Old Windows PC running roon now crashing and can't run

so everything was fine, had the computer off-line for a while whilst decorating the room, put it back on again 2 days ago and everything was fine.

Updated yesterday and it looked weird but started working, this morning, keeps crashing on boot (not the PC, roon does).

Never really had any problems before, so not sure what to do.

Tried the usual turning it on and off again, uninstalling, reinstalling. Still not working

Can anyone help?

I have moved your post from #uncategorized to #support.

If you had posted in #support right away, you would have been presented with a template asking questions. I’m copying it here, please provide the information so that we know what we are working with:

Roon Core Machine

<!-- Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM) →

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!-- Your network gear (model of routers/switches), if on WiFi/Ethernet, and if you are using a VPN–>

Connected Audio Devices

<!-- Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.) →

Number of Tracks in Library

<!–Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks” →

my apologies, never had any problems before so don’t come on here very often.

custom windows machine, running Windows 10, I 7 CPU, 16 GB RAM,

Wi-Fi attached library via Auralic Aries G1 player USB connection

13,366 tracks in the library

No worries, it’s just so that helpers have an idea. Sometimes it turns out that it’s 2 million tracks in the library or a 10 year old CPU with 4 gigs RAM, so it’s good to get this out of the way :slight_smile: Nothing obviously problematic here of course …

It is not clear what was updated? Windows or Roon Core?

it was Roon Core

1 Like

And just to be clear for support, are you running Roon or RoonServer on the PC? If it is Roon, then what might be crashing is the video component.

One thing you might try is updating your PC’s graphics drivers. Roon official support is Monday-Friday, everyone responding so far are friendly fellow users trying to help out.

using Roon

yeah those GPU drivers are all up-to-date, thanks

Hi @Julian_Fiorentini,

Are you still experiencing these symptoms? More recent diagnostics indicate Roon has been able to start up properly on the affected machine.

If the issue persists, we’ll be standing by to respond more promptly with follow-up troubleshooting. Thank you!

I had to install a non-standard beta edition of Roon, but that seems to have got it working again.

So although I don’t really know why it stopped, and I don’t know why it wouldn’t start on the latest version, it now seems to be functioning

(never mind, misread)

to the best of my knowleddge I wasn’t using early access, I was using a standard version that stopped working after update.

Sorry, I had misread it the other way around :man_facepalming:

I’m currently using verrsion 1228 early access (which is how I got it working)

I would really like to go back to standard versions, which is apparently 1244 at the moment, but my current version control says I’m running up-to-date.

How do I get onto the standard version again?

See How do I leave? here (and scroll down)

I just did that, now it doesn’t work again!

For some reason the new windows installation will not work on my computer but 1228 early access version will… I have no idea why

That’s rather weird. No idea, sorry. @connor?

1 Like

Hey @Julian_Fiorentini,

Thanks for giving us the update! I hate to ask this, but the best next step would be to gather and review your core diagnostics after you’ve reproduced the issue. I see that you’re on earlyaccess currently, would you be able to revert back to production for this?

If you could share the specific date and time of the crash as well, that would go a long way in our investigation. :pray:

the date and time of the crash would be the last time we had this conversation. That is the only time I have tried to go back to production.

As for core diagnostics, where do I find these? I’m sure they are still there from the last 2 or 3 times I tried to revert to production

Hey @Julian_Fiorentini,

Sorry for the lack of communication - our team would like to review a fresh diagnostic report in relation to the most recent build we’ve released. If you’d be able to give it another try, it would be very helpful :pray:

Here is more info for you:

Thanks!