Ogg Opus files fail to be added to Roon library despite Roon ARC supporting Opus transcoding/delivery

Roon Server Machine

Mac Mini M1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

LAN

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

N/A

Description of Issue

So slightly technical here please bear with me.

Roon supports .ogg file container and I’ve been able to play OGG Vorbis format files without any issues.

Roon ARC also supports transcoding and sending OPUS files (I presume in .ogg container format as well).

However, when I try adding Opus files in Ogg containers to my library, Roon is skipping importing these files saying “Audio stream format not supported”.

Filing this as a bug as it seems that Roon does have capability of playing Ogg Opus files (with the release of Roon ARC) but failed to remove file check validation limits on Ogg Opus on the Roon desktop version (back from pre-Roon ARC days).

This is probably more suited for a feature request as a change to the product. They’ve never said opus is supported.
As a side note, not sure roon have ever said what the files are encapsulated in, given their love of network protocols they may have used that feature of opus.

I understand it sounding like a feature request. But as Roon ARC already supports transcoding & delivery of OPUS codec, I’m wondering if this is a previous limitation that was forgot about by Roon devs (from back before Roon ARC).

Screenshot below: Delivery path showing Roon does support encoding files to Opus format before delivering to Roon Arc device.

Source: Arc using the Opus codec for lossy use

Hi @404,

Can you please upload one of the affected files here? Media Uploader

Our QA team would like to reproduce this with a copy of the track in-house before we reach any conclusions here.

Hey there I just uploaded a track to the media uploader. File has .ogg extension but is encoded in OPUS codec.

Hey Connor just wanted to confirm if I uploaded the files correctly, thanks!

Hi @404,

Thank you for your gracious demonstration of patience while we worked this report through our internal investigation queue.

Here’s what we’ve concluded:

1. Roon supports the OPUS predecessor, Vorbis, but does not support local content encoded in OPUS itself. You’ll need to convert the files to a supported format do add them to Roon, unfortunately.

2. There’s an active feature suggestion from other users to include OPUS in our supported file formats. The line we’ve drawn isn’t necessarily conclusive or permanent - please lend your voice here, as senior decision-makers frequently read this section.

2 Likes

Hey Connor thank you and the team for looking into the issue!

1 Like