One of my NAS folders doesn't finish importing

I moved my core from a Windows laptop to a Mac Mini a while ago and have never got it to finish importing one folder from my NAS though it is fine in every other way and adds so much to my enjoyment of music.

Roon sees three folders with FLAC files and processes them fine:

\DiskStation\lossless\High Res
\DiskStation\lossless\Prime
\DiskStation\lossless\Rip

but

\DiskStation\music [where this is the share itself]

is full of album level folders of MP3s but only 151 of them have imported and the little circle in the top right keeps chasing its tail.

Any suggestions for things to check before I document the whole system and ask for detailed help?

Paul

Hello @Paul_Jessop,

Thanks for posting your message here, I’d be happy to take a look at what could be happening here.

First of all, I just want to confirm if the mentioned MP3’s have any special characters in them, special characters in file names are known to cause issues. After verifying that there are no special characters in the file names, I would check the Setting -> Library -> Skipped Files tab to see if they are recognized but failed to import for some reason. Can you confirm that the \DiskStation\music folder is listed as a watched folder under Settings -> Storage? You can also trigger a “Force Rescan” of that folder in the same menu (Settings -> Storage) by clicking the 3-dot menu and selecting “Force Rescan”.

Please let me know if any of those steps resolve the issue but if not, I will need more detailed information on how your system is set up and how your networking environment looks like, you can use this thead as a guide.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Noris,

I looked at the Skipped Files and found only jpgs. They all appear indeed to be corrupt but they are all from folders starting 1, A and B.

I cannot see any special characters and this folder loaded fine under Windows.

I have previously tried forced rescan and also deleting and re-loading the share. Same result. I’m trying rescan again though. That just went through 10,000 tacks scanned without increasing the number imported.

\DiskStation\Music appears with “Connected, Watching for new files in real time, 2099 Tracks Imported”. That sounds consistent with the 151 Albums with the focus on MP3 format. Synology FileStation says there are 4090 folders with 45190 files (some of which will be JPG etc).

So far as I can see, all the folders starting 0, A and B except the Boston Pops got imported, but starting from Camera Obscura they didn’t. That folder’s “info” says it’s “smb://DiskStation._smb._tcp.local/Music/Camera Obscura - Lets Get Out of this Country”.

I’ll gather the full information. Thanks again.

Paul

Hi Noris,

Here is the full profile:

Roon Version 1.5 (build 323) stable (64 bit)
macOS High Sierra
Core on a MacMini 2010 2.4GHz 8GB RAM
Upgraded to 500GB SSD with 80GB free.
USB Audio module with optical out to a Meridian decoder

Music stored on a Synology NAS DS213j under DSM 6.1.6-15266 Update 1
Two shares:
“Lossless” with three connected folders High Res, Prime and Rip all full of FLACs that import OK
“Music” with 4000+ folders with MP3s of which only 151 import at all. Almost all the folders starting 0, A and B got imported, but starting from “Camera Obscura” they didn’t. That folder’s “info” on the Mac says it’s “smb://DiskStation._smb._tcp.local/Music/Camera Obscura - Lets Get Out of this Country”. Synology says it’s “/volume1/Music/Camera Obscura - Lets Get Out of this Country”.

“Advanced permissions” for both shared folders are disabled.
SMB enabled with workgroup COUNTY.
Minimum SMB – SMB1
Maximum SMB – SMB2.
AFP disabled
NFS enabled

Mac Mini is connected via ethernet
Router is Netgear DGND3300v2 (v2.1.00.54_1.00.54 – latest) with ADSL connection

Hello @Paul_Jessop,

Thank you for you detailed reply and providing all of this information for us. I think the next step for us here would be to enable Diagnostics mode for your account and see why exactly the import is failing. I have gone ahead and enabled Diagnostics mode and what this will do is next time your Roon App is active on the Mac Mini, a set of logs will be automatically generated and uploaded to our servers, I can confirm once that log report has come in. From your end, I would like for you to try the import (or force rescan) once again, and mark down the exact local time in your country (ex. 11:32AM) that the import fails or gives you an error message. This will allow us to cross-reference the time with the log report and hopefully see the reason why the import is failing. Please let me know when you have had a chance to do so and I will be able to confirm that we have the required logs and time-stamps. I look forward to hearing back from you regarding the time-stamps.

Thanks,
Noris

OK I deleted this folder and added it again yesterday (2018-05-30) at 17:45 London time (16:45 UTC).

Same result. 2099 tracks imported.

Looking forward to understanding what you find.

Best regards,

Paul

@Paul_Jessop,

Thanks Paul, I have added that timestamp to your case with QA and I can confirm we have received the necessary files on our end. There is just one more thing I would like for you to try while QA has a chance to review your case. Can you please try to “Disable” that watched folder and then Re-Enable it? You can access this setting under Settings -> Storage -> 3-dot drop down menu for the affected folder. Please let me know if that yields any additional results.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Did that. Roon scanned 20,000-odd files and imported the same 2099 of them :frowning:

Paul

@Paul_Jessop,

Thanks for confirming that for me, I have added that as a note to your case file. Your case is in the queue for review and I will update you further after QA concludes their review, I appreciate your patience here while that happens on our end. We will be in touch shortly.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Paul_Jessop,

I apologize about the slight delay in getting back to you here, I have just received the report from QA regarding your case. They have asked me to instruct you to perform the following troubleshooting step using a temporary database to see if we can narrow down where exactly the import is failing:

• Before doing anything below perform a Backup of your current database
  • Please locate your current Roon Database using the following instructions
  • Rename your “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Open the Roon app to create a new database
  • Add only the watched folder that you are having issues with (the MP3 folder)
  • Write down the imported number of tracks and the timestamp at which the import finishes
  • When Roon is stuck during this import, Terminate Roon and then launch Roon via Terminal using this command: /Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon -storagetrace
  • Let it run for 5-7 minutes
  • Terminate Roon
  • Manually send us this new pack of logs

The procedure that I described above will help us to clearly see at what exact point Roon gets stuck and provide more information to QA as to possible solutions. I will PM you instructions on how to manually send us log files shortly.

Thanks,
Noris