Paid Subscription To Tidal, Qobuz, Both, or Neither

What does puzzle me though is why some artists make it so hard to buy their music? I want to replace Raquel Rodriguez/Stan Taylor’s “Sunday Best” and all I can find is chintzy mp3 versions.
On the one hand, you hear artists complain about how little they make from streaming, but then they don’t offer an alternative to pay for what you want. Crazy.

Both. If it’s on Qobuz that’s what I use. Total for the gaps. I also listen extensively to my own CDs (ripped) and records.

In principle I prefer Qobuz but I subscribe to Tidal. Why?

1/ Qobuz doesn’t (or didn’t, the last time I tried them) provide the necessary metadata to allow Roon to do volume levelling which is a must for me.

2/ I can get Tidal significantly cheaper.

1 Like

Off-shore accounts have their uses :smiley:

Qobuz and roon appear to have solved volume leveling.

No, not really. Album normalisation still doesn’t work, see Volume levelling on Qobuz albums

Back to Tidal. I can save a couple of bucks per month and the library seems more complete for the music that I listen too. My Naim NDX 2 does not support MQA sadly, so I only get the first unfold in Roon but I could hardly hear a difference compared to Qobuz Hi-Res on my Stax so fine for me.

I also keep Spotify on the side for my Sonos setup.

I’m paid up through the end of the year for both. Tidal is US $16.66 and Qobuz is US $12.50. I have 837 linked albums in Tidal and 826 in Qobuz. So, only 11 albums missing in Qobuz and they are constantly adding new stuff. I like both and can’t bring myself to drop either.

3 Likes

I did the same. I didn’t find the MQA was worth keeping both. I liked the sound reproduction of Qobuz better.

1 Like

Maybe I can bring myself to that point by the end of the year. I think I need to do more analysis of the resolutions available on each.

1 Like

After having both for several months, and Tidal for a couple of years previous, I just found myself pulling up the Qobuz feed whenever I could. Both are good services. It wasn’t a money thing either, just figured I didn’t need both. I’m using the radio features a lot more recently since lockdown, for both music and talk radio. I just bought one of those portable CCrane3 radios that can receive bluetooth. Pretty slick.

No talk radio for me.

2 Likes

Trying to keep the TV off…!

2 Likes

Me too (10).

1 Like

I am going to miss the selection a bit. I made sure to re-add the albums I could to Roon that ties to Qobuz. If I reach out to Qobuz, I bet they would track down the titles I couldn’t locate, as Sébastien seems like a pretty cool bloke. And has always gone above and beyond when I had issues.

The problem I worry about is with new releases, I don’t know what I don’t know, so titles will not come to my attention because MANY hit Tidal first. Oh well. Not worth the extra cash and I own more music than is sane anyway. :upside_down_face:

Still have both. I tried to ditch Tidal but after a week noticed too many missing releases, so went back. This weekend exploring new genres for me like Reggae and it had very littkr compared to Tidal with key artists missing so to me cements the need for both. I have tended to use Qobuz more when they overlap and it’s got a hires version, same releases sound no different.

2 Likes

How do you go about requesting Qobuz to add an album?

This is how I know to do it, but there is likely a mobile option:

Go to the website on your computer. Log in. Go to Contact Us on the left hand side. Use the drop down menus for their catalogue then provide as much info as you can.

1 Like

Great! Thanks so much. I never would have figured that out!

1 Like

Tidal here but only to fill some gaps in my Library. I don’t like the mixed quality (sometimes it sounds upsampled from old MP3 files) and that albums can be removed or replaced by the service. I always live in fear to loose stuff or have a changed playlist what already happened at Tidal and also Apple Music. I still prefer owned Music and that is my main reason for using Roon.