OpenGL Error on startup

Probably would need either the headless version of Roon, or have Microsoft start passing the OpenGL info when a session starts.

But you can get Roon to start either at bootup, or after boot with a batch (command) file. At startup you can use a RegEdit entry (Run) or add it to the Start Folder (good for Win 8. When using AO, your startup folder will not work if I remember correctly).

The batch file listed before (with TSCON and Console) should work fine for Win 8 and Win2012 as long as the GUI is running. But once you go to Minimal Server Mode with Win-2012 then the referenced batch file will not work. For minimal server mode I now use:

tsdiscon rdp-tcp#1
tsdiscon rdp-tcp#2
tsdiscon rdp-tcp#3
tsdiscon rdp-tcp#4
tsdiscon rdp-tcp#5
tsdiscon rdp-tcp#6
tsdiscon rdp-tcp#7
tsdiscon rdp-tcp#8
tsdiscon rdp-tcp#9
tsdiscon rdp-tcp#10
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe

I have my cmd file up to TCP#30 just in case I have had that many RDP sessions. So far works fine with Win 2012 Essentials in Minimal Server Mode.

Unfortunately, our interface requires OpenGL right now, and as I understand it, Remote Desktop doesn’t support OpenGL.

As @dshore mentioned, you’ll be able to run the server process headless soon, which will allow your server to run Roon without the OpenGL requirement. Note that you’ll still need OpenGL to run Roon remote somewhere else on your network.

Thanks for the reply. I am running Splashtop currently, and it controls Roon well enough.

I think I am more awaiting a remote player for Win7 or for my Aries. Having control of the music remotely (iPad and or PC), with the library on yet a third device (PC server in the closet).

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: OpenGL error after upgrade to 1.1

Hi Roon,

I have “OpenGL 3.0” error on my Lenovo X301 laptop that prevents Roon launch.

How do I fix this error? I tried Intel Driver Update Utility, but it runs into an “unknown error”, too.

A dead end?

Thanks.

Maxim

Hello @maxim,

Roon requires OpenGL 3.0 and according to tech specs your laptop has an Intel GMA X4500 which supports only OpenGL 2.0.

You can try to install RoonServer and control it over Phone; Tablet or another PC with a modern hardware.

Regards,
Vova

Vova,

Thanks for the advice, this might work.

Where do I find a description of RoonServer?

maxim

@maxim,

You can find the description here - https://kb.roonlabs.com/RoonServer
You can download RoonServer here - https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

Cheers

I installed Roon today for the first time and it nearly ruined my day when I got the OpenGL error, having just activated my 60 day trail membership. I tried to figure out a way to get around it but no luck - my video hardware wasn’t good enough. I now settled for Roon Server on the laptop and I’m very happy to report that I’m now able to use my iPad Air 2 as the front-end and the Laptop as the server with most of my music on a portable HDD. I would have liked to be able to get audio output from the iPad though, but I’m sure that will be coming soon. Playback sounds really good at the moment - having a listen to some of my reference tracks at present.

1 Like

Hi I had the same problem so I downloaded roon server and it doesnt open. Has that happened before?

Andy, roonserver runs in the background so doesn’t “open” as such. It is designed to run the system core on a machine without sufficient or any video capability. You can then do everything you need on a remote client (e.g. 64 bit iPad or android tablet or another laptop etc)

Hope that helps

Thanks that does help. So how do it work? I installed RoonServer on my Dell, so now what is the next thing I have to do in order to be able to use it? Do I have to download something else on a different device?

Yes. Roon Server is headless (Core and Ouput only) and you need to point a Control device at it to configure it. That could be an installation of Roon running on another computer as a Remote or a tablet or phone.

See this KB page about architecture and the Downloads page setting out what software does what.

I use Teamviewer and it works well, imho.

Ditto. Teamviewer is very good for this purpose. I use to access from other pc’s and also the ipad.

1 Like

Exactly, the ability to use a tablet to get to the desktop has saved me a lot of time.