Volume levelling on Qobuz albums

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOS Catalina; Roon build 475

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

wired ethernet; optical fibre

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

RoPieee with USB DAC

Description Of Issue

For some albums volume levelling of Qobuz albums already seems to work (Hurray). However, it always applies track normalization, even when in the settings ‘album normalization’ is selected.

1 Like

Hi @DeLub,

Thanks for reaching out. I’ve passed this over to the team to investigate.

Experiencing the same issue.

Are Qobuz doing R128 album analysis along with R128 track analysis or are they only doing the later?

Agreed, I have noticed this also but it’s not throughout all of the albums and artists. I’m wondering if it’s a ‘at time of recording issue’ ?

Now that qobuz is starting to provide this information I am wondering if there is a way to force a refresh on the qobuz tracks in my library so that whatever new data roon has can be used? Or does this occur automatically on a regular basis?

Perhaps this should be it’s own thread but since it’s volume leveling in Qobuz directly I figured best to add here.

I’ve noticed an increasing number of Qobuz content has vol leveling data, thank you!, however in addition to apparently being only track-level info it’s also wildly different than Tidal data. This is less than ideal when using Roon Radio.

This track with vol leveling set to Auto and -23 LUFS reports -16.1dB from Tidal and -7.4dB from Qobuz.

I don’t believe it’s stored in your db, rather the data is sent along with the stream so any changes or updates that occur over time would be included.

Thanks…info seems to be filling in over time.

Yes, but still only track not album and Qobuz values are wildly higher than Tidal for the same tracks making normalization not ideal when using both services or even just local files with Qobuz. Not that I play the same tracks from each service but when selected by Roon Radio there can still be many dB jump up when it selects a Qobuz track.

I suspect Qobuz will improve/figure out they’ve got it wrong currently and correct it over time. Hope so.

Did you find out whether this is a Qobuz or a Roon issue? If perhaps this is a Qobuz issue, like that they’re only providing per track information, would it be possible to work around this (to make volume levelling more useful, especially for classical music)? I don’t know anything about the R128 algorithm, but would Roon be able to approximate the album gain if you now all the track gains and the track lengths?

Unfortunately, the data Qobuz is sending down with tracks for volume leveling is completely broken/wrong. I get the same reduction regardless of the LUFS value set in Roon.

This is not the case with local tracks nor with Tidal.

Sounds more like an issue with Roon. But I cannot confirm this. If a raise the target volume, the reduction gets less. Just as it should work… … on a track by track basis

Finding Qobuz volume overall with levelling way higher than Tidal and most have very little reduction compared to my own material and Tidal, so still having to reach for the volume control.

The difference between the two services is really annoying it’s completely undermining the use of volume levelling as I know have to use my volume control. @support is this being looked at , it really feels like Qobuz is using a different scale. Same track from same Album -6.8 on Tidal and -4 on Qobuz they do not sound the same level at all.

For now I‘m also turning volume leveling off as the values on Qobuz and the values in my local library are incompatible. With Qobuz values my system is constantly clipping when I have adjusted the headroom to fit volume leveling of my local files.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We think we’ve identified what is going on here and we’re working to resolve this as soon as possible. You have our apologies for the inconvenience.

2 Likes

Thanks!
10chars

So both issues?

1. The “album volume leveling not working”
  2. The “differences between Qobuz and Tidal (or wrong Qobuz info)”

This seems to have got better over the last few days and the levelling seems to be more on par with TIdal. at least for the albums I have been playing recently @dylan did some change go out behind the scenes.