Original Album / Original Release Date

I’m getting a bit deeper under the hood than I usually go. With that said…

I have added the original album and the original release date to the Bob Dylan compilation: “The Bootleg Series, Vols. 1-3 - Rare & Unreleased (1961-1991)”. This data was conveniently found in Wikipedia and in the liner notes accompanying the album.

I added the two data elements to each track using Yate under “Original Album” and “Original Release Time” (the latter is mapped to the release date):

I then confirmed the proper placement using dBPoweramp:

However, when I look at the results in Roon, the date is incorrect (Dec 22, 1961 when it should have been Nov 20, 1961 for the track) and the original album (or outtake, live recording, etc. that I plugged in for this field) is not present on this Roon screen. Could this be a result of 1.8 (I’ve seen some posts elsewhere) or is there something I need to do on my end?

Have you set Metadata Preferences for this album to Prefer File? I believe the default is Prefer Roon.

I set the Metadata Preferences to Prefer File. Once I selected it, the selection did not stick after leaving that window, and was deselected upon checking book moments later (maybe that’s by design).

What I noticed after poking around is that under “Edit Album”, the date entered under “Original Release Date” is what appears in the screenshot from earlier today. So, that field is the original release date of the “album” and not the release date of the individual tracks which will vary as the album is a compilation.

So that clears up one thing (where the data was originating) but still leaves open how do I (or can I) display the original release date of each track along with the source of the recording under what I thought would have been the “Original Album”?

Yes, the edition release date not appearing is a known issue, which Roon are working to resolve.

See:

I didn’t think that the track recording date was ever displayed on the album view in Roon (under the track), only in the track editor.

These issues are connected to an older topic you made, did you see my reply? I’m afriad you are faced with limitations on what you want to achieve in Roon:

Thanks for your replies here and here.

Hi, @Martin_Schneider , @inonio , thank you for your reports, we have an open ticket about this issue. – Ivan

I didn’t think that the track recording date was ever displayed on the album view in Roon (under the track), only in the track editor.

• I thought I could force the issue and it seemed that “Original Release Date” is the most logical in that was the date the original track was released, and repackaged as part of the compilation. I realized later that that was limited to the album.

These issues are connected to an older topic you made, did you see my reply? I’m afriad you are faced with limitations on what you want to achieve in Roon

• Yes, and I spent some time reviewing both and found the File Tag Best Practice especially useful, and perhaps that got me going off on the tangent I was pursuing today.

From File Tag Best Practice:

That was when I thought the ORIGINALRELEASEDATE would be the perfect spot the tracks found within complications, but the above image is pre-1.8. Even for my intent to make that work, I see now that it might not map even in the earlier Roon version.

Thanks for the gudiance.

1 Like

You’re welcome, sorry I couldn’t do more to help you overcome Roon’s current limitations.

If you created a Feature Request for a method to optionally show recording dates at the track level, you might get your wish. It’s certainly a good idea.

Perhaps it would make most sense as part of a revamp/improvement in how Roon handles boxsets.

Thanks. I will do that. I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding box sets (I added my own, with some success, here ).

I’m actually going back to your earlier guidance to see if I can make it work within Roon (and if it’s worth the effort :neutral_face:).

1 Like