Nucleus Plus keeps dropping off my network

I purchased a nucleus plus in April. From the very beginning it would lose it network connection and re-initialize
It happens about every three days or so. I notice that ethernet connection into the n+ has 2 LCD lights that are normally green. On my N+ the right one us green - the left is amber. All the software is up to date and is reported as stable. I confirmed that my network is set up properly. I have a motorola 3.1 Modem into a Apple Extreme and then one of the was ports directly into the Nucleus plus. I suspect a hardware problem. Steve from Support was nice enough te do the initial trouble-shooting. It’ time to escalate to a tech.
Marty E.

Hey @Martin_Edelman — Thanks for sharing your report with us, and apologies for the difficulties here.

So we can gain some greater insight into what you are experiencing, please verify the following:

• Are there any noticeable patterns in when the connection drops? Is it during a certain time of day? Are you playing any specific types of content?
  • When this behavior occurs what exactly are you seeing? Does playback stop and your remotes are unable to connect? What type of remotes are you using?
  • Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable?
  • When this behavior occurs are you able to access or ping the Nucleus from another machine over the network?

Thanks,
Dylan

Thank you Dylan

1. There is no particular pattern re: time of day.
  2. I am using Room remote software on my apple ipads.
    When I lose the connection I see a screen where the unit is trying to initialize with a greyed out icon.
  3. I have not tried to ping the unit bit Steve last night did see a connection between your server and the unit. Please give me instructions on pinging the unit from a Windows 10 machine.
  4. I did try using different Ethernet Cables. All were new and CAT 7.
    Hope this give you more info,
    I still suspect a hardware problem. since I see the amber light at the ethernet connection onn the N+ since the very beginning of its use.
    Your thoughts?
    Marty

Thanks for the details, @Martin_Edelman!

How long do the remotes stay in this state? Do they reconnect shortly after?

What endpoint(s) are you playing to when this happens? Does playback stop?

The easiest way to verify this is to try using the Nucleus Web Administration Interface when this behavior occurs.

Knowing the above will give us more information about where this behavior is occurring (also make a note of the time in which this behavior occurs). If you’re able to access the web interface then we we know that the behavior is occurring in the connection between the remote device and the Nucleus. If not, then we know that the behavior is occurring in the Nucleus’ connection to the network.

The amber light just means that it’s a gigabit connection. Seeing the amber light is definitely normal, so nothing to worry about there.

Thank you,
Dylan

Dylan
The N+ is connected to a DCS Network Bridge which is then connected to a Meitner DA2 DAC
Here are the links.

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/products/network-bridge/
https://www.emmlabs.com/da2.php
Best
Marty

Continuing the discussion from Nucleus Plus keeps dropping off my network:

Dylan
The nucleus plus keeps freezing., I truly believe its a hardware problem. I noticed that when the ethernet cable wiggles even slightly the led lights go out and the unit freezes. I have replaced the cable but it still occurs. I bthink that the usb socket in the unit needs to be replaced. How can I get service?
Thanks
Marty E.

Hey @Martin_Edelman — Apologies for the continued difficulties here.

Does this behavior only occur when the Ethernet cable is moved? Or does this occur outside of that as well? How often does this behavior occur?

When the remotes lose connection to the Nucleus are you still able to access the Web UI?

I’d like to propose a test here that should give us a little more info about this behavior. If you remove the dCS Network Bridge from the chain and just play directly to one of your remotes are you still able to replicate this behavior?

Thanks!
Dylan

Dylan
I just sent the following Post to Andrew of DCS.
"Andrew
I have been having problems with my Nucleus Plus losing connection with Roon. Dylan from Roon has been trying to figure out what is wrong. He suggested a test where I bypass the DCS bridge and use another connection with the Vivaldi DAC. I choose to connect the USB port directly to the Nucleus Plus. I set up Roon and the connection was working but there was no MQA. Then the Nucleus Plus started stutter and Roon started to go from song to song like a slot machine. I shut down the Nucleus Plus rebooted. Both Roon lost its ability to see the USB connection and now the Vivaldi only sees my Aurender connection to AES input 1& 2 and the Bridge Connection inputs 3&4. When I change the the input selector in the Vivaldi it does not see USB or coaxial inputs at all. I shut down the bridge but it does not cause the Vivaldi to see anything but the AES connections.
I suspect that The Nucleus PLus does not like the DCS Bridge but I could be wrong.
Any suggestions?

Dylan
I just posted this to the DSC group.
“Andrew
I just solved the problem of lack of recognition by shutting down the ViValdi completely by the use of the Power rocker switch in the rear of the unit and waiting till it recycled. I was wondering if you have any suggestions about the lack of reliable connectivity between the Roon Nucleus Plus with my network. I am using an Apple Extreme Router. You previously solved the problem of the lack of connectivity between the Vivaldi and the DCS Bridge.
Thanking you for all your help.
Best
Marty”

Dylan
I will keep you posted as to whether the direct USB connection is more stable than using the DSC bridge.
Best
Marty

Dylan
Please go the DCS and view the discussion with Andrew from DCS. He links its my Apple Router. He suggested a Netgear Model AC 1900. I will try and report back.
Best
Marty

Hey @Martin_Edelman — Thanks for the update here!

First, I just wanted to mention that I’m going to keep these two threads separate as it seems like two separate behaviors we are taking a look at. I’ll continue using this thread for our investigation into the Nucleus+ dropping off the network. I’ll respond in that other thread shortly.

This is definitely a good test. Knowing if this same behavior occurs with the new router will further help us pinpoint the cause of what you’re seeing. As mentioned in our network guide, we recommend against Apple networking hardware as we have seen them be troublesome for many customers.

You also mentioned in the other thread you’re making use of a switch — would you mind sharing the model of switch in use?

If you still see this behavior occur when the new router is in use, I’d like for you to make a note of the time in which this behavior occurs and respond here with that time. Once I have that timestamp I can enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical team can take a closer look at what you’re experiencing.

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan
I am using a Cisco SG 200-26 switch but I have taken this out of the equation by running the ethernet from one of the ports in the back of the Apple extreme router directly into the N+. So the switch is not an issue but the Apple extreme may be. That is why I am getting the new Router. I plan to set up the Router to avoid using a switch. I will keep records of the time disconnection occurs after the installation of the new Router which should be Friday.
Thanks
marty

1 Like

Dylan
I have just replaced the Cisco Switch with a 24 port TPlink unmanaged switch TL-SG1024D and also replaced my Router with a netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 model R 7000. I will report back on the connectivity issues.
Thanks
Marty

1 Like

Dylan
The connectivity issue has been solved by retiring my Apple Router and using the Netgear Router suggested by Andrew P from DCS.
Thanks for all your help.
Marty

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.