OPPO UDP-205 MQA (via USB-In) is now live!

My current system compromises of a Mac running roon, with Ethernet connection to Oppo UPD205 & Marantz AV8802a.

I can play Tidal/Personal ALAC library via AirPlay or Direct to the Oppo from the Roon Core.

But, how do I go about utilizing the USB DAC for MQA?? Do I need to purchase a new computer / NUC / or Nucleus system and directly connect to the Oppo? Or are there alternatives?

I’m confused about Roon Bridge vs. Roon Endpoint vs. Roon Ready.

I really like Roon, and I’m seriously considering the lifetime purchase option, but I want to know what else I need to invest to get the most out of my Oppo 205 investment.

I’ve contacted Oppo and they could not provide specific details on what I need besides a computer directly connected to the Oppo via USA A-B cable.

Thank-you for any assistance.

To utilize the USB-in on your '205, you simply need to run a USB cable from your Mac to the OPPO. Then, simply select the 205 as the output and you’re ready to go.

Thank-you for responding.

There in lies the rub. My Mac is nowhere near Oppo UDP205. And is not feasible to relocate.

Other than purchasing a dedicated mac mini or nuc computer, what other options do I have?

Roon Bridge? If so, is there a good overview on the different bridge options? I’m reading out pi and rupi pi, but it’s all Greek to me. If I have to spend $300-500 for a bridge, would I be further ahead and purchase a low end Mac Mini for $500-$800, and convert this to my Roon core?

Until then, what SQ can I expect with the standard Tidal vs. Premium Tidal? MP3 vs. CD/FLAC Quality since I will only be streaming over Ethernet to a ‘roon ready’ device?

Ah. Okay, so you need an endpoint. I have personal experience with the ultraRendu and I’m confident the microRendu would work well for you.

Either of these devices, or a Pi device, connect to your network and have USB outputs (to your 205). The sound quality from the 'Rendus is first-rate. I’m sure the Pi units are fine, as well.

The Tidal “Hi-Fi” service includes Masters (MQA encoded). I, personally, hear an appreciable difference with lossless and MQA files over the lower bitrate recordings. Your experience may vary, however. It’s a personal and subjective opinion that is not necessarily applicable despite being objectively superior (in bit-rate).

For that budget I think you would be best served and provided with better SQ by picking up a Sonora Ultra Rendu or Micro Rendu - I have the Ultra Rendu feeding into the USB DAC on the OPPO and it was the best sound improvment upgrade I’ve made.

So, are you implying a Ultra or Micro Rendu feeding into my Oppo USB DAC would be much better SQ than a dedicated MacMini/NUC (new roon core replacing my current Mac) feeding into the Oppo USB DAC.

Price points are about the same ball park.

What is causing the degradation in sound coming from a direct computer output? Without being able to demo both options, how much of an audible difference is there? If I understand correctly, the audio is being transmitted from my Mac (roon core) to the Rendu via Ethernet. What is the Rendu doing to process/convert the signal to MQA?

I tried a MacBook Pro > USB > to a few of my DACs, and the sound quality was fine. Sometimes it was a bit noisy (USB ports on desktop/laptops often are). Switching over to a 'Rendu lowered the noise floor dramatically, therefore the rest of the spectrum was improved.

Your DAC (the '205) will do the full MQA “unfolding/decoding.” The 'Rendu will simply pass it through bit-perfect.

Ok…the reason why I’m asking for clarification is the fact I will eventually need to purchase a MacMini/NUC device as I’m currently using my 2008 MacPro for my Roon core. It can handle the job, but not the most efficient computer to leave on 24/7.

If I can get away with only purchasing an entry level MacMini vs. purchasing a MacMini + Rendu, that would be a significant cost savings.

I’m still confused what the Rendu is doing or not doing, seems like it is passing-through the data from Ethernet to USB ‘bit-perfect’. For the price of the Rendu, I’m sure it’s doing much more than just that.

o, are you implying a Ultra or Micro Rendu feeding into my Oppo USB DAC would be much better SQ than a dedicated MacMini/NUC (new roon core replacing my current Mac) feeding into the Oppo USB DAC.

Yes absolutely.

Yes much more

“ The jump in performance affected by the microRendu over a Macbook Air is greater than that heard in moving from 16bit/44.1kHz to 24bit/96kHz with David Bowie’s recently remastered catalogue.”

Interesting…hmm…now what’s the difference between micro and ultra rendu? They seem to have similar functionality.

The best person to ask about the differences is Andrew @ Small Green Computer. I believe he frequents this community.

I use the ultraRendu and it’s fantastic.

Check our the link above it goes into great detail about the differences

Thank-you everyone for the guidance. It seems I still have lot to learn about roon ready, roon endpoints, Roon bridge, Roon Core …etc.

In simple terms, what function is the micro/ultra rend performing?

I’ve been reading what I am trying to do can be accomplished by using an iPhone with camera adapter and stream wireless?!? Did I understand this correctly?

I’m sure the results can’t be the same SQ between the two options. $40 cable plus an existing iPhone vs. $1000 ‘box’. But are they performing the same function or flow of signal?

My end goal is to be able to play MQA files from tidal/Roon through the usb DAC of my oppo 205.

The basics, hope this helps:

1. Roon core - a requirement and the fundamental component. This is and should be a computer that can run Roon OS/Server. I currently use a Mac mini to be my core and server.

2. Roon endpoint - this can be a variety of components, sources or not. Your OPPO 205 is an endpoint with multiple ways of interacting with Roon. You can use the “Roon ready” feature - via ethernet or wi-fi - and stream directly to it using this method. There are limitations, however. The most complete and thorough way to utilize all of the capabilities of your 205/DAC is to run USB into the USB in port. The micro and ultraRendu components become endpoints because they access your network. They replace a computer in stead. They do not have any moving parts in them to introduce noise in their outputs - most notably USB. They typically have separate power supplies, as well. This further contributes to mitigating noise.

3. Roon bridge - although I’m not 100% certain of this, Roon bridge allows you to have a separate computer attached to your DAC. This differs from the core because it does not store music nor connect to a streaming service (Tidal). It creates and endpoint via the device running bridge.

You could certainly use an iPhone or iPad as an endpoint connected to your DAC or even as just an endpoint using the analog or bluetooth outputs (or AirPlay, I suppose, but I have not tried this).

I hope this all makes sense.

If you want to realize full MQA unfolding, you will need to create an endpoint to attach your OPPO 205 to USB in. It can be a myriad of devices noted here: https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

1 Like

That helps…most definitely helps.
Thank-you!

Just to confirm…albeit not the ‘best’ or ideal solution.

I could connect my iPhone with camera connector directly to the oppo USB DAC.

I would then have to wireless stream mqa content from my Roon Core to the iPhone (endpoint) and then play through the oppo 205 usb DAC.

This seems like a step backwards from direct Ethernet connection between RoonCore and Oppo 205.