OPPO UDP-205 MQA (via USB-In) is now live!

Here is my setup(s):

Two-channel (I have tried 205 in here)

Wilson Audio Sasha W/P

Bel Canto REF600M
Audio Research GS-150

Mark Levinson No 326S w/ phono
Audio Research GSPre

Mytek Digital Brooklyn DAC+
Audio Research DAC9
Audio Research PH9

Well Tempered Lab Amadeus GTA
Well Tempered Lab DPS
EMT JSD6

Cardas Clear Reflection (RCA/XLR)
Cardas Clear Reflection (speaker)

Multi-channel

Bowers & Wilkins 803 D3
Bowers & Wilkins HTM2 D3
Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3

REL 212/SE

McIntosh MC205

AudioControl Maestro M9

OPPO UDP-205
AppleTV 4K

LG OLED 65 C7

AudioQuest King Cobra (XLR)
AudioQuest Type 8 (speaker)

Any recording beyond a well-mastered 16/44 is a marginal improvement, at best, on either of my systems. It all literally sounds great to my ears.

1 Like

Thank you Chris for taking your timeā€¦
I think all is explained by the level of your equipment. Probably the level of excellence is so good that you do not notice any improvement. It happens also with a very basic setup. Mine as you see is a medium (-) setup and thatā€™s why I hear a welcome improvement when I upsample with HQPe. With Roon upsampling the improvement is marginal. Thank you again and enjoy your magnific equipment. Cheers.

When setting this up USB, should we use ASIO or WSAPI? I get the MQA192k on the top right screen of TV but it says 96k on front of 205. Also not sure Iā€™m getting the full unfold unless I use the WASAPI driver. I get the smaller purple dot and not the larger star blue dotā€¦Any help would be great. Yes updated USB and main firmware.

Nice stack Chris!

I am sorry for not responding sooner, but I want to close this topic.

Long story short, I wasnā€™t doing anything wrong or had any incorrect settings. With the help of @Chris_Kimmelshue, I got the settings right. The reason the MQA was not displaying is because my OPPO had a non-standard Bang&Olafsen firmware (donā€™t ask how, I was a victim of a clueless dealer).

So when I got my second OPPO 205 from OPPO Digital from the last batch, the MQA worked immediately with the standard US firmware.

So in the end, I sent the other OPPO back to California where they re-flashed it with the correct firmware.

Thanks again for all your help, Chris.

Goran

You are most welcome. Iā€™m really glad it worked out.

OK so what are the real settings for MQA to play natively? Iā€™ve read different ways and Iā€™m still confused on which settings to choose. Any help would be great!

With its latest USB DAC firmware it should be a Full MQA Decoder via USB input. So set MQA Capabilities to ā€œDecoder + Rendererā€ to see if it works.

Yeah I did that but Iā€™m not sure which driver to use, WSAPI shows blue bright dot and MQA Auth and ASIO only shows purple dot with no MQA Auth. Is WASAPI the prefered driver for MQA?

Does anyone have a screen shot of their settings showing MQA with Roon/Oppo 205?

With the latest base and DAC firmware, you can easily decode MQA within the 205.

What firmware(s) do you have installed now?

I have all the current updates but would like to know the preferred settings in Roon.

As far as I am aware, MQA is only achievable via the USB in on the 205. Having said that, here are my settings and the resulting output in Roon:

Ok so this looks like the WSAPI driver and yes I use this when in MQA only but is this the preferred method? All my other listening is done in ASIO so that I can up-sample to DSD512. Roon will not go about 384K for some odd reason with the WASAPI driver.

Chrisā€¦could you please send me the link to fix the XLR output on the Oppo UDP-205? I have tried to private message you, but my message is not being sent for some reason. Thank you in advance!

What firmware (for both the Main and USB boards) are you currently using? The link I have is for the beta firmware (that you are welcome to), but now that firmware version is official.

The latest HDMI/Main Firmware is UDP20X-60-0625
The latest USB DAC Firmware is USB-0118

Hey Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me!

The main firmware installed is UDP20X-60-0625, which is current.

The USB DAC firmware is USB-0118, which is also current.

However, I cannot get the Oppo player to output an XLR signal greater than 48KHz, as indicated on the display as ā€œMQA Studio OFS (48KHz).ā€ This occurs when I am playing am MQA file from Tidal masters, which I know is a 96KHz file after being decoded by Audirvana. Just as well, when after being decided, an 88.2KHz signal is displayed as ā€œMQA Studio OFS (44.1KHz).

All upsampling is turned off. I have tried using Audirvana as the decoder and the Oppo as the renderer. I have also tried using Oppo player as the decoder and the renderer. Regardless of which way I do this, the result remains: nothing higher than 48KHz.

Have you any other ideas regarding this issue? Also, after the MQA Studio that is displayed, what does ā€œOFSā€ stand for? Is it output sample rate? If so, itā€™s a good guess lol.

But any help/suggestions would truly be appreciated.

Again, thank you so much!
Ryan

Peter, I understand what you are saying. However, I have seen other OFS signals at least at 176.4 (corresponding to 44.1 signal), 192 (corresponding to 48), and all the way up to 352.8. These higher values represent what MQA offersā€¦a double unfold of the smaller 24/44.1 or 24/48 file to produce at least 176.4 sample rate, at least of what I have researched regarding the MQA process.

IMO, it seems as though it is getting the decoded MQA file, but the rendering is not happening. Am I on the right track?

I am not sure if this is the issue Ryan, but there is a lot of MQA out there whoā€™s target resolution is 44.1 or 48, so there are times when that is what you will see when properly rendered, despite the first unfold producing 88.2 or 96k streams. Apologies if I am stating the obvious but people do get tripped up by that.

Here is what I see on Roon remote and on the OPPO output (via HDMI to my TV):

ā€“EDITEDā€“
I also have Ultrarendu and Oppo UDP-205 with DAC with firmware 0118. I have a somewhat similar and somewhat different issue. Havenā€™t noticed it until I upgraded to latest Roon 1.6. Have you figured out anything new around your issue or have you figured out any way to resolve it?

Iā€™m using sample rate conversion to DSD 256.

With MQA I used to have 2 issues with Roon --> Ultrarendu --> Oppo 205 setup

Issue1:
I used to have headroom -4db enabled in Roon but it causes problems for Oppo MQA because Oppo doesnā€™t seem to detect core decoded streams and hence doesnā€™t enable rendering. It was a pain to enable and disable headroom for MQA playback only. I managed to work around that issue by disabling headroom and using -4db setting in sigma delta phase in sample rate conversion settings. These headroom settings donā€™t seem to make any difference in distortion scenario (Issue 2).

Could there be an option in headroom settings that disable it for MQA material?

Issue2:
After playing MQA (at least 96) the sound is distorted and the BBM of the playback is in another ballpark when playing non MQA content afterwards.

Settings for the reproduction (can provide more if needed):

• Oppo sound upconversion disabled
  • Roon conversion DSD 256 -3DB

Reproduction steps (easy):

1. Start to play Tidal MQA 96
  2. Switch to cd quality local file --> plays a lot faster with metallic distortion
  3. Switch roon DSP conversion on and off fixes the issue immediately or eventually
  • If you restart Oppo instead of 3) you start to get gaps in playback
  • Restarting Ultrarendu doesnā€™t make any difference