, I have an iMac. Yesterday I downloaded the Free 14 Day Trial of Roon to the iMac. I am running tests as we speak.

1 Like