Nucleus + Migration Failed

Hi @jb76,

Just to confirm, you’ve been using your NAS attached to the Windows machine?

If you would like to use the NAS without having Windows always turned on, I would suggest connecting the NAS to the router via Ethernet.

Then, it wouldn’t matter if the PC was turned on or off, the share would always be visible on the network by communicating directly with the NAS.

Once you add the SMB mount point to Nucleus, it will remain there even if you use a different Roon Remote/Client.

To clarify, my NAS drive has always been connected to my router, not my desktop computer. I mapped the network NAS drive, via Windows Explorer, in order to access the music folder located on the NAS when setting up the roon core on my desktop PC.

Based on this clarification, will the second backup restore procedure you suggested in step #5 allow me to use a roon remote without the PC being powered up?

Edit: Secondly, would I be able to listen to my music on an alternative remote from the PC via Squeezebox without the LMS software being installed on it?

If you follow these steps and instead point Roon to the actual IP/Hostname for the NAS on the network then yes, you will be able to access it without the PC being turned on.

The IP address I am referring to usually looks like 192.168.1.XYZ and hostname looks like \\NASNAME\Music_folder. A further explanation for this is found at the end of Add Folders By Path guide.

Okay, that is where I am hitting a roadblock. Was able to ascertain the IP address last night for the NAS. But I do not know how and/or where to find the hostname as suggested in the “Add Folders By Path” link.

And if you can instruct me how to ascertain the hostname, will the restored backup recognize my current database?

@jb76 - It’s an either/or process, you can choose to use hostname or you can choose to use IP address.

Personally, I prefer connecting via IP address as this is a more stable way to connect (since hostname is more dependent on the router working right and broadcasting the hostame).

When you connect via IP you have to ensure that the IP address of the NAS won’t change so that it still remains visible, and this can be accomplished by doing IP Address Reservation in the router.

Here’s a guide on how to do address reservation for your router: Netgear Address Reservation.

In case you’re really set on using hostname, here’s a guide on how to find and change the hostname:
Netgear ReadyNAS Hostname.

Appreciate the info on how to preserve the IP address so it remains static. Will check out the link you provided from Netgear.

But it begs the question, why did the first “successful” database backup performed on the Nucleus not recognize my listening history last night when I used the IP address and it loaded 50 albums before I stopped the remote and turned off the Nucleus? Are you suggesting that the Nucleus roon core incorrectly confirmed a successful restored backup?

Let me explain a bit how this works - when you load up your database, there are entries for each track listed in the database.

The tracks are matched by audio content, not by location path. If you were to already have some tracks in your database and Roon were to see duplicates of these tracks, it would essentially match the old database entries with the first copy it sees and then the duplicate as “new”.

What I believe happened here was either the storage locations were accidentally added in twice on your storage tab or the Nucleus hadn’t finished processing your tracks and matching them up with the existing database entries.

I would perform the steps I listed above and let the Nucleus complete the import process. Once the “activity spinner” in the top right-hand corner of Roon is finished spinning, then you know the import is complete.

I would check only after this disappears and the database has had a bit of time to settle down.

Okay, I thought you stated earlier today that seeing the scanned albums being loaded with the “new” ribbon was an indicator that the restored backup was not successful. And you suggested it warranted a second restore to remedy the situation.

But now you are suggesting I wait till all 8,000+ albums load up and give the database “a bit of time” to what, to remove all of the “new” ribbons and recognize the tracks I have already listened to?

What recently came to my mind however is that I did not add the folder to watch with the IP address the way you suggested in step #3. Instead I added it by clicking the “Add Folder” button displayed in the first image I uploaded in my first post. From there I clicked on the Add Network Folder button in the Nucleus browser and pasted the IP address, with password and user name. Could this be the issue that caused the restored database backup to not recognize my listening histtory?

If Roon was indeed still able to see the first directory when you added the second one it is possible, but I can’t say for sure. It seems like it didn’t, but just to be on the safe side I would set the current library aside and re-import the database as new from the backup.

Once the new backup is resorted please try navigating to Roon Settings -> Storage and press “Edit” instead of adding the NAS as a new folder. After the import/analysis is complete, I would wait for the activity spinner to stop spinning and then verify if everything looks as expected.

Do let me know how it goes, thanks!

Was able to stop the roonserver in the webui. However, I was not able to navigate to the Nucleus database folder via Windows Explorer in step 2. It appears that my Windows PC does not see the Nucleus at all. Please advise.

Hello @jb76,

I would try opening up Windows Explorer and typing in the IP address or hostname. While I don’t have a Nucleus, I just sent you a message the overview of the steps for ROCK which is very similar. The difference is you would need to replace ROCK with NUCLEUSPLUS or the IP Address of the Nucleus.

Still no luck accessing the Nucleus database folder. Following the Database Location guide instructing me to " navigate to \\NUCLEUS\Data" produced…

So following your suggestions to enter “NUCLEUSPLUS” in the Windows Explorer search field took me to my NAS network authentication web page. And using the “IP Address of the Nucleus” opened another roon Nucleus + webui page on my browser.

My bad…I did not read the note further down the Database Location guide web page which states, " Be sure to replace NUCLEUS with NUCLEUSPLUS if you have a Nucleus+" So entering \\NUCLEUSPLUS\Data" allowed me to access the RoonServer database folder and change the name as instructed. Thanks.

A second restore is in process. Will provide a status update when it completes.

1 Like

The second restore backup process on the Nucleus completed successfully. However, I am not able to perform step #5 because the Nucleus browser does not recognize the NAS storage device in the folder view. It only sees the external hard drive, My Book, which is directly attached to the Nucleus in order to perform the restore backup supported by image uploaded below…

Step #3

Step #4

Step #5

Note that the “+ Add Network Share” button located in the bottom left corner of the Nucleus browser was the feature I used the first time to add my IP address which initiated a scan that produced all new additions with “New” ribbons on it. So I do not want to repeat that error unless you advise me otherwise. Thanks.

Hello @jb76,

Please try using the “Add Network Share” button located in your screenshot. Before when you attempted to add the network share I believe you added it on top of the existing entry, here we are editing the existing entry to point to new location as per step #4

It worked noris! Thanks.

So for future reference, I am guessing that what caused the error with the first restore was the path I took to access the Nuclear browser…instead of Overview > Add Folder button > Add Network Share, the correct path is the one you suggested Settings > Storage > Edit > Browse > Add Network Share, correct?

Although this is probably not a roon issue, I was not able to ensure that the IP address I am using to watch my music folder won’t change after following the instructions provided on the two Netgear links you provided.

Thought I had added the IP address for the NAS drive to the Netgear reserve list correctly. But upon rebooting my computer, my router took on the same IP address as the NAS and I was unable to log back into the router login page to delete what I had done.

Ended up having to perform a Windows restore to my computer which I do not think really made a difference. Because the Netgear Genie app on my computer was indicating that it was still having an issue logging in after reboot.

So I was preparing to pay for Netgear support when the app gave me a signal that I was logged back in. Was able to delete the reserved IP address and have had no further issues. But it scared me enough to be hestitant about trying it again.

Not sure why the router took on the same IP address as the NAS drive I had reserved. Any further suggestions in this regard?

1 Like

Hi John (@jb76),

This is great news!

As I mentioned, I can’t say for sure since the import never actually completed, but yes, I believe so.

That I am not sure of. You may want to try upgrading your router firmware and double checking that the MAC address you specified wasn’t for the router itself, but as you noted this is a bit outside the realm of Roon support.

I’m glad to hear that you have been able to resolve the issue on the Roon side of things, is there anything else that I can assist you with regards to the Roon setup? Does everything work as expected?

Yes, the Nucleus is proving its worth now that the core looks to be properly merged. Since my desktop pc is disconnected from the roon core and simply serving as a remote, the cpu load and hard drive temp are noticeably improved. The controller roon app functions and searches are much more responsive as well.

Will be testing whether I can control roon without my desktop pc being powered up tomorrow when I make my laptop the controller. If it works, I will mark this issue resolved.

With respect to protecting my IP addy from changing, I know my router version is up-to-date. And I call myself copying and pasting the correct MAC address for my NAS in the list of recognized connections as the instructions recommended. But it could be I copied the wrong one. Will maybe build up the courage by the end of the weekend to test it out one more time.

Again, I appreciate all of your help and patience throughout this ordeal. And I will definitely have to eat my words when I suggested that the support staff seems to only post during regular business hours 'cause you’re definitely doing some overtime tonight. Get some rest.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have your roon setup to run independent of one another like I hope mine will be. When my desktop pc was serving as the core, I had to keep it on in order for the roon remote on my laptop to function in another room. So it would probably make sense that the desktop does not need to be powered up if it is no longer the core.

Guess my main concern will be if I can use another controller that recognizes my Squeezebox player without having the LMS software installed on it like my desktop pc does. Realize that there is a conflict if I have LMS running on my desktop at the same time roon is active. But I have never understood whether roon still needs the LMS software installed on the controlling remote device in order for Squeezebox to function properly.

Would rather not have to install LMS on my laptop. And if LMS is required to be installed on the roon remote, I do not believe I could install it on a tablet or phone if I chose to purchase and utilize it as a remote sometime in the future. Maybe noris can shed some light on the matter.

Appreciate the link James. Based on my review of the KB, I would agree that roon is not dependent on LMS being installed on the remote device if I am interpreting the term “emulating” correctly. Will confirm our understanding later today. Thanks.