Os mixer problem with new Mac mini

I am definitely a new to Roon but I have done just enough research to be dangerous, apparently not much more.

I bought a new Mac mini, dragonfly red, and hooked up to my Sony receiver. I am using Tidal and have my library on an attached external drive using itunes. No dsd on library yet.

When I check my signal path all is well until OS mixer sends the signal to green. I have gone to audio settings and set dragonfly to exclusive mode along with trying all type of combinations and no luck. Is there a setting in my Mac to correct this? What am I missing?

I have checked the archives and just can’t find an answer. Thank you b

Can of share a screenshot of your signal path?

Hi @John_english,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Just to verify here, have you gone into Settings > Audio in Roon and enabled the Dragonfly as a Zone in Roon and this is what you’re using?

Can you share a screenshot of the signal path when playing to this device?

1 Like

You have used System Output rather than Built-In Output under Settings > Audio.

You’ll only get HQ from System Output; bit perfect from Built-In.

I’m connect by Ethernet to my new Mac mini 2018. It’s the lowest model i3. I have put tidal on the Mac along with iTunes library by attached external drive wd passport. Dac is a dragonfly red. I have this hooked up to my Sony DA1800es audioquest rca cables. Playing receiver on 2 Chanel direct.

Tidal works fine playing mqa but not Roon.

I followed directions hooking dragonfly to Mac so I’m just not sure

How do I get the built in option?

That’s a good question. I don’t know why you can’t see this on your core. But, you should be selecting the Dragonfly (Living room) not System Output for playback through your Sony receiver.

Maybe it is some setting in the Mac mini. This is frustrating. I’m so close

What is your objective? To play music through the Sony receiver using the Dragonfly Red or the headphone output on the Mac Mini?

If it is the former, don’t be concerned about System and Built-in output, simply change the Zone to “Living room” and report back.

To play through the receiver. Tight budget but I thought dragonfly red could handle this project

Okay, so to confirm, the Dragonfly is connected to USB on your Mac Mini and you’re using a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable to connect to an input on the Sony receiver?

So, in Roon click on the icon (probably a speaker) in the bottom right corner and click. You should see the Dragonfly listed. Click on this so it is the active zone (you named it “Living room” but it should have the Dragonfly graphic.) Now try playing something and also post a screen shot of Roon.

NB. You’ll need to click on the image below to see the whole thing.

1 Like

Got it! Thank you so much. Yea!

1 Like

That’s great … enjoy the music!

If you don’t intend to use any other output on the Mac Mini I suggest you disable the System Output zone. Click on the gears and select Disable (that’s from Settings > Audio > Connected to Core. You can do the same for Mac Mini Speakers too.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.