Panic :-) Holiday season is coming - How do you listen to your favourite music away from home?

Holiday season is coming :slight_smile: How do you listen to your favourite music away from home? What equipment do you use?

I am going to Andalusia this year, but I don’t have a “not at home solution”. Two weeks without music is not good :slight_smile: Panic :slight_smile:

https://www.ibroadcast.com/home/

1 Like

We, my girlfriend and i, rent cabins and/or use a hammock/tent for the holidays.
No electricity, no music, no modern life, bliss.
When we are on our way back home we hear the news and some music.

It is good to miss things you otherwise take for granted🥰

9 Likes

Mobile phone, Qobuz/Tidal, dongle DAC and IEMs :slight_smile:

EDIT: Andalusia is beautiful.

1 Like

Yes it is :slight_smile:

I synchronize my Qobuz favorites and some of my own rips to my mobile phone for offline listening, but also have USB Audio Player Pro and a USB DAC dongle to stream even hires music from Qobuz when internet is available - all set here…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thats for Android, isn’t it??

That’s right, forgot to mention it…

1 Like

I take my laptop, a portable SSD, and run my roon core on the laptop!

2 Likes

iPod, no need for owt else.

2 Likes

I use my phone which has over 500GB of music on it. Given that my phone has removable storage, I can take an extra 2 tb of local data with me and switch out as needed.

1 Like

I run Roon on my Dell laptop and stream Tidal and Qobuz. I use Verizon hotspot data on my iPhone and 2 iPads. If I run out of hotspot data, I stream from Apple Music using Verizon unlimited data.

1 Like

If in hotel/rental then just stream from Tidal on my iPad Air - have a Sonos Roam which adds better sound. When traveling on planes/trains my phone loaded with enough music for the trip with USB Audio Pro and a Helm Audio Bolt to wired 'phones.

1 Like

Good solution when using Android and cable :slight_smile: I don’t seem to any “good” solution if you use iPhone/iPad and BT:-( - I just ordered Creative BT-W4 (BT 5.2) and hope in connection with an USB OTG cable that it will work with iPhone/iPad

DAPs, Phones with SD Card slots, HiQ Bluetooth adapter, a pair of Minirig 3’s, Laptop with external drives. Tidal, Qobuz, etc. Hi quality IEM’s… there are many solutions, lol. You pays yer money… :slight_smile:

I’ve been trying to rationalise my holiday takeaway stuff lately. It’d been getting silly, so many options. I really am trying to cut it down to a pair of minirigs, a single pair of IEMs, a phone with 1tb storage and an IFI GO Blu to handle portable dac solution.

2 Likes

I have an AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt that plugs into my iPhone 11 Pro Max using an Apple Camera adapter if I want a wired connection to Sony WH-1000XM3 noise cancelling headphones. Otherwise, they connect with bluetooth. This works well when “out and about” streaming from Apple Music, Tidal, and Qobuz.

2 Likes

When we are away from the house, my wife rules the music selection. She creates elaborate mixes that are timed geographically and thematically to where we are traveling. She uses Apple Music to build them. Sometimes I will throw on a CD that I find while traveling, but it is 90% her incredible playlists. We don’t own vacation homes or timeshares, so all of our holiday time away from home is driving along coasts and to hiking trails. If we are out of the car, listening music is of absolutely no concern…except if I am using Apple Music to sample a CD I am considering for purchase at a thrift or antique store we stop at.

3 Likes

I live in a big house, open to the sea, the pool and the garden. I don’t need a vacation to stop listening to music and listen to the cicadas, the birds… and the silence. And… I don’t panic. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fiio M15 DAP, 1Tb micro SD. Tidal and Qobuz offline for when off the grid, and streaming when Wi-Fi is available. Altec Lansing LifeJacket 3, Sony 1000XM3.

I also travel with a Audioengine B1 Bluetooth receiver, usb cable (for charging) and an RCA to 3.5mm cable. This can plug into an auxiliary jack in any vehicle and stream music deform the M15.

1 Like

Hypothetically my NUC is small enough that it would travel well alongside one of my smaller DAC/Amps (such as my Chord Qutest/Chord Anni or my RME ADI-2 DAC). The Chord Anni is nice because it is both a HP amp and a power amp. If I was travelling locally with family for an extended stay, I would definitely bring my NUC and a better DAC and power amp… perhaps my Chord Hugo M Scaler and Hugo TT2 along with TToby power amp. I’d of course bring my iFi Zen Streamer just in case there isn’t an etherner connection at our AirBNB.

However, I imagine I would be more likely to just take a couple of my DAPs and load them up with music I listen to the most. I have a FiiO M11, FiiO M17, and Astell&Kern 2000. I love all 3, but would probably leave the extremely bulky M17 at home.

I may or may not use the native Tidal/Qobuz apps… not a fan. I find that when not using Roon, I prefer to listen to music on my DAPs that I own and have locally stored. I have about a terabyte of music I own so I should be able to survive without Roon should I ever find the time to get away from my crazy farm/zoo!

1 Like