Nucleus+ Long Pauses between tracks

I’m getting really long pauses between tracks on my Nucleus+

The track artwork updates on the streamer and on the app - and status bar in the app goes back and forth to indicate it’s TRYING to play it, but then it just stays doing that for 15 seconds or so. I’m sure I dont have to tell anybody that those 15 seconds feel really long!

The naim streamer gets the artwork - then loses the artwork - and goes back to its own default screen - then the artwork displays again as playback starts.

The music source is TIDAL. It also behaves in this way for Qobuz, and (interestingly) for locally stored music on the Nucleus+ SSD.

I’ve restarted the Nucleus+ with no positive change.

So - any ideas? …have the @support team or anybody seen this before. I fear my Nucleus+ might be failing…again…

1 Like

Have you rebooted everything including the network, from the network outward?

1 Like

Well - rather (in)conveniently the house had a power trip this morning - and the network and the Nucleus+ and the Streamer was all reset as part of that, I was going to do it but I’d kind of been putting off as it’s a pain…

…so - yes!

…it was when everything came back up and was the same as before that I decided to log this.

HI @Matt_Crayton,

Thank you for writing. I would ask that you edit your initial post and complete the template in its entirety so we can have a complete picture of your setup.

I see all kinds of network errors in the diagnostics. These errors relate to identifying albums, connecting to Tidal, and connecting to your zones.

My first instinct in reading your initial post was a network-related issue and as our friend, @ged_hickman1 mentioned, he did too!

Forgive me but here come the questions followed by general suggestions.

Is this happening only with your Naim?

Is this happening with any specific grouped zone? If so, does the issue occur with ungrouped zones?

Does this happen if you use a computer or mobile device to play Roon on the system output?

Is your Nucleus connected to your network via a switch or a wired connection to a wireless mesh node?

Of the zones you’re having this issue with, how are they connected to the network?

Does this happen with DSP enabled? If so, can you turn it off and test it again?

Here is the template

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM).

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your networking gear (model of routers/switches/etc), connection types (Wifi/Ethernet), and any firewalls, antivirus, or VPN software.

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”.

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

Hi there - apologies - I should have completed the template. Here is the info!

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus+ with 8TB SSD onboard

Networking Gear & Setup Details

The Nucleus and the Naim ND555 are both connected directly to the same English Electric Switch - from there there are a couple of hops (via Netgear GS switches) to the Router. This is a BT router.

Connected Audio Devices

I have a Naim ND555, a Naim Muso and a Naim Muso QB, some KEF LS50 II wireless Speakers, and some KEF LSX II speakers. A few displays are configured. It’s a very rare day that i use more than one audio device at once, and I very rarely use the displays.

Number of Tracks in Library

About 180k tracks (see screenshot)

Description of Issue

See my original post for a description of the issue - not easy the screenshot - as it’s status changes over the 15 second or so pause.

Networking is of course my own suspicion - but the speed seems good (no issue with high resolution tracks) so it’s possibly more the initial “playback kick off” that seems to struggle.

My Nucleus+ had to go back to base a few weeks ago because it was dropping mid track - and then just wouldn’t play - but has been fine since it came back, so they clearly did something positive and that parochial tissue hasn’t reoccurred, and I don’t THINK is the same as this one.

Hi Matt,

Will you please address the items above? You can highlight them and click quote to answer individually. I know it’s a lot but I’m hoping to prevent a lot of unnecessary back and forth by being thorough from the onset.

Wes

1 Like

So - any ideas? …have the @support team or anybody seen this before. I fear my Nucleus+ might be failing…again…

@Matt_Crayton it’s not necessarily your nucleus+ that’s the problem! My Grimm Mu1 is behaving exactly like you describe, too. You’re not alone …

@support I’ll post seperately about my issue … as soon as I have time.

1 Like

@Bluebeat please do and include as much information in the template as you can.

There are so many variables in everyone’s setup that it’s hard to take a uniform approach to each and every situation.

Thanks,
Wes

Hi - Answes in line

Hey Matt,

Thank you for all of the answers! It sounds like you have an amazing setup that we need to behave more stably.

If you go to settings>audio on your iPhone, enable the iPhone as a zone. You can either connect a BT device to listen or just listen through the speakers. The idea is, we want to see if the issues are present or manifest in any other scenario. Then I just have to narrow it down to device possibilities!

Thanks,
Wes

This topic was automatically closed after 44 days. New replies are no longer allowed.