Nucleus knocking out the Router every 15 minutes

Hi Jamie…No it isn’t.

For the sake of completeness it might also be worth connecting your iMac via ethernet to see if that makes any difference. As it stands, you’re comparing Nucleus on ethernet with iMac on wireless (judging from your HH4 screenshot).

1 Like

Correct I am.
The Ethernet port on the iMac is a bit flaky, as it’s 10 years old now. I do have a USB/Ethernet dongle, but I don’t know if that will give me the same result, in order to compare. I’ll give it a go.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to think of some way of testing the Nucleus independently of a direct connection to the router, which may be useful for troubleshooting purposes. You could do this as follows:

1. Turn on internet sharing via ethernet on your iMac (System Preference → Sharing).
  2. Connect the nucleus to the iMac via ethernet (using the dongle if the port is flakey).

This will route the Nucleus’ network connection through the iMac.

I was about to suggest the same, would be interested to know if any device (not just the Nucleus) plugged into the Ethernet port on the router causes these issues.

1 Like

Also, if the problem is a REIN issue, and it only happens when the Nucleus is attached to your network, then it follows that the Nucleus is probably the source of the problem. You could attempt to test this using the method I just mentioned (Nucleus hooked up to the iMac), but make sure they’re as far away from your telephone line/hub as possible (but still within wifi range).

Hi Jamie.

Samsung Smart TV, Manhatten Smart PVR, Bose Soundbar. All connect by Ethernet, then by Wi-Fi. No issues whatsoever.

Might be a bad PSU on the Nucleus. Are you using stock or have you added a 3rd party one?

Will try that shortly.

Update: Nucleus disconnected from the network. Nucleus switched off and unplugged from wall socket.

Roon Core put on iMac. iMac connected by Wi-Fi at the moment. So far, THREE Dropouts/Reboots within the space of an hour…

Interesting. So it’s reduced it but still happens with the iMac.

1 Like

As I was typing my reply to you, it Rebooted again! :grinning: So that is Three times in just over an hour.

Very odd. Does seem like it’s something to do with Roon and your router. I wonder if anything changed in the last update that’s causing more multicast queries that’s making it fall over. What endpoints do you have on your network and how are they connected? Did any of these have some recent updates ?

1 Like

I think that pretty much rules out REIN (or SHINE) and indicates that it’s the interaction between Roon and your BT hub that’s causing the problem. Clearly something has changed (i.e. you didn’t have this problem until recently), but it does point to some potential solutions. First, get hold of BT and explain the issue - maybe they can replace the Hub 4 with a newer model. Second, consider getting an alternative router or mesh system to attach to your hub. I moved from BT to Virgin late last year and, as was mentioned above, the Virgin Hub is pretty bad. I turned off the wifi on the Virgin hub and added a Deco M9 mesh system - it’s been pretty much flawless since then.

Whatever you do next, at least we’ve narrowed it down a bit.

I have had four Reboots with the last 90 minutes. With Roon Core on my iMac.

What is different though…with the Core on my iMac, Roon still plays, even when the Hub Reboots! Whats going on? Whereas, The Nucleus Roon Core would stop.

I suspect that when the router reboots it also resets the ethernet connection, so when the Nucleus is connected directly it fails. Wifi, on the other hand, probably stays up, so you still have your internal network and Roon will work.

I suspect that if you hooked up the iMac via ethernet it would behave in the same way as the Nucleus.

1 Like

It would be worth taking a look at @Simon_Arnold3’s question:

It might also be worth sharing a screenshot of Settings → Audio.

Good point Dave :+1:

Actually, irrespective of what you have connected, I think the next bit of advice is to temporarily disable all of them except the default output on the iMac. This will cut down Roon’s network traffic to a minimum.

EDIT: It would probably be a good idea to log out of Tidal or Qobuz too, if you use either of them.

For some reason the screenshot is coming out blank. I have had this before, depending what it is you’re trying to screenshot.

Try cmd-shift 5 to grab a section of the screen.