Panic :-) Holiday season is coming - How do you listen to your favourite music away from home?

My solution will probably be:

• Astell & Kern AK UW100 or/and Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX

• Hama USB-OTG-Adapter, USB-C - USB 3.2

• USB Bluetooth 5.2 Audio Transmitter - eppfun (picture) or the new Creative BT-W4

Works just fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

We travel light and I find that playing music from Qobuz on my phone or tablet through BT to an Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2 speaker is great for casual listening. The speaker sounds very good and is the size and weight of a grapefruit.

1 Like

iPhone or iPad with Dragonfly Cobalt via Grado PS 500e ; Streaming or Offline with Qobuz . Works Great for me.

1 Like

@ Helmut_Pogel A small Q: What kind of USB-OTG-Adapter do you use for your iPhone and/or iPad?

I use a couple different Apple Camera adapters. One has USB C connector to my new iPad Mini 6 and the others have Apple lightning connector to my other iPad and new iPhone 13 Pro Max.

1 Like

This is the one :+1:

1 Like

I use Teleport

It gives me access to my Roon-server from anywhere

1 Like

I export Roon playlists (of albums and tracks on my Nucleus) on a MicroSD card in a Shanling Q1 DAP and use Campfire Andromeda IEMs. Small cases, great sound.

1 Like

Chord Mojo2/Poly or Chord Hugo2Go with IPad Mini via usc c (no adapter needed) sometimes iPhone with adapter

Apple Music Hi Res and Roon playlists on SD card direct via the Dacs

1 Like
  • Classic iPod upgraded with 1 tb SSD and larger battery
  • Kokkia i10s Bluetooth adapter
  • Jabra Elite 85h headphones
  • Etymotic wired IEMs

Not an audiophile solution, but certainly good enough and I love that I can still use my iPod

2 Likes

Plex with PlexAmp on IPhone with Dragonfly Black DAC or USB Audio Pro on my DAP. Use native steaming apps as well on either. Also have JBL Link 20 which I setup to use same Wi-Fi when away and it’s uses Chromecast or BT if on a shared internet that blocks Chromecast.

1 Like

Is there an iPhone version? I can only find Android.
Have a nice WE

1 Like

Nope I use it on my DAP which is Android based. Vox player for iOS seems to be popular but I have no need for it on my iPhone as use PlexAmp. DAP is also less hassle over all though. Currently using both in France whilst on holiday.

Pretty sure it’s Android only. Great player.

My Classic 160Gb is still doing sterling service in my car . It was my primary mobile source until I retired then it went into the car.

I have an even older one with a stuffed HDD, but here in South Africa its virtually impossible to get the SSD upgrade, I keep it just in hope.

These day I use my Samsung phone a 256Gb SD with FLAC, USB Audio Pro, feeding Sony 1000 MX4 via Bluetooth , for all the commentary on Bluetooth it sounds fine to me .

I have a AudioQuest Dragonfly Red but rarely use it out of the house , its used on the Core NUC with Bose QC25’s

PS Yes - USB Audio Pro is android only

1 Like

My MIL had a little stroke recently so, my wife and I are spending more time with her in NC. We’re here for 3 weeks this time. I just upped our Verizon cellular plan to get an additional 25GB of hotspot data on my wife’s iPhone for an additional US$10.00. We’re up to 160GB hotspot, 50GB per phone plus 30GB each on two iPads. In other words, I’m addicted to Roon. I guess that’s OK since it’s my only real vice. Fortunately, Verizon gives us a US$40.00 discount each month, and the iPads are 1/2 off with our plan. Free Apple Music and other goodies also.

Both iPhones have unlimited, non-throttled Verizon Premium data. Both iPads have “unlimited” data, but they get throttled after 30GB each. If I ever get Roon ARC working reliably, maybe I can get used to streaming to an iPhone instead of a laptop. IDK. I wouldn’t need hotspot data for that. I just much prefer using a laptop.

1 Like

Hi @Sigmund_Aalbu I got Teleport working, and I can see my core over it. But my iPhone is not available as a zone - I’m guessing because UDP is not tunnelled through Teleport. Can you give a little more detail on how you have it configured, on what device, and what you’re able to achieve? I know that with Arc available this may seem a little silly, but I’m trying to get a more comprehensive away-from-home solution working, and I’m trying to figure out how Teleport works.

Thanks,
John

Hi, John.

[account name change for me].

I don’t think UDP routing is your problem. I believe Teleport, which I’m sure you know is white-labeled WireGuard, routes UDP just fine.

I’ve had L2TP VPNs enabled on my UDM Pro based networks for a long time. Those have been stable using iPhones and Macs as clients including iPhones on mobile networks. When UniFi released Teleport, I played with it a bit but the connection wasn’t stable over mobile networks and I went back to L2TP.

I just tried using an iPhone with an L2TP connection to my network to see if the iPhone would show up as a zone. I can run the Roon app, and see and control zones on the home network, but the phone doesn’t show up as a zone itself. I wonder if this is because the phone is on a different subnet because that’s how L2TP works. I don’t know how the core discovers zones but it might just be walking its subnet.

I tried Teleport. I couldn’t keep it stable over cellular. So I connected my iPhone to my isolated Guest WiFi network and tried it again.Connected this way, it not only works but the phone shows up as a zone. What I mean here is that I’ve got Roon up and running on a Mac that is wired to the home network. When I turn Teleport on (on the phone), the phone immediately shows up as a zone on the Mac’s Roon client. When I toggle Teleport off, it instantly disappears.

That’s a lot of words that sum up to : I think it should work for you. I don’t know why it isn’t. I can’t imagine that you have your phone set up as a private zone but thought I would mention that possibility just for completeness.

If there’s some I can do to help you figure this out, just let me know.

Good luck!

I bought a second Roon lifetime subscription so I can use my Dell Roon core while keeping Roon activated on my Nucleus at home for Roon ARC.

3 Likes

Super helpful context. I didn’t know it was W/L WireGuard, but that’s great. Let me experiment some more. Right now my primary approach is to try to get a site-to-site OpenVPN tunnel, which I got working for most things but dropping UDP broadcasts, and then to try to get Aaron Turner’s amazing “crappy UDP proxy” running, which I have on one end but not the other. If I can get that running, then Teleport is just a way to close the port in my firewall for ARC. But I’m back to learning about docker and interfaces and all sorts of stuff I have either never touched or which I haven’t touched in 20+ years, so mostly having fun. I’ll get back to you if I need any help… the offer is very very kind and very much appreciated.